• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pet peeve - its concrete, not cement!

We built a stable for our horses. Under the stable is a cement floor. Over the stable is a metal roof.:)

I know what you are thinking. I'm not mentally stable.:)

"Hey, here comes the Cement Truck with my load of Concrete"
"Put that sand gravel and portland into the Cement Mixer"

I guess I will start refering them to launch pads then, you are right nothing is teed up. The basket being references can get confusing, so I figured it out the "recepticle under the chains" as you put it, is the trapper. Start using trapper in your DG vocab and others will understand more of what your talking about.

As for concrete, I always call it concrete. Rarely do you see plain old cement being used these days.

I totally agree Dave, stable is stable. Overstable means the disc will turn at high speed the same as it does at low speed. Stable means it doesn't turn at all at high speed.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to go my favorite frozen custard place today and eat some concrete.

Oops!

I never really thought about any difference before making the above banner ad.

Sure enough, I was interchanging the 2 words thinking they were synonyms. I probably used cement because it was shorter and I could make the text a wee bit larger! LOL

In hindsight, I'd do it differently, but I really don't want to go back and change it now. Can I have a pass Dave? ;)

:(
For years, I have heard many disc golfers and a particular top course designer say tee pads are made of cement. It has bugged me repeatedly and tonight I am finally letting it out for the sake of my own sanity. :D

Tee pads are made of CONCRETE! Even the Grammar Girl can help you with this one.

We have soldiers getting hurt and killed overseas and this is your main concern? Man, pick you battles more carefully.:(

Oops!

I never really thought about any difference before making the above banner ad.

Sure enough, I was interchanging the 2 words thinking they were synonyms. I probably used cement because it was shorter and I could make the text a wee bit larger! LOL

In hindsight, I'd do it differently, but I really don't want to go back and change it now. Can I have a pass Dave? ;)

Come on man, how are you about to "concrete" the word cement like that? :rolleyes:

I have always found this argument to be ridiculous. do you know what i mean when i say a cement tee pad? (rhetorical, please don't answer) unless you are in the industry than what is the point? (that you can answer) it seems to me that communicating to others what the tee pad is like is what is important not the terminology of the construction industry. technically it is correct to call it concrete, realistically it doesn't matter.

:(

We have soldiers getting hurt and killed overseas and this is your main concern? Man, pick you battles more carefully.:(

We have puppies dying homeless on the street without vetcare and you are taking the time to lecture people on the forums!? :(

Stable means stable.....as in stable......resistant to change of position or condition; not easily moved or disturbed; maintaining equilibrium; self-restoring. In disc golf terms, minimal high-speed and low-speed fade.

Well, if we're going to be having pet peeves, it's not high-speed fade- it's turn. Fade's at the end.

You're right. I misstated that.

But is my mistake in being lazy and combining both tendencies of a disc to turn during its flight into the term "fade" really a peeve, or just nitpicking? :D Do lots of people mistakenly call "high speed turn", "high speed fade"? Nitpicking is a pet peeve of mine.......so I'll nitpick your post :doh:

You're right. I misstated that.

But is my mistake in being lazy and combining both tendencies of a disc to turn during its flight into the term "fade" really a peeve, or just nitpicking? :D Do lots of people mistakenly call "high speed turn", "high speed fade"? Nitpicking is a pet peeve of mine.......so I'll nitpick your post :doh:

Does it matter if a lot of people call it this or that, for it to be counted as a legitimate peeve? I mean, how many of us call it cement instead of concrete? I would say 80 percent of my friends call it cement- but just because of the majority do that, doesn't mean they are right, nor does it mean that it won't drive me crazy when they do.

When it comes to these vocab terms, I figure we should at least try to get it right since there are plenty of new players that start off with vocabulary terms such as "when it does that S thing" if you're lucky or "it makes like, shapes when it flies" if you aren't as lucky. Turn/Fade are what allow RHBH/FH, LHBH/FH players to be able to talk about discs without having to re-orient themselves. So yes, they are absolutely essential to get right :D

And to ask "is it my mistake for being lazy" kind of answers your own question it seems.