• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Out of the game for 10 years- I need an adult!!

DenverDisc

I haven't really played in 10 years but as my 10 year old is now getting into the game I am looking to update my antiquated discs. Here is what I previously used:

Destroyers
TL
T-bird
Leopard
Buzz
Soft Wizard

Have there been any significant upgrades that would kick these discs out of the bag? Thanks!

- I also posted some old discs in the 'is this worth anything' thread if anyone wants to crush my dreams.

Last edited:
Those are all solid discs... I could easily play with just those. They all are beginner friendly too*... Seeing as how you are getting back into it, some of your game will look like a new player.

*The destroyer is a little less beginner friendly...but shouldn't be too hard to work.

Thanks for the input. Me and my wallet thank you! About playing like a beginner, I know what you mean. After a few field sessions, I have a lot of my distance back but I am putting with the acumen of a drunken child. To the technique section!

Good bag. No one would know you've been gone, although you might check your Buzzz, Teebird, and other discs to see if they're special and somehow worth too much to keep throwing... My only question is, why no Firebird? But you had that option 10 years ago as well.

There is, however, lots of "new" plastic to try. But there are probably plenty of folks on here who have all those discs in your bag. TL maybe less, but all the others are really, really common still. I still prefer Teebird to Teebird3, and Leopard to Leopard3.

I haven't really played in 10 years but as my 10 year old is now getting into the game I am looking to update my antiquated discs. Here is what I previously used:

Destroyers
TL
T-bird
Leopard
Buzz
Soft Wizard

Have there been any significant upgrades that would kick these discs out of the bag? Thanks!

- I also posted some old discs in the 'is this worth anything' thread if anyone wants to crush my dreams.

Dump that old plastic in the trash, gramps. I've got one word for you - V-Tech. Thank me later. :hfive:

Just kidding though, I'd say stick with what you used to throw. They haven't come out with anything better this past 10 years, just different.

Good bag. No one would know you've been gone, although you might check your Buzzz, Teebird, and other discs to see if they're special and somehow worth too much to keep throwing... My only question is, why no Firebird? But you had that option 10 years ago as well.

There is, however, lots of "new" plastic to try. But there are probably plenty of folks on here who have all those discs in your bag. TL maybe less, but all the others are really, really common still. I still prefer Teebird to Teebird3, and Leopard to Leopard3.

Why no firebird? I just never fell in love with any over-stable disc. Monster, whippet, crush, teerex, max, predator, flick and who knows what else cycled through trying to find a permanent home.

Even back in old days, no one seemed to use the TL and I didn't get it. If a straightforward hole was too long for a buzzz, I would go TL almost every time. A little hyser release and it would flip to level, hold its line forever then gently fade left and ever so softly and slide against the base of the pole. ;) Maybe only 35' shorter than the destroyer but with a way tighter shot dispersion for me.
<3TL<3

I also throw Destroyers, Teebirds, Buzzzes, and Wizards. Here are the compliments I've added over the years..

Shryke - My "easy distance" driver to compliment the Destroyer. I like this one for open shots where I need to get down the fairway as far as possible. It flies like a beat Destro with a more forward-penetrating fade. It's fairly straight when thrown flat but I can turn it over easy if I put any anny on it.

Teebird3 - My go-to fairway driver now. I like the bit of extra speed so I can really add some torque if needed. It's great for hyzers and flex lines. Just a little more dependable in the wind and a nice compliment to the Teebird and TL.

Buzzz SS and Buzzz OS - These feel very similar to the Buzzz but fly more understable/overstable. The SS is one that I use for straight to turnover shots. The OS is a great disc for fighting the wind and throwing forehand.

Magic - My compliment to the Wizard is the Magic: essentially a beadless Wizard that is very neutral. I'll use the Magic for downhill putts, straight to anny approaches, and is great for about anything inside the circle.

I hope this helps! Keep us posted on your progress and best of luck to you. Welcome back!

Any Destroyers you've got from 10 years ago are going to fetch you $$$ in the secondary market if they're in decent to good condition. Seriously, buy a couple from the current run (mid to upper 160's if your older ones are seasoned), and see how they fly for you. If you can can replace the flight patterns with newer ones, consider selling your old ones on Facebook or eBay. Old Destroyers (first runs, patent numbers, etc.) go for lots of money, and the current run is pretty good.

I would say the same thing if you have any Wasp-tooled Buzzzes or CE plastic ("Champion Edition" discs from 2001-2004).

Destroyers
TL
T-bird
Leopard
Buzz
Soft Wizard

Actually all those discs are still quite relevant. I suggest do a lil research on what you'd want - ie: Speed, stability, etc. If you're looking for an US mid - I'd recommend a.... if you're looking for a Stable fairway --- etc etc. Once you may know what else you're looking for we'll have TOO MANY recommendations haha - but those discs you have are still True today as they were then. They're the standard I think -----with all that said I would recommend Speed 10 drivers (or speed 9) - Innova Speed 9 drivers are great, Get a few for an array of stability - I'd say Roadrunner, Valkyrie, Thunderbid (or firebird for more hook) and for speed 10 - Axiom Insanity - MVP Inertia - Axiom Wrath (or Fireball for more hook)

Some developments in disc tech in the last 10 years that you might have missed:

Lighter weight premium plastic: First there was "Blizzard" which is light weight champion plastic from Innova. It was (and is) pretty inconsistent in stability. More recently, Innova has figured out how to do light weight Star plastic pretty well and more consistently. Generally the lighter you go, the more understable. Other brands have equivalents as well.

Flexible, grippy premium plastic: Innova GStar (and other brand equivalents). Some people love it, others hate it. It gets stiffer in cold weather so can be nice if you live somewhere with cold winters.

Gyro: MVP and Axiom Discs produce discs that have more dense plastic in the rim so as to create more gyroscopic effect. Some people love them and throw nothing else, some people love to make fun of them. They have full lineups now so worth trying to see if you like them.

Any Destroyers you've got from 10 years ago are going to fetch you $$$ in the secondary market if they're in decent to good condition. Seriously, buy a couple from the current run (mid to upper 160's if your older ones are seasoned), and see how they fly for you. If you can can replace the flight patterns with newer ones, consider selling your old ones on Facebook or eBay. Old Destroyers (first runs, patent numbers, etc.) go for lots of money, and the current run is pretty good.

I would say the same thing if you have any Wasp-tooled Buzzzes or CE plastic ("Champion Edition" discs from 2001-2004).

Thanks, I will check it out. Looking at the Buzzzes, all of them have Buzzz tooled on the inner rim except a '2nd first run' that is stamped Buzzz, throws like a buzzz, but has WASP tooled on the rim. :eek:

stamped Buzzz, throws like a buzzz, but has WASP tooled on the rim. :eek:

That's the ticket! You might try selling that "wasp-tooled Buzzz."

More importantly, good to know that these discs are still relevant, but I need to buy need discs anyway because I have to sell all of them on eBay. :doh:

We were afraid that might happen.

To feel current on technology, pick up an overmolded rimmed disc. Maybe a 7-9 speed teebirdish disc from MVP or Axiom.

Commercial Backpacks and Carts are a thing now.