• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
MVP Disc Sports Photon

Diameter 21.1cm
Height 1.4cm
Rim Depth: 1.1
Rim Thickness: 2.2

Introducing the Fission Photon, in stores May 22nd.

The Photon is best described as a longer Tesla, with power throwers able to achieve some flight extending turn, and all throwers getting a reliable fade. The Photon is naturally headwind resistant but average power throwers can use a headwind to emulate those extended flights of high power throwers.

The high speed of the Photon coupled with the unique properties of Fission make this release a breakthrough in disc golf drivers. Early tester reports indicate that Fission Photons feel like throwing a disc about 20g heavier, but with the enhanced glide of their actual light weight. Fission Photons will be available all the way down to 135g. The Fission Volt has proven that Fission produces a longer-flying and easier-throwing disc with all the inherent stability of a heavyweight disc, and we expect this release to be a huge hit.

Fission™ Microbubble Technology produces an ultralight core with evenly distributed and imperceptible weight reduction microbubbles. The ultralight core allows an even higher GYRO™ overmold density relative to the core, yet still remaining in the lighter weight classes -- 135g to 164g in the Photon.

This produces an entirely new type of lightweight disc never before seen in the sport, and beyond the capability of any other manufacturer. Weight distribution, stability, and durability of prior "bubble" discs are all improved upon by Fission. Skeptics of prior lightweight or bubble plastics are in for a surprise, as Fission brings advanced disc physics and true high-tech molding into the lightweight plastics arena.

Sooo... IT BEGINS!

I'm not sure I have the arm speed for it but I'm really looking forward to this disc. Even if I can't throw it, I'm excited to see what others can do with it. I'm loving the Fission Volt so far and I think Fission in general is going to be a game changer.

I'm not sure I have the arm speed for it but I'm really looking forward to this disc. Even if I can't throw it, I'm excited to see what others can do with it. I'm loving the Fission Volt so far and I think Fission in general is going to be a game changer.

My thoughts as well. Curious to see if a minimum weight Photon will be OK for low power players.

I reckon this will be a lot of disc for average arms. It will likely be quite stable for me, no matter what the weight. But there's a good chance it'll also be longer than a Tesla, which makes it bag worthy for sure.

I believe they certainly will fly longer distances for any power level I imagine than heavier and slower teslas. Something about the tesla I feel like you REALLLLLLLY need to have MikeC kind of power/form to get them out past 450'. Its much more on the control driver side even compared to how the inertia/insanity/wrath fly.

While the slightly understable molds might be a better fit I can see a 130g (keep in mind this is VERY light compared to a 175g tesla) photons flying well for anyone who has thrown a 9 or 10 speed with success from MVP.

For example my friend who is not a power thrower AT ALL can put out the insanity further than a switch, volt, amp etc even though my insanity is max weight and his other molds are not. The speed difference can help get more distance you just have to keep in mind what the end result of stability can be for a under-powered throw.

I have not really thrown any 11+ speed discs since MVP has started rolling out drivers I really scaled things back to only a volt, amp and shock at one time. This has really helped me see the progression in my game and technique through the progression of the MVP releases. I feel like I truly have a NEED for this disc now where before had no business throwing 12 speed drivers, even if they did fly far.

I still wonder how I threw forces, destoryers, bosses etc and they actually FLEW... well (lol)

Don't be scared of a "faster" mold just b/c of the speed. It might be too much disc but its good to see what they could do just like throwing slower molds on longer holes can do for your game.

K im getting one of these, will be my first MVP purchase since electron atom... which should have just been electron ions :(

A friend let me throw the new plasma and fission volt a week ago and i was very happy with the flight of the plasma volt, almost brought me back to the MVP FR Volt glory days... :) and the fission was interesting not being able to turn it over for being ultra light.

I like what MVP is doing lately but i want Ions in baseline plastic before i end my MVP boycott :p

I wish they had this in normal plastics as well I am primarily a FH player and like the heft when throwing.

I wish they had this in normal plastics as well I am primarily a FH player and like the heft when throwing.
Photon and Wave will be available in Neutron to all Circuit Event Directors.. several of them already running pre-orders on FB, not sure about here. Those events begin June 20 so keep an eye out for a Circuit, or someone selling them. It's in the extra Circuit-stamped plastic that's available to directors.

Awesome! I'll probably wait for the faster Inertia/Insanity to try the 21 cm high-speed drivers. But excited to see this, especially in fission plastic.

For the record I agree with In4d. :eek: :eek:

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE ELECTRON ION AND ENVY AT, BRAAAAAAH'S!????

(in firm/hard :p)

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE ELECTRON ION AND ENVY AT, BRAAAAAAH'S!????

(in firm/hard :p)
Ion for sure has been in the works, seems like they've tried a few angles of attack with that one even recently. Envy I think would be less of a problem but you've noticed a whole lot of "introducing" materials releases from MVP in 2015, I'd look for some Axiom love light shinin' in 2016. By sales/recognition alone, MVP is definitely the brand to use for intros and establishing new trends.

#pumped for the Photon.
My first and only measured field distance practice a few weeks ago has me drooling over the potential of these discs.

430 ft. with the Insanity has me curious if these will be able to inch out even further.

I felt like I had to wipe seminal fluid off my screen to finish all these comments.

But I understand. Since the Envy release I haven't been enthusiatic at all about any new MV;/Axiom stuff...except the Soft Neutron Envys. But the Photon and Fireball sound just delightful. I don't know if Fission will really be a "game changer" but I do think the Photon will be a great way to showcase the blend. With no point of reference (unlike the Fission Volt(o I feel like a lot of people who throw this will be amazed.

And yes, I am FULLY confident that the Photon will fly as advertised.

Just got my Photon in. 157 grams, and the plastic feels a bit like some Plasma was mixed in. Very flexy and grippy.

I only threw it four times, but even for my arm it was easy to get up to speed. I may need to grow into it, but it's going to bomb. Get stoked, people.

Latest posts