• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Orc Replacement

late response to a old thread but as a fellow old orc lover/thrower: prodigy h3v2-any of the premium plastics feel and fly great. Rim feels speed 9 but is comfortable. Orcs have that 400' hyzer flip to a slight turn 8' off the ground. These (h3v2) are capable of that after minimal break in. They also match the forehand flight of orcs. Other than those the new beast (x-mold) feel and fly more like the great vintage orcs at a fraction of the price and headache of finding one.

I see a lot of 1.85cm rims being suggested to replace an orc, a 2.0cm rim. PDs, Olfs, etc, those are fairway drivers! Orcs typically go further and fly faster than those because of the bigger rim. I don't necessarily have a suggestion for the 6-year-old OP question but I do think a real orc replacement should have a 2.0 or 2.1cm rim. The Orc is a driver through and through. Calipers are a great $10 investment for evaluating these things, especially because listed pdga spec rim width is often incorrect. Just thought I'd give my two cents. Speeds are BS, especially across brands. An orc and a PD may have the same speed listed but they are not the same speed. Rim width is everything and a good way to get grip consistency in your bag.

PD, Musket, Boatman, Anax, Vulture are all fairly similar to an Orc.

Of the lot I'd pick the Anax. It's maybe a hair slower than an Orc, but will go every bit as far without turning. The Musket is also worth a look, but they start getting flippy long before an Orc will.

PD is about the same speed as an Orc, but has less turn. They can be beefy.

I see a lot of 1.85cm rims being suggested to replace an orc, a 2.0cm rim. PDs, Olfs, etc, those are fairway drivers! Orcs typically go further and fly faster than those because of the bigger rim. I don't necessarily have a suggestion for the 6-year-old OP question but I do think a real orc replacement should have a 2.0 or 2.1cm rim. The Orc is a driver through and through. Calipers are a great $10 investment for evaluating these things, especially because listed pdga spec rim width is often incorrect. Just thought I'd give my two cents. Speeds are BS, especially across brands. An orc and a PD may have the same speed listed but they are not the same speed. Rim width is everything and a good way to get grip consistency in your bag.
Agree that comparing speed ratings between different brands can be misleading. PDGA seems to round their measurements to nearest tenth which can be misleading.

Orc could be the OS distance driver for a lower arm speed player for sure. But if a golfer can get a 11+ speed to fly correctly an Orc may be closer to those 9-10 speed drivers with the Firebird rim width.

To me it makes sense to differentiate the Innova 6-8 speed from the 9-10 and 11+ speeds so I put the 'fairway' designation on the 6-8 and 'control/hybrid' on 9-10. Innova designates 9+ as distance drivers on their page. At some point they were all 'long distance' in Innova's history.

Orc is a interesting disc that I tried once again in 2023 with the new stock runs of Champ and Star being run. Stock Star one I grabbed was pretty beefy to start but I think my dislike for the aggressive flashing on all Innova OS 2.0cm drivers (Invictus/Orc/PDx/Starfire) was a factor for not sticking with it very long.

I'd think a Mint Longhorn or Dynamic Discs Sergeant would replace a Orc pretty well. Stepping up to a Wraith is always an option.

Agree that comparing speed ratings between different brands can be misleading. PDGA seems to round their measurements to nearest tenth which can be misleading.

Orc could be the OS distance driver for a lower arm speed player for sure. But if a golfer can get a 11+ speed to fly correctly an Orc may be closer to those 9-10 speed drivers with the Firebird rim width.

To me it makes sense to differentiate the Innova 6-8 speed from the 9-10 and 11+ speeds so I put the 'fairway' designation on the 6-8 and 'control/hybrid' on 9-10. Innova designates 9+ as distance drivers on their page. At some point they were all 'long distance' in Innova's history.

Orc is a interesting disc that I tried once again in 2023 with the new stock runs of Champ and Star being run. Stock Star one I grabbed was pretty beefy to start but I think my dislike for the aggressive flashing on all Innova OS 2.0cm drivers (Invictus/Orc/PDx/Starfire) was a factor for not sticking with it very long.

I'd think a Mint Longhorn or Dynamic Discs Sergeant would replace a Orc pretty well. Stepping up to a Wraith is always an option.
If you're talking Innova then Orcs are literally closer to 11 speeds than 9 speeds. Orc rim width is about 20.6mm with most 9 speeds being 18.8-19.1mm and Wraiths about 21.6mm. Heck, some 11 speeds have a narrower rim width than the Orc, like the Mamba and Mystere being around 20.3mm.

6-8 speeds are a different matter entirely with most of them being relatively close at about 16.5-17.6mm.

Not trying to start an argument or anything; 19-21mm rimmed discs generally occupy the "control/hybrid" slot in my brain too, and the Sergeant recommendation is spot on. I just don't like comparing discs of considerably different speeds too closely just because they've been marketed a certain way.