• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Opto Culverin

My new one is sitting at the post office.
I will pick it up this morning.
I just don't know when I will be able to give any real air time

I had a couple throws with it in calm conditions against a Northman and Stag. Seems to be more overstable than both the others. It reminded me of a Striker with better feel in the hand. Have to see how it works with wind and throw the striker for comparison again. And a Verdict.

Mine showed up with some disappointment.
I really like the opaque glopto plastic.
I have had pretty good luck ordering "neon yellow" and having it show up being the glopto.
Not this time :(
Very see through plastic, and that always = hard and slippery.
I hope it flys well

Going by my limited disc wing design knowledge, by comparing this new culverin to my high PLH extra flat topped striker, I am pretty sure my striker is going to be more stable

Had some time with a 173 g Culverin this morning. Deflashed it prior to throwing. No wind, but I took some gradual downhill drives with it to simulate a bit of a headwind. I've been searching for a disc in Trilogy plastic that fit in between my meathook Felon and my Escapes. I tried the Saint Pro, but it turned too much in modest headwinds. I tried an Elasto Escape, and even though it was an improvement over other Escapes, it was no wind fighter. I tried using my Giants for tight fairway driver duty, and found that they just enhanced any throwing mistakes I was bound to make. I also tried the Sampo, which is is quite beefy and certainly a good wind fighter, but was more overstable than I was looking for (The Sampo flies similar to an Elasto Giant or C-PD, only shorter/slower).

The result is that the Culverin has instantly made my bag to fill the gap. I'd put the flight numbers at 8/4/0/-2.5. It is slower and not as glidey as advertised, but that's an advantage in my opinion for what I want the disc for. Its flight profile is a lot like a longer Verdict. Flew about 290' for me, compared to 320' for an Escape or 340' for a beat-in Giant. It holds straight for a long time before fading, and the fade is forward enough that its not skip-prone. At my 45 year old power, I could only get the slightest hint of a high speed turn when throwing downhill. Based on a sample size of one disc, so your mileage may differ.

I think the comparison to a Verdict is correct. I'm not sure though if the Culverin is longer though for average arm speed. I had a couple throws into a breeze of headwind. The Culverin didn't flip on me but still doesn't behave like a meathook. Good disc that fills a gap.

I got a couple of test throws on it today, not sure what to think

Sorry to hear that, but for me, its definitely the best of the new molds from latitude. Especially in heavier weights.

I picked one up the other day and I was looking for a longer verdict with a tad more fade. I found it. It's going to be my main driver in my bag and will probably pick up another soon for when this one beats in. This is definitely a staple in my bag now. I haven't thrown some of the other discs some of y'all have been talking about, but this one worked really well. I got some nice skips out of it if I kept it flat, any kind of hyzer and it was sticking to that line and digging in the ground once it turned. I don't have the arm speed to flip this thing over at all, but keeping it flat, works perfect for me.

FYI, the first 3 or so times it hit anything, even a slight branch, it nose dived into the ground... no bouncing... just STOP and PLOP, but once it got past that, it was cutting threw branches left and right for the rest of the throws (if it ran into them).

I've thrown 3 different Culverins now...

172g red, 174g purple, 174g pink
All fly identical (I was most surprised by this). At about 370' drives, they stayed stable with good forward fade. Thrown flat into a headwind, they turned over a bit but still faded back to finish just left of my line. Tailwinds kept them nice and stable. Clean FH shots had similar results (at about the same distance). Oh a low FH hyzer, these have a nice skip to them.

To me it compares to an S-PD. Would make a good compliment to a Saint or Escape (if sticking with the Trilogy brands; in my case it pairs very well with a Phenom).

So after a couple of weeks with my two 175's, They have turned into really nice straight/stable flyers. I can trust them into wind when thrown with hyzer, and boy do they bomb. I'm really loving these, they are going to be replacing my broken in felons, and now I can use the felon for what it was meant for.

I am extremely impressed by this disc. I love my Thunderbirds, but after a long (long in the time since, most enjoyable of course ;) ) weekend of field testing and comparing to my favorite Star and Champ THs, I have to say that the Culverin is definitely taking their place in my bag this Spring. Was anyone else surprised by the glide? I mean mine (168 g) was lofting around just like my max weight Recycled Saint. Maybe it's wishful watching, but really a great disc!

Trilogy player here. The thunderbird made the bag though. It is one up from my saint pros. When i need a bit more distance and a hair more wind fighting power. The thunderbird is a flawless mold. Much like the enforcer as their is a perfect transition across the flight plate.
If the culervin is like this then kudos on another "mold breaker."

My local shop just got half a dozen of them.
And the PLH was pretty close on all of them.
But I did notice that the dome varied a little bit.

Trilogy player here. The thunderbird made the bag though. It is one up from my saint pros. When i need a bit more distance and a hair more wind fighting power. The thunderbird is a flawless mold. Much like the enforcer as their is a perfect transition across the flight plate.
If the culervin is like this then kudos on another "mold breaker."

I found the Culverin to be an improvement upon the Thunderbird, and not just because I enjoy Opto more than Champion ;) It seems a bit faster than my Thunderbirds, which I really enjoyed, not to mention a bit more glide for some reason... Just beautiful flights.

I have to say that the Culverin has won a place in the bag for sure. It is quite amazing disc as the 169g one holds a line without any turn, but still goes straight for a long time before the fade kicks in.

I can even throw it into a moderate uphill and still have it go straight for most of the flight.

Into tougher headwind I would still go with the Felon, but milder winds and heavier weigth Culverins cooperate just fine.

I've been throwing the culverin for a few weeks now, including bagging it for a four round tourney. It is a great control driver and is hands down the best Lat64 mold I have thrown.

I concur with the assessments that the Culverin is like a thunderbird with a touch more glide. With the sweet opto plastic, it is a no-brainer for winning that spot in the bag. The extra glide helps give it a little more differentiation from disc in the teebird speed class and helps cut down on overlap.

My 170g has been taking some serious abuse and is getting a little longer, but still not showing any turn unless thrown flat at full power. So far, it is retaining a healthy fade. I really hope these are popular enough to get the full range of plastic options, because it seems like the kind of mold that could cover a lot of shots.

Latest posts