• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Opto Culverin

This disc is in no way a 0 turn. It is less stable than the many saint pros I've thrown and nowhere near a teebird or pd. Not hating on trilogy as I like many of their discs. The straight stable fairway mold seems to have eluded them so far, though.

So I was able to get about 30 throws each with my two new culverins. Also, I'm in San Diego, and its easily been the windiest couple days of the year. To the guy who said its a convict, it flies NOTHING like my first run convicts. I dont know if you just got lighter ones, but mine flew very true to a 0 rating, also mine are both 174/175. Love the feel of this opto plastic, feels much firmer than what lat has put out lately. Also the flashing has a nice feel to it, almost kind of like sand paper but very smooth.

I have 380-400 feet of power and I couldn't get these to turn over unless a 20mph headwind was at my face. It was a challenge just to get them to stand up. I would say it is definitely less stable than a new Felon, and much more stable than a convict/saint pro. It fills the gap nicely. They hold hyzer lines the whole way and even on straight shots, the disc always finished left. I really look forward to beating my two culverins in, you can put POWER on these discs and they go straight with little to no turn and fade. For noodle arms I can see it being very OS.

Maybe they molded inconsistently but the one I threw today was very similar to a convict or sampo. I do throw around 450 so perhaps they are more speed sensitive than a pd or teebird.

Maybe they molded inconsistently but the one I threw today was very similar to a convict or sampo. I do throw around 450 so perhaps they are more speed sensitive than a pd or teebird.

Perhaps, but for me the convict will show bad form pretty easily, thrown with enough hyzer it powers straight really fast, but if your off angle a bit it will turn hard to the right. The culverin hides form issues I guess.

So lets get one thing straight despite what the exact flight numbers say, what class are we putting this in? Already I'm thinking:

Saint Pro
Discmania PD
Innnova Thunderbird
DD Convict

Got to throw my 169 today a couple of times. Seems pretty overstable to me. Granted I only had a few throws with it and need to a few more.

I had some throws today with two 169g Culverins and I must say I'm happy with what I saw. I think this is way closer to the beat in Felon than all of the other attempts. Definitely more OS than the Convict even in the lighter weights. At the same time definitely held straight line longer than a Felon.

So I will be throwing this quite a bit as the weather improves.

I just got mine in the mail today and tried to throw it around in the rain. Man this thing is beefy. Held on great to the extra spin off my forehand without an excessive flare. Threw an ideal flex shot with it as well. Couldn't get too much on a backhand as it was soaking out there, but the ones I connected on flew beautifully stable. Feels a lot more trustworthy than my saint pro and might complement my spark well for longer FH shots. Now if only it would stop raining...

Is it Culverin or Culverine?

The catalog has the name spelled with an e on the end.

CULVERINE
This overstable control disc will hit the mark.
For the advanced player the first part of the
flight will be straight and it will finish with a
dependable fade. The Culverine will be the
perfect choice for long s-curves when you
want to finish with a strong fade.

I'm really pleased with my Culverins so far; they seem to fly pretty true to the numbers. I think they are pretty similar to Champ Thunderbirds, with maybe a touch more fade. These are going to go in the bag and I'll see how they hold up.

So after several days of field testing and throwing at the local course with my Culverins, they are going in the bag. As far as what I'm using it for, are straight power shots with some fade. If I think the wind will test my most OS Saint Pro or I want just a little more distance, I'm going for the culverin.

Super happy with it.

So after several days of field testing and throwing at the local course with my Culverins, they are going in the bag. As far as what I'm using it for, are straight power shots with some fade. If I think the wind will test my most OS Saint Pro or I want just a little more distance, I'm going for the culverin.

Super happy with it.

So in your opinion, they are more stable than the saint pro?

Yes, I wouldn't say a ton more OS, but definitely noticeable.

This pushed me over the edge.
Ordered 169 neon yellow.
I am a 300' max noodle arm, so it should be a good windy day driver (hopefully replace my pd)

For me the Culverin sits right between Felon and StPro. Profile is really close to PD, maybe a touch flatter.

I've been throwing a 169g one for a bit now and it's nice and stable. For the tougher headwinds though I'd still go with the Felon. Not sure if it's the weight or mold, but this thing will turn into headwind.

Excited to add this one if it auditions well, Never like the saint pro and my most Overstable frost rivers get squirrely in high winds. I would like to have a fairway driver that I can also throw a nice flex S line forehand instead of waiting to beat my XXX's to trash.

I got a chance to throw the Culverin yesterday afternoon into some very gusty winds, it handled the strong headwinds reasonably well. Powerful gusts definitely caused it to turn over, but it had enough overstability to bring it back in the end. The amount of glide it has is nice also.
It hasn't made the bag for sure yet, but after a little more testing it very well may. Things are looking good for it at the moment.

For me the Culverin sits right between Felon and StPro. Profile is really close to PD, maybe a touch flatter.

I've been throwing a 169g one for a bit now and it's nice and stable. For the tougher headwinds though I'd still go with the Felon. Not sure if it's the weight or mold, but this thing will turn into headwind.

This is what I have been told - exactly this. Decent glide, does not fight headwinds like a Felon, but more OS than a Saint Pro with a similar feel to a PD in the hand.

This is what I have been told - exactly this. Decent glide, does not fight headwinds like a Felon, but more OS than a Saint Pro with a similar feel to a PD in the hand.

I found it holds up to moderate headwinds.