• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Mid

somerbuch

Par Member
I throw a lot of buzzzes but lately have realized that i need a more overstable mid in my bag, so any suggestions? On a side note im not a huge fan of hornets.

Depends how overstable you want it. For a flight similar to a Buzzz but with more fade, I use a Wasp. When I want super o/s for big-time hyzers or short flexes, I have a Star Gator (X mold). There are a few degrees of overstable in between them.

A Drone is the perfect compliment to the Buzzz. Has a similar feel to the Buzzz, with a sharper edge, but pretty similar. I have a Drone in my bag along with 2 Buzzz's and love it.

If you are looking for something to perform like a Buzzz in the wind or with simply more fade the Vector is great. It is more of a fly straight and fade disc, but I don't think really overstable mids (Drone, Demon, Gator) have a lot of value for most throwers. The newer runs are less overstable than the first runs, but are still very HSS. They do have some turn into the wind if you throw hard, but the turn is sow and controllable. Vectors are a lot more consistently overstable(especially newer runs) than Z Wasps in my experience.

Wasp for a long, straight flight with a gradual fade, followed by a decent amount of fade at the end.

Gator for a more severely turning fade.

Or, depending on what you're looking for, you could also consider just throwing an overstable driver. I've been throwing my Gator less and throwing my Firebird more. If I need something to have a pronounced left hook, I just underpower the Firechicken and left hook I get.

That's because extremely overstable mids are useless, bcr.

I tossed rocs for years and years. Great discs, but the swing from mold to mold and disc to disc took way too much time to learn. Now it's Pain and Comet, all day long!

Thought were was a thread on this already... basically the results of that thread went wasp, hornet, pain if IIRC. So there are your three options!

*Edit* Scratch the hornet, just read the op.

I'm gonna go against the grain and say evo warrior; very predictable OS flight, shaped a lot like the buzz, good in wind, great for drives.

I liked the one I had and will probably replace it.

This thread has gotten me to think more about the Hornet, only one i had tried before was the ace race one but maybe i'll pick up a Z hornet

A wasp is a buzzz with a bead. Should be perfect for what ur lookin for

Pain defense

Thought were was a thread on this already... basically the results of that thread went wasp, hornet, pain if IIRC. So there are your three options!

*Edit* Scratch the hornet, just read the op.

Results are meaningless as to actual quality or usefulness of the discs. Innova and Discraft will always win due to their distribution. Latitude, Westside, etc are hard to find in many places so people don't try them as much. I guess what I am trying to say is that what discs the average disc golfer or DGCR member buys and throws does not strictly correlate to what discs are best. I am surprised the Pain did as well as it did. I guess they can thank the Internet for that.

The MVP Vector is the most accurate overstable mid I've ever thrown. I use it for any approach that doesn't have obstacles on the right side down to 75 feet.

Buzzz - any line u want, you got it

DGA Shockwave - I use these for hyzers or headwinds, not as stable as a Drone or Gator, further straight flight with low fade at the end.

they are OOP but i have been using Champion Sharks to compliment my Buzzz and is working well, the flat ones feel very buzzz like in my hand and they are pretty beeefy.. but yeah like others have said. Wasp, Hornet, Vector, could get a KC Roc, etc.

I have a drone, but i usually throw a Zone instead because I find it more consistent, it goes just as far, and will give me a good skip if I want it.

Latest posts