• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce #29190

Yes, it's part of the job. It's why you get to play a sport for money; you're an entertainer.
If you don't want to do the whole job, you don't get the whole paycheck. Welcome to the life we all live.

Trying to shame someone for dealing with their own mental health is a weak take and it will always be a weak take.

I think it's interesting that both players (paige and osaka) took individual actions, instead of approaching their peers and addressing what they perceive to be systemic issues as a collective. they are in a pretty privileged position to even be able to take these decisions - not every tennis player can afford a $15K fine, and not every disc golfer (MPO or FPO) can afford to boycott NTs/skip interviews and stuff.

more power to them for prioritizing their mental health. hopefully it has the desired outcome in both tennis and disc golf

I don't really see the similarity. Paige has always fulfilled her interview obligations, and IMO, Paige has always been more engaged with the fans than the average. I understand that she feels she needs to dial it back a bit, and is being up front about it.

tldr/tldw

so what we have is a top touring pro who is saying the pdga is bogus

correct

Did she not hire a fulltime media person? I would guess she would do MORE media than she did before by her self if she have someone doing all the media work and editing...."all" Paige has to do is stand in front of the camera

What I find so interesting about Paige's comments and other pros / fans who make the "DGPT should run the tour, the PDGA has no business" type comments is no one can answer a simple question...

The DGPT is under zero and I mean zero obligation to sanction their events. There is no reason they can't just run these events under their own umbrella, rules, etc.

If DGPT is so much better, why don't they just do this? There has to be a reason. It's not ratings, points, etc.

In reality, DGPT and the PDGA have an incredible relationship and the DGPT has no desire to discontinue their relationship or not sanction a majority of their events.

All Paige is doing is harming her brand and the sport's image. Her comments probably have some merit and she has pointed out some things that probably aren't great, but she absolutely is clueless about big picture and behind the scenes stuff. Her comments need to go to the board and the PDGA staff, not instagram.

The DGPT is under zero and I mean zero obligation to sanction their events. There is no reason they can't just run these events under their own umbrella, rules, etc.

If DGPT is so much better, why don't they just do this? There has to be a reason. It's not ratings, points, etc.
I mean the PDGA ace in the hole is insurance. Does DGPT carry their own insurance?

Probably not. But they can afford it.
But that goes back to resources and how you want to spend them. If the PDGA already has insurance and that insurance is sufficient for the events the DGPT is operating, why as a player would you want the DGPT to divert resources they are currently putting into promotions or whatever they spend money on to pay for insurance when they can just partner with the PDGA? Sure, the players would save membership costs if they choose not to renew with the PDGA. It's going to cost them in whatever service the DGPT has to divert cash from to pay for insurance, though. It's a penny wise, pound foolish decision.

Since I have no idea what the case is there, it's a hypothetical. However the fact is that the DGPT is gaining something from partnering with the PDGA and it's likely something that benefits the DGPT financially. If it's benefiting the DGPT financially, it's benefiting those players financially.

I doubt running a tournament that is sanctioned by the PDGA somehow indemnifies the DGPT? There are going to be carrying liability coverage anyway. I'm doubting that's a great reason.

The PDGA and the DGPT have to maintain a good relationship. The feeder into DGPT is always going to be PDGA. And, for the current pros, they care about existing tournaments run under the auspices of the PDGA. They will want to be able to qualify for things like the USDGC via pro tour events, rather than having to play A tier qualifiers on the side.

Nobody will want squabbling over whether a specific tournament belongs to the PDGA or the DGPT. It's in everyone's interest that the sport move into a more mature top level professional footing in an amicable way. But there definitely needs to be some movement. You shouldn't have high profile pros getting aced out of spots at DDO/Glassblown because they are on the waiting list. That ceases to work well the higher profile the sport becomes.

All of that is predicated on the idea that the pro tour, as a spectator sport , continues to grow. If the recent growth turns out to be ephemeral, well then we will see shrinking pains instead of growing pains.

The PDGA and the DGPT have to maintain a good relationship.

No they don't. DGPT can do what they want and the PDGA can do what they want. It's mutually beneficial for both to exist and work together.
And, for the current pros, they care about existing tournaments run under the auspices of the PDGA.

No according to Paige. She has said she doesn't want to support the PDGA anymore. [/QUOTE]
They will want to be able to qualify for things like the USDGC via pro tour events, rather than having to play A tier qualifiers on the side.
The USDGC can pick any event they want to qualify. It doesn't have to be an A tier or even sanctioned. Monday qualifying isn't sanctioned.

My overall point in bringing this up is whenever you hear a rant like Paige's and / or see comments about how much better the DGPT is than the PDGA, ask yourself why does the DGPT continue to choose to partner with the PDGA if it's such a disaster.

No they don't. DGPT can do what they want and the PDGA can do what they want. It's mutually beneficial for both to exist and work together.

True. Compare ball golf - there's the USGA and PGA. USGA is the ruling body (=PDGA) and PGA is the tour (=DGPT).

The tour doesn't HAVE to follow the USGA, they could make their own rules...but it is most beneficial to follow the USGA's rules. The USGA doesn't tell the PGA how to run their tournaments and the USGA has its own tournament.

But they could split into separate non-cooperating entities...but would it be better for the sport? I don't think so. PDGA and DGPT are better off together (in my opinion).

Her comments probably have some merit and she has pointed out some things that probably aren't great
I'm wondering if you can elaborate on these points a little? I'd like see if we could swing this in a more positive direction of what her legitimate issues are that the PDGA can work toward resolving.

I'm wondering if you can elaborate on these points a little? I'd like see if we could swing this in a more positive direction of what her legitimate issues are that the PDGA can work toward resolving.

Three course for an pro major = not good.
Three rounds for a pro major = not good.
Courses not being closed during practice = has merit, but there are lot of things probably out of control from the event. Even if you put "course closed" signs people don't care.

Those are legit concerns that need to be addressed.

Not having enough time to practice, the courses not being quality, the method she delivered the message is all just garbage.

Not having enough time to practice, the courses not being quality, the method she delivered the message is all just garbage.

Complaining there was not enough time to practice courses that were announced over a year ago seems misplaced. Yet somehow there was time to travel to Hawaii before this event? Obviously, the PDGA is at fault here.:confused:

I back Paige 100% on her complaints. They are all 100% valid. The rest of you should quit trying to justify the terrible decisions that were made in planning these events. Bless the TD's hearts, they work hard, but they obviously just don't get it. We need pro-level events for the touring pros and TD's that understand the difference between a major and a B class event. Just reading this board I see all these guys integral to the sport that just don't seem to get it. Biggest problem in the sport in my opinion.