• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA World Championships 2022

effects on commentary for jomez post pro is awful on the recording of worlds final f9

Great interview with Aaron Gossage starts at the 1:20:00 mark. Really seems like an honest take, and quite a likeable guy.

Also Eagle McMahon at 32:30'ish.

In the grand scheme of things I know this is pretty trivial...but who green lighted those trophies? Yikes.

Nick Carl said that in addition to what was we've seen (and ripped), Paul and Kristin both received a really cool trophy that included a glass globe on a glass stand. Not sure why that was never seen. That convo starts two hours in, at about 2:03:00'ish.

Last edited:
effects on commentary for jomez post pro is awful on the recording of worlds final f9

Yeah, audio is not up to the normal quality. I think it's a side effect of the "Next Day Live" thing they were doing. Outside the typical recording booth.

Considering that, it's not too bad. [imo, ymmv, etc.]

More ob makes us more legit? Please explain to me how an island needs more ob. I'll wait....

OB line was drawn at the usual water line. The lake level was a couple feet lower than normal, so the OB line was kept at original position to maintain the normal and typical difficulty and risk/reward of the hole as much as possible.

Had the lake been a few more feet down and the island doubled in size, would you still be okay with no OB lines, given that size increase would make this a stupidly easy hole?

OB line was drawn at the usual water line. The lake level was a couple feet lower than normal, so the OB line was kept at original position to maintain the normal and typical difficulty and risk/reward of the hole as much as possible.

Had the lake been a few more feet down and the island doubled in size, would you still be okay with no OB lines, given that size increase would make this a stupidly easy hole?

Great idea. Maybe they could get the same team to install plastic branches throughout Waco and Texas States to eliminate some of those winter lines folks take before the seasonal foliage blooms as well.

More ob makes us more legit? Please explain to me how an island needs more ob. I'll wait....

We often do this for three reasons:

1. Consistency. We try to present a courses that plays the same week after week. We also like to present a course for practice, a week or so before our tournaments, that represent the actual playing conditions for the tournament.

2. Protection of the course. Water lines can get pretty torn up with people looking for and retrieving discs, already. Moving them a couple feet in, can help protect the erosion and banks of a water hazard.

3. Player safety. While certainly looking to present a challenge, often banks of water hazards can be steep, boggy, slippery..... The PRIMARY goal of all tournaments is to provide a safe track to ensure fair competition.

Great idea. Maybe they could get the same team to install plastic branches throughout Waco and Texas States to eliminate some of those winter lines folks take before the seasonal foliage blooms as well.

Snarky, but not much thought behind it. Season variations are routine and predictable within a few weeks. Those tournaments are held at the same time every year, mitigating that variation. Additionally, lack of foliage ��/ �� increased landing area on an island hole on hole difficulty. Additional landing area, as water level drops, will eventually trivialize the hole. There is no equivalent with foliage - there is no hole I know of that is trivialized due to lack of foliage.

If there is one that is due to a newly opened line, I believe a mando would be a proper response, not "plastic branches", as you so inelegantly put it. I believe there is precedent for added mandos when trees have fallen down, opening up new, easier lines than intended. There's also the Simon mandos, but that's another story.

Yeah, audio is not up to the normal quality. I think it's a side effect of the "Next Day Live" thing they were doing. Outside the typical recording booth.

Considering that, it's not too bad. [imo, ymmv, etc.]

yah thats a good point

i was a little disappointed but that makes sense and now i can cut them some slack on it

good perspective thank you

yah thats a good point

i was a little disappointed but that makes sense and now i can cut them some slack on it

good perspective thank you

felt bad for jomez on this one but....

it was weird that jomez didnt try out the live audience audio recording thing before the biggest event of the season.... they hyped it up for weeks, they are known for putting out high quality stuff, yet the live commentary final product was pretty rough. I'm sure it made for a fun live event but really kills the post-production video which is what jomez is all about.

you cant hardly hear anything uli says - and theres a few times where he says allot

its hard to tell when the actual gallery was cheering vs when the commentary audience were cheering so that was kinda confusing

then nate and jerm ironically acknowledge how this is worlds post-pro and their commentary needs to be good

overall a swing and a miss for the live commentary extravaganza imo. hopefully it was fun for those that attended live at least

Regarding the OB line on 16...

A water line almost should never be the line. Water lines can change throughout a day with evaporation or rains. I've also seen waves on water creating confusion (not at 16 ECC). Not to mention pool play so you could have someone playing it one way on 11 AM on Tuesday and then someone else playing it at 6PM on Wednesday.

The lines, per PDGA policy, MUST be painted 4 days prior to round 1 for a world championship. It's impossible to know on the Thursday literally 11 days before the final round where the water will end up being. It's a guess at that point.

At the end of the day, the line was there and was the exact same for every competitor and is hands down the fairest way.

A water line almost should never be the line. Water lines can change throughout a day with evaporation or rains. I've also seen waves on water creating confusion (not at 16 ECC). Not to mention pool play so you could have someone playing it one way on 11 AM on Tuesday and then someone else playing it at 6PM on Wednesday.

The lines, per PDGA policy, MUST be painted 4 days prior to round 1 for a world championship. It's impossible to know on the Thursday literally 11 days before the final round where the water will end up being. It's a guess at that point.

At the end of the day, the line was there and was the exact same for every competitor and is hands down the fairest way.

Nick Carl suggested it would be better without the wall, basket closer to centered and a fixed OB circle.

I kind of like that idea. Thoughts?

Ultimately I think the answer is that the line is absolutely fine for play. The players know where the line it, there wasn't any confusion about it. It just looks dumb on coverage. "Island hole, don't throw it in the water! oh and also don't throw it on some of the absolutely dry land because that doesn't count either."

I know people won't like this take...but just don't paint a line. Let the water be wherever the water is and let the water-line be the deciding factor. If it raises or lowers a few inches from day to day that's fine. No course is ever the same course twice. People playing a course at 11 on Tuesday are never going to have the exact same conditions as someone playing it at 6 on Wednesday...it sucks but that's the way it goes. It's not like we're talking about the ocean and high/low tides.

Nick Carl suggested it would be better without the wall, basket closer to centered and a fixed OB circle.

I kind of like that idea. Thoughts?

I agree with Nick.

I think the wall concedes an easy par by throwing something OS on a low, hard, line drive playing off the wall.. I say OS to negate the wind usually found at this course.

If you're lucky, rebound off the wall comes back enough to where the birdie opportunity doesn't feel like a too bad a death putt. But you should be able to lay up and take a fairly routine par, with very little risk of really of OB/bogey.

OB really only comes onto play for those trying to get close enough for 2, without the death putt.

It used to be without the wall some years back. Much more rewarding as a viewer to see someone stick it onto the island then, but not sure about a better hole or not. Of course, define "better"... I guess I am talking about score separation. A lot more players went to the DZ then for sure. It was a 2, 3 or 4 score anyway then too, depending on where you landed. Perhaps a few more 2s nowadays thanks to the wall although usually hitting the wall seems to leave you with a death putt. Which IMO is a fair tradeoff by being saved by the wall.

Latest posts