• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Paul Mcbeth Luna review

Ordered 2 Luna and even though I like the plastic and enjoy putting with them, who TF devided to have the 3 for fade. It flies like my new JB focus. Maaaaybe 0.5. Nice disc, horrible flight numbers. I wouldn't drive with my base plastic ones. I have not thrown any nicer plastic Lunas

Ordered 2 Luna and even though I like the plastic and enjoy putting with them, who TF devided to have the 3 for fade. It flies like my new JB focus. Maaaaybe 0.5. Nice disc, horrible flight numbers. I wouldn't drive with my base plastic ones. I have not thrown any nicer plastic Lunas

Agreed, same for the Z tour series. Nice neutral throwers, not the least bit OS.

I don't know if any of you have a shop or just have a decent amount of the jawbreaker lunas, but is there a certain color or two that seems stiffer than others in the current run? I have notice my gray are more stiff than my dark green, but those are the only colors I have and was wondering if another was ever more stiff?

Luna

I've been using a Luna for a while now. Never really wanted one until a buddy of mine got one and let me throw it a couple times. As soon as that disc released from my hand it felt so good. Every drive or upshot I had that day was picture perfect, so I ended up buying 2. One to putt with and one to drive with.

A couple weeks ago I decided to buy a couple roaches because I heard they were basically the same disc, so I figured I'd pay $10 for a jawbreaker roach instead of $20 for a Luna. Something just couldn't click with the roaches and now I'm back to my Lunas.

In all, I think the Luna has great glide when spin putting, definitely doesnt have a 3 fade, but once you understand how to throw it it's a great disc.

So how close are Roaches to Lunas in feel in the hand? And is there a noticeable difference when putting from 20 to 40 feet? I like to have a stack of 10 to do Perfect Putt 360, and I don't want to chew up my "game day" putters, and I also can't spend $200 on practice putters. Or is there something you have found that feels and flies the same (close enough)?

Luna

I tried a Luna for the first time today. Here are my thoughts....

Before I get into this, I'll preface by saying I don't try many different putters. I usually putt with a McPro Aviar, so I'll end up comparing the Luna to it. I used it on the course for two rounds of putting. I didn't use the Luna for any tee shots. I did a few short upshots.

Disc is base plastic, 173-174g.

First off, the Luna seems like a small diameter disc, smaller than the Aviar. Shallower, also.

One thing I noticed right away is that the Luna doesn't glide very well. My first few putts ended up low and hit the cage. The disc has no float, and seems to start going downward right out of your hand. I think I missed my first 6 birdie opportunities (of varying length) because the disc finished low. I started aiming higher and throwing a little harder, and things got better. 2nd round I shot -9 and had a couple 20'+ birdies.

The plastic is a little rubbery and has good grip. The Luna seemed to grab the chains fairly well, and wasn't squirting out. The plastic isn't very durable, and seems to ding/scrape easily.

Conclusions: The Luna is a decent putter, but vastly different than the McPro Aviar. The Luna isn't really overstable, but it doesn't glide well. I found myself having to throw it harder at the basket than I'm accustomed to. Lots and lots of misses low. The Luna favors a more aggressive (harder) putt. I'm more used to a softer putt that uses the disc's glide.

Would I bag the Luna? Probably, but I'd have to learn it better. I'm not super wild about the base plastic from a durability standpoint. For long putts I'd probably use a different (floatier) putter. The Luna did a much better job on short stuff. On long putts it just sinks too fast and doesn't glide well.

This is honestly the first Discraft putter I've ever used on the course.

Last edited:
Was lucky and got an orange 174g Big Z Luna in the mail yesterday.

Definately more OS than the 2020 TS one I had! Also feels better than the TS one IMO (flatter and a bit gummier)

Didn't turn over at all when thrown flat, and with just a bit of hyzer it went left pretty hard. Like it so far!

I tried a Luna for the first time today. Here are my thoughts....

Before I get into this, I'll preface by saying I don't try many different putters. I usually putt with a McPro Aviar, so I'll end up comparing the Luna to it. I used it on the course for two rounds of putting. I didn't use the Luna for any tee shots. I did a few short upshots.

Disc is base plastic, 173-174g.

First off, the Luna seems like a small diameter disc, smaller than the Aviar. Shallower, also.

One thing I noticed right away is that the Luna doesn't glide very well. My first few putts ended up low and hit the cage. The disc has no float, and seems to start going downward right out of your hand. I think I missed my first 6 birdie opportunities (of varying length) because the disc finished low. I started aiming higher and throwing a little harder, and things got better. 2nd round I shot -9 and had a couple 20'+ birdies.

The plastic is a little rubbery and has good grip. The Luna seemed to grab the chains fairly well, and wasn't squirting out. The plastic isn't very durable, and seems to ding/scrape easily.

Conclusions: The Luna is a decent putter, but vastly different than the McPro Aviar. The Luna isn't really overstable, but it doesn't glide well. I found myself having to throw it harder at the basket than I'm accustomed to. Lots and lots of misses low. The Luna favors a more aggressive (harder) putt. I'm more used to a softer putt that uses the disc's glide.

Would I bag the Luna? Probably, but I'd have to learn it better. I'm not super wild about the base plastic from a durability standpoint. For long putts I'd probably use a different (floatier) putter. The Luna did a much better job on short stuff. On long putts it just sinks too fast and doesn't glide well.

This is honestly the first Discraft putter I've ever used on the course.

Lunas glide well once the new beats off of them. You're probably used to the seasoned glide of your McPros, and that could be your perception of no glide. I bet Lunas are less likely to crack than the McPros are though.

Lunas glide well once the new beats off of them. You're probably used to the seasoned glide of your McPros, and that could be your perception of no glide. I bet Lunas are less likely to crack than the McPros are though.

The McPro Aviar seems like it could crack. Plastic is hard/brittle.

Luna was a lot softer and more rubbery.

I actually putted OK with the Luna in my 2nd round. 1st round was a nightmare. Granted, it's probably never a great idea to play rounds with a putter you've never thrown before.

Just came here to say the Luna may be the best throwing putter I've ever used.

I still putt with McPro Aviars (I prefer the shoulder and low speed glide for putting) but the lunas have replaced the Novas in my bag. I'm pushing 390 with the lunas. They just seem to glide forever. Love throwing them on anhyzer. They fight nicely out of it and land flat.

I use the MCBETH tour series versions most of the time, but just grabbed a production run in baseline plastic for turning shots.

Just came here to say the Luna may be the best throwing putter I've ever used.

I still putt with McPro Aviars (I prefer the shoulder and low speed glide for putting) but the lunas have replaced the Novas in my bag. I'm pushing 390 with the lunas. They just seem to glide forever. Love throwing them on anhyzer. They fight nicely out of it and land flat.

I use the MCBETH tour series versions most of the time, but just grabbed a production run in baseline plastic for turning shots.

This. I found I had to throw the Luna a lot harder than the McPro Aviar when putting. The Luna just sinks right out of your hand.

I actually putted OK with it in the end, but it took a while. I prefer the softer, glidier flight of the McPro Aviar for most putts.

In the four rounds at "huk central" i dont think i saw Paul thow a single good shot with his Luna. . .even Hannah pointed out that he did not thew it well and was "out of practise" with it

In the four rounds at "huk central" i dont think i saw Paul thow a single good shot with his Luna. . .even Hannah pointed out that he did not thew it well and was "out of practise" with it

I'm convinced at this point, and its purely my opinion, that he isn't super happy with his bag. the above mentioned struggles with his putter, both throwing and putting. I may be wrong, but I don't know if he is bagging the malta, and hardly ever see him throw the anax or Zeus. The amount of times in recent coverage I've heard him say, "where are you going?" or "why are you doing that?" talking to his discs is much much higher than with innova. I may be completely off base, and I'm sure he'll develop more molds that fit his game a little better.

Instead of rushing out his own molds he should've adopted already existing ones. I think he would be doing much better if he was using rubber blend Roaches instead of Lunas. I saw in a YouTube video how much he liked the Stalker but backed off it because he couldn't get it right away as a signature.

This line of reasoning makes no sense. He did just fine with his DC bag in 19 and in what little there was of 20.

I'm convinced at this point, and its purely my opinion, that he isn't super happy with his bag. the above mentioned struggles with his putter, both throwing and putting. I may be wrong, but I don't know if he is bagging the malta, and hardly ever see him throw the anax or Zeus. The amount of times in recent coverage I've heard him say, "where are you going?" or "why are you doing that?" talking to his discs is much much higher than with innova. I may be completely off base, and I'm sure he'll develop more molds that fit his game a little better.

He probably talked to his discs the same amount with Innova...it really seems like a more recent thing with videos picking up more player audio then even a few years ago.

TLDR: He isn't talking more, we are just hearing it more.

He probably talked to his discs the same amount with Innova...it really seems like a more recent thing with videos picking up more player audio then even a few years ago.

TLDR: He isn't talking more, we are just hearing it more.

You have a point. I guess I should say there seems to be some frustration with a few of his molds. On Innova he leaned on discs that were straight to fade, roc3, teebird3, thunderbird, DC's molds seem to have more inherent turn, buzzz, undertaker. Paul is still Paul and could whoop most of the disc golf world with a paper plate, but being the perfectionist he is, seems like he isn't getting the results he expects of himself. Obviously he is still winning and playing great, but with the competition where it is, seems like he knows that him at 90% won't cut it every week.

again these are just observations from some guy on the internet, he may prefer his new stuff and I'm talking out my butt.

A couple of months ago I pulled three First Run Lunas (very firm and chalky) out of my discarded discs and started putting them. Now I am pretty much committed to them. Got one form a friend today and it is much more rubbery. I've heard something about a rubber blend Luna but with nothing on the market it's hard to get information. Are they all like that now or is it a specific variant?

A couple of months ago I pulled three First Run Lunas (very firm and chalky) out of my discarded discs and started putting them. Now I am pretty much committed to them. Got one form a friend today and it is much more rubbery. I've heard something about a rubber blend Luna but with nothing on the market it's hard to get information. Are they all like that now or is it a specific variant?

so my first 3 Lunas from summer 2020 were chalky and then my buddy got one this summer and its smooth rubberish, I actually hate his luna not sure why his feels so different but I wouldnt have liked them enough to bag it if my first introduction to the Luna was his run, but since then I have ordered 2 regular Lunas just a month ago and theyre exactly like my original set so I think there was maybe a weak run of them, I also have Z swirl from 2020 tour series and thats probably my favorite from the tee with a little ani, where as the mcbeth plastic beats in quick and now I get it to hyzerflip from the tee

Latest posts