• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth Is At His Highest Rating Ever

Kind of like how Tiger changed ball golf from a game for old white men to something with some real popularity.

Let's not discount Ricky, Eagle, and Simon either as all of these dudes are doing some insane stuff on the course and cool stuff off the course as well.

Ricky I agree, this is due to how on the course Ricky W and Pual McBeth Push each other. Without Ricky doing what he is doing, then Pual might not be nearly as High Rated as he is now with some events.

Odd though that Nether player has been on the same team ever. Ricky is with Innova Pual Dynamic Disc but before the company made discs with Latitude 64, then Paul goes to Innova and Ricky is with the Trilogy of Latitude 64, and latest Paul ends up at Discraft and Ricky decides to go back to Innova.

Paul and Ricky were both on Team Innova together before Ricky moved to Prodigy. Paul was absolutely on Team Innova while he had whatever sponsorship (apparel?) he had with Dynamic.

I'm not sure why this keeps coming up or why people can't seem to grasp the idea, but yeah, McBeth was Innova-sponsored forever before he went to Discraft. Like since he was a junior player forever (2005ish).

When this came up last week, I stumbled on a great resource at PDGA.com that I wish they'd do more to publicize, the Disc Golfer magazine archives. Every page of every issue (since 2011) is online. I found the issue highlighting the 2012 Worlds in Charlotte, McBeth's first win. On page 7, there's an full page ad from Innova congratulating Paul for winning Worlds and the NT title complete with an in-the-bag list. Then, on page 19, in the Worlds article, there's are multiple photos of Paul wearing a shirt that has both Innova and DD logos on it. He was with them both at the same time because, until 2013 when DD started manufacturing discs, there was no conflict between the two sponsors.

Ricky got picked up by Innova sometime late in 2011 and stayed with them until Prodigy came calling in late 2012. So he and Paul were teammates during that whole stretch.

Okay, yeah - I see what I missed. I missed a few posts in there.

Though I will say - he may have still been wearing some of their apparel at that time if his Innova contract allowed it, he had a lot of cool shirts, I doubt DD was going to ask him to stop wearing their apparel - but the Trilogy companies asked all of the players to either convert over to the discs right away, or get transitioned to the ambassador team. I suppose its possible he remained on the ambassador team into 2013? But I don't know how that would have gone over with Innova.

I'm confused, does he play better in DD clothing, Innova clothing or Discraft clothing. Who knew breathable sweat removing clothing was so important?

I'm confused, does he play better in DD clothing, Innova clothing or Discraft clothing. Who knew breathable sweat removing clothing was so important?
Well it sounds like he was still wearing DD clothing after Innova picked him up, but I haven't seen him in Innova clothing since Discraft picked him up. So I think by process of elimination we can rule out Innova clothing. Its between the DD clothing or the Discraft clothing. Can someone go back through the years and identify every round in which he wore DD clothing so we can solve this mystery once and for all?

Paul and Ricky were both on Team Innova together before Ricky moved to Prodigy. Paul was absolutely on Team Innova while he had whatever sponsorship (apparel?) he had with Dynamic.

Sorry I did not know that Paul eventually got a sponsorship with Innova while the Dynamic Disc deal was in affect. I know Paul used a Magnet with rest of discs being Innova brand(s) before his switch to Innova but I did not know when that was that Paul got the deal with Innova.

It is important for comfort more then likely as a non tech clothing might get soggy quicker then some non tech tees. Some tech Golf tees I have felt are thicker then non tech and thus would not work as well as tech tees. Before a point in the 2000's most of the top level Disc Golfers were still wearing the non sports performance collared shirts for Disc Golf, even Golf by the 2000's most of the top level golfers were wearing sports performance clothing. Odd since In my opinion Disc Golf with some top level type courses one can be more active with Disc Golf than with Golf.

Well it sounds like he was still wearing DD clothing after Innova picked him up, but I haven't seen him in Innova clothing since Discraft picked him up. So I think by process of elimination we can rule out Innova clothing. Its between the DD clothing or the Discraft clothing. Can someone go back through the years and identify every round in which he wore DD clothing so we can solve this mystery once and for all?

Now here's an area where more in-depth analysis will surely yield critical insights into the secrets of disc golf success! ;)

Remember that after DD started their disc production partnership w/ Lat, Paul was sponsored by Adidas and wore their clothing and shoes. Don't recall the exact dates that Paul was sponsored by Adidas, but I believe it covered the more glorious years at Innova.

2015 was the Grand Slam year: he won all five PDGA Majors that offered an MPO division. (Including his 4th consecutive world title.) And also he didn't place worse than 3rd in any PDGA sanctioned event. So by some metrics, his 2019 season -- insanely hot though it's been -- still cannot stack up to what he accomplished in 2015.

[And yes, I've specifically cherry picked a few stats to make that point, which aren't necessarily a fair basis of comparison between 2015 and 2019.]

:popcorn:

Anyone know how the five rounds he recorded at World's are going to affect his rating?

I'd guess positively, as he shot only 1 round under 1070 which was unofficially rated at 1041.

Yeah, Worlds 2019 will be good for his rating.

For the next update he'll also drop Idlewild 2018 (3 rounds averaging "only" 1047) and Ledgestone 2018 (four rounds averaging "only" 1036). But I think he gets to hang on to Maple Hill Open 2018 (3 rounds averaging 1065).

So I reckon his rating will go up!

Imagine being in that position, where those pesky 1030's and 1040's rounds are the baggage that weighs down your rating :D

It's almost not fair to the competition.

Folks gonna start ducking this man...

But not Ricky, as Ricky pushes Paul to be a better player and so does Paul push Ricky. You saw it at Worlds and Ricky just missing one difficult putt to end up second is amazing. Also that push that Ricky had to get to lead card final round considering how hard the wooded Northwoods Gold course is, the course is so tough that one of the holes should have been a par 6 instead of 5, only a few select players got below par and that hole averaged almost 2 strokes above par for the rest.

I personally believe that some holes should be a par 6 for top tier tournaments and well as some holes being a 2 for top tier tournaments. Disc golf does not need to fit the golf common standard of 3-5 for holes.

Just gonna take a moment to say... McBeth at 1059 today.

Were the tournaments from Canadian Nationals factored in? If not, they'll bring his rating down during the next update. He "only" averaged 1050.3.

He's getting to 1060 soon. Even if he has a few bad rounds to end this year, he'll get there next year. This is ridiculous.

How is that possible? It says that the report submission deadline was 05Sep2019. He would have broke 1060 for sure if they would have stuck to that. Those rounds are counting 2X towards that 1059 right now.

A few events from this past weekend made the cut for today's update, including US Masters. The new (year+ old) online tournament manager has enabled a far quicker turnaround for events to be submitted and put in the queue for official ratings.

Latest posts