• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Fairway

I have a tried few of them and settled on the Whippet. The Banshee feels alot like a Teebird in your hand. Not a bad disc, but very low glide. The Whippet, even though it is more overstable, has a thinner rim, so for me I get a touch more snap out of it. I use it as a shorter range fairway driver and as an overstable mid. I've complimented with the Predator as a distance overstable.

Firebird is perfect overstable and can use for forehand that makes it more stable. Nice to have two things to do with Firebird...

I love my banshee, especially now that I lost my dx one and bought a champ banshee to replace it. The dx version broke in to have a little bit of high speed turn for me, but the champ one is holding on to it's overstability really well despite a lot of tree hits. I use it for most of my forehand and overhand shots, and for sharp left hooks and skips (RHBH).

The Innova Whippet and the Gateway Blaze are both very overstable fairway drivers. The Innova Banshee and Millennium EXP1 are less stable and slightly faster. The Innova Firebird and Discraft Predator are even faster so they have more distance potential and are quite overstable.

I think Latitude 64 has a disc that would fall in here called the XXX, but I know nothing about it.

If you are throwing less than 300' I'd say Banshee or EXP1. If you can throw over 300' it just depends on what else is in you bag and what shots you specifically want the disc to cover.

Where would you place the Discraft Elite Z X2? I have heard it's close to the whippet but mine definitely does not have the feel of a whippet, perhaps flight wise it's similar. Also a very good overstable disc. Whippet or Banshee is what I hear about a lot, the X2 I believe is OOP so don't try to get that one.

I had an X2 for a while and seem to remember equating it to a Viper. Never threw too many Banshees but that sounds about right as well.

Don't buy into the get rid of it and throw nothing but speed 7 drivers crap. It probably just needs to be broken in.

I throw primarily forehand and am a big fan of the Whippet, Banshee & Firebird. The KC Banshee might be my favorite disc. I use it for low tight shots, forehand rollers, thumbers and just about any situation where I'm not sure what else to throw. Works great for the 275' S-shot to avoid trees and obstacles. Very predictable disc that also fights the wind very well.

I love the Whippet. I recently lost one and had to immediately replace it - it has become my fairway driver of choice.

I love the Whippet and Banshee. I tend to get more D out of the Banshee, but it is definately an overstable disc. I agree that the Reaper is pretty similar and will get you similar action.

Have you checked out the Viper though? CFR's are total meathooks, if that's what you want, while the DX's are still very overstable and more controllable in my opinion. The Viper also makes a nice roller...just a suggestion.

How long does it hold it's overstability in DX plastic? I know that question would have a lot of variables but under like normal use how often would I need to replace it?

How long does it hold it's overstability in DX plastic? I know that question would have a lot of variables but under like normal use how often would I need to replace it?

I bought 2 DX Vipers the year before last and have used one of them...pretty regularly. It didn't go in the bag every round, but I'd say I played with it at least once a week and I haven't felt the need to start breaking in the backup yet. I haven't beaten it up too bad though and have only put it into a couple of trees.
For the price, I would say buy one, and if you like it, pick up one more.
If you do want a straight-up meathook though, find a CFR Viper....I really love that disc! It's the meathook in my bag while my overstable slot has a 4 disc rotation including the DX Viper, Banshee, Reaper, and Whippet.
I think you're good any way you decide to go.

I love the Banshee - but I also like the Whippet. I have both in champion plastic, but I like the feel of the Banshee better than the Whippet. It is less stable than the Whippet and the Firebird - but a formidable left turn, wind-fighting disc nonetheless.
One thing that you may want to consider is that the Banshee (at least for me) skips quite a bit harder when it comes in fairly flat than the whippet does.

Man, great to see the old school discs gettin' some love....Vipers and Whippets are awesome...don't let the DX plastic turn you off. Really good grip and control. I'd venture to say a Viper will hang with many of the other speed 7 drivers as far as distance.

Last edited:
I have a viper but thats on the shorter end. Firebird, predator, flick, etc.?