• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Physical difference between Star and Pro plastic

sumo21

Eagle Member
I just went to my local Play It Again Sports and bought 3 New F2 Destroyers 171+ for a real good price. Normally, it would be easy to tell the difference because some penned discs have a P, followed by model. However, I have the newer embossed discs and it feels like Star but was labelled Pro. Even if they are Pro, I got a real deal. Any HELP/Info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pro can have many varieties. Stiff/slick/hard/, soft and rubbery, swirly and grippy etc etc. For example I have 3 Pro Leopards and each has a different plastic type. I prefer the soft grippy stuff. I've got some nice pro plastic that is similar to star too, but the major difference is durability. The pro, no matter the feel, will always break in faster. Just like DX, there's nothing wrong or bad about pro plastic, it's all up to the preferences/budget of the thrower.

The discs I have issues with are usually tourny stamped. Sometimes pro and star can look and feel exactly alike. Usually pro is more rubbery than star, but not always.

I've also seen some regular star stamped discs that had a more G* appearance and feel. Almost gummy.

I'm pretty sure Innova is supposed to write "pro" on any disc that's pro these days that isn't stamped so on top. It helps avoid exactly the confusion you describe.

I've got enough discs in each of these plastics that are also varied enough in feel and in stiffness that I honestly forget what your question was.

From what I've seen, there seems to be a greater variety of Pro/X type plastics than Star/ESP. Some Pro is easily distinguishable from Star. But it's not hard to come across a disc that you just can't tell at all.

If they stamped a bunch of Pro discs with the star stamp for that mold, I bet a lot of people couldn't tell.

From what I've seen, there seems to be a greater variety of Pro/X type plastics than Star/ESP. Some Pro is easily distinguishable from Star. But it's not hard to come across a disc that you just can't tell at all.

If they stamped a bunch of Pro discs with the star stamp for that mold, I bet a lot of people couldn't tell.

At first, I agree. Eventually the pro plastic would start getting dinged up and lose its flight characteristics a lot faster than star.

I stopped throwing pro plastic years ago because I didn't like the way it beat in. Obviously its still a lot better than DX, but pro goes randomly bad quickly for no apparent reason. The plastic can also warp over time.

One plastic that's actually surprised me with good durability is G*. The stuff is gummy, but it holds up really well, and doesn't seem to lose stability very fast.

The discs I have issues with are usually tourny stamped. Sometimes pro and star can look and feel exactly alike. Usually pro is more rubbery than star, but not always.

I've also seen some regular star stamped discs that had a more G* appearance and feel. Almost gummy.

I'm pretty sure Innova is supposed to write "pro" on any disc that's pro these days that isn't stamped so on top. It helps avoid exactly the confusion you describe.

I got in 2019 a Pro Destroyer with embossed label saying Pro Destroyer on the back, Even modern Star and Champion discs say this. Anyhow that disc felt like it was not in plastic type but in flex like the softer runs of R-Pro but in Pro before molds slower then 6 speed got stopped in Pro. I am almost positive that in the last year of Echo Star as it was being stopped people working at Innova moved the last plastic over to get stamped Pro so that then the scrap plastic could get used in pro sponsored Innova players Signature discs should they have chose to get Star for the plastic used in the mold they want for there disc.

Last edited:
My only new Pro Destroyer is embossed with destroyer and penned Pro.

It is definitely Pro plastic by feel and flexibility.

I have some Pro vs Star that are hard to tell but most are Infinite or Discmania. My Innova stuff star feels like star and Pro feels like Pro. Pro being more tacky and more flexible. The big difference is the flexibility in the flight plate. It almost feels thinner.

The few hard to tell discs I have are an S-line TD that feels more like Pro than Star.

Then I have a few S-line Exodus and a couple I-line (supposed to be essentially Pro) Exodus. VERY hard to tell the difference. Similar tacky/grip the flight plate does feel softer but just barely on the I-blend. A couple I-Blend Pharohs that are pretty stiff but if I compare them side by side with a Star Shryke the Pharohs are more flexible and tacky.

I think there are quite a few that if you gave me a stack miss-stamped and didn't let me compare I wouldn't know. But having something to compare it too? I may not think they were misstamped but would probably say they feel stiffer than normal Pro or more flexible than normal Star.

When I said most people couldn't tell the difference, I spefically meant when fondling the discs prior to purchasing.
[/B]

At first, I agree. Eventually the pro plastic would start getting dinged up and lose its flight characteristics a lot faster than star.

I stopped throwing pro plastic years ago because I didn't like the way it beat in. Obviously its still a lot better than DX, but pro goes randomly bad quickly for no apparent reason. The plastic can also warp over time.

One plastic that's actually surprised me with good durability is G*. The stuff is gummy, but it holds up really well, and doesn't seem to lose stability very fast.

Completely agree with damn near everything you said. Over time, the difference in durability becomes apparent. As for the underlined...

I wouldn't describe it as random or for no reason at all. I find it beats in quite predictably, with pretty obvious cause and effect; primarily hard tree hits and other normal impacts.

Happens quicker with drivers because they're thrown at higher speeds and have a sharper edge which concentrates the force of impact. Putters and mids tend to hold the stability longer because they don't get thrown as hard. But I haven't found Pro to be random and flaky as you describe.

On a slightly different note...

I read somewhere (probs some post on DGCR years back) that Pro plastic was so named because it flies like a well-seasoned Champ disc, right out of the box. Hence it's suitable for pros to use as an immediate replacement for a lost Champ, without requiring the time it takes to "cycle" a champ disc into that flight... especially if they needed something to fill that slot quicky for a tourney.

Absolutely no idea if there's even a shred of truth to that being why they named it Pro, but given how they fly compared to a fresh Champ, and how long it takes to beat Champ plastic in... seems like a plausible anecdote.

Last edited:
I ordered a couple of Pro Leopards from the Factory Store last year (in white) that are marked P-L on the bottom. They are definitely Star plastic, and I believe their only flaw was that they were hand-labeled as Pro (I would love to get some more of those at that price). Mystery solved.

I just got a star Wraith last week that appears to have some champ plastic mixed in. It's not completely opaque, but not nearly as clear as regular champion. I really like it.

The best Pro for me is the stiffer but grippy kind. I have a Pro Leopard that is very stiff but grippy. It doesn't beat in as fast either. No warping or nothing on hard tree kicks. I prefer some give on the flight plate but would rather it be stiffer then floppy.

my pro leos are the older "Pro Line" ones but 15+ years later they still have pretty good stability. stiff, slightly tacky, and i have to put a lot on them to turn them over. *disclaimer* noodle arm

I just got a star Wraith last week that appears to have some champ plastic mixed in. It's not completely opaque, but not nearly as clear as regular champion. I really like it.

"STampion" sounds like it would be an interesting blend

i remember people calling it ChampyStar in the MP back around 2012-ish. is that still in use?

"STampion" sounds like it would be an interesting blend

i remember people calling it ChampyStar in the MP back around 2012-ish. is that still in use?

Whatever it's called I like it. It would be cool if they ran something like that intentionally. I got it from Marshall Street and it has a Climo 12x stamp so it's probably older. Really nice feel though.

Sometimes you'll see "star" plastic that I swear is either mislabeled, or it has a lot of pro in it. Rubbery and not very durable.

I remember when star plastic first came out, it was some of the best flying, most durable plastic I'd ever seen. Anymore, batches of star plastic can vary widely. I've seen some bad stuff at times.

Latest posts