• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tuna ITB Record

Still loving my TBs for the fairway driver slot, but feeling like I need something a little faster, between the TBs & Orcs.

Tried an Undertaker for a couple rounds and it worked pretty decent, but I wanted something that was more neutral out of the box. Ordered a few Valkyries (2) star & (1) pro. Interested to see how these do in that slot.

3 Destroyer
2 Orc
2 Valkyrie
1 Firebird
3 TeeBird
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
4 Challenger

Well, now I'm throughly confused :\

The Valkyries that I got (2 Star, 1 Pro) fly WAY overstable, almost like my Orcs. Not what I was looking for...

Did a little more fieldwork with the Undertakers. I think this is what I'm looking for, but I'm mildly concerned about the crossover between the TBs and Undertakers. This has the opportunity for me to overcomplicate a decision when it "matters".

Also found a Nova. The owner didn't want it back, so I've been playing around with that. Kind of a fun disc, but doesn't really fit into my lineup. If I were to use it, it would be for approaches. My beat in Pro-D Challenger already handles that responsibility well.

For now I'm rolling with

3 Destroyer (2 Star, 1 Pro)
2 Orc (1 Star, 1 Champ)
1 CG Champ Firebird
2 Undertaker (1 ESP, 1 Ti)
3 Star TeeBird
3 Comet (ESP, BigZ, JB)
1 BigZ Drone
2 Zone (1 ESP, 1 BigZ)
3 Challenger (2 RB, 1 Pro-D)

Well, now I'm throughly confused :\

The Valkyries that I got (2 Star, 1 Pro) fly WAY overstable, almost like my Orcs. Not what I was looking for...

Also found a Nova. The owner didn't want it back, so I've been playing around with that. Kind of a fun disc, but doesn't really fit into my lineup. If I were to use it, it would be for approaches. My beat in Pro-D Challenger already handles that responsibility well.

Some Star Valkyries come out overstable, especially relative to what you might be expecting. I have some fourteen Valkyries (long story as to why), and they run the gamut from Thunderbird-'ish' overstable to Sidewinder-'ish' understable. My 165g Star Valk is the most overstable of them all, even more than the 175g Champ Valks I own. Apparently the run just came out that way. I prefer Pro Valkyries now; at least they can be seasoned in more quickly.

As to the Nova, it's a great disc for warming up and seeing how you're throwing. The Nova is very telling if you're not throwing with good form. When I get wrist rollover, I take my Novas to the range (schoolyard) and work with them until they're flying straight and true. Then the rest of my throws with other discs during that session are much better.

Sometimes I'm dumb for no good reason....

I've had Escapes in the bag before, and that's really the faster/glidier compliment to the TeeBird I've been looking for. But, I'm not a fan of the DD brand, so I let brand bias prevent me from playing the "best" disc in the slot (for me). This is the slot I was hoping the Valkyrie or Undertaker could fill, but each fell short of my expectations.

3 Destroyer
168 Star Destroyer: OS
170 Pro Destroyer: Neutral
157 Star Destroyer: US
2 Orc
175 Star Orc: Neutral/OS
169 Champ Orc: Neutral/US
Firebird
175 GC Champion FB
2 Escape
173 Lucid Escape: Stable
169 Fuzion Escape: Neutral/US
2 TeeBird
172 Star TeeBird: Neutral/OS
152 Star TeeBird: Neutral/US
Tweener
173 Z Stalker
3 Comet
177 ESP Comet: Stable
177 BigZ Comet: Neutral/US
177 JB Comet: US
2 Stable Mids
179 400G MX3
177 BigZ Drone
Inside 250'
172 ESP Zone
173 Pro-D Challenger
174 RB Challenger (X2)

Despite my general 'meh' attitude towards carts, I recently picked up a zuca compact with accumulated vouchers. The thought is that it's lighter, more maneuverable, & holds the max capacity I'd likely ever need. Time will tell if I like it more than the bag. I do like the idea of having a seat at all times...
3 Destroyer
3 Orc
1 FB
2 Escape
2 TeeBird
2 Stalker
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
1 Nova
4 Challenger (2X putting & 2X approach)

Despite my general 'meh' attitude towards carts, I recently picked up a zuca compact with accumulated vouchers. The thought is that it's lighter, more maneuverable, & holds the max capacity I'd likely ever need. Time will tell if I like it more than the bag. I do like the idea of having a seat at all times...
3 Destroyer
3 Orc
1 FB
2 Escape
2 TeeBird
2 Stalker
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
1 Nova
I like having a cart, but I went to Bluebird today and was really glad I was using the bag. The cart has its time and place, though.

3 Destroyer
3 Orc
1 FB
2 Escape
2 TeeBird
2 Stalker
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
1 Nova
Is that Drone still the superbeat one? I was going to ask if you had a hole between the Comet and Drone but then I read in your open post that the Drone was thrashed, which would answer that question.

I like having a cart, but I went to Bluebird today and was really glad I was using the bag. The cart has its time and place, though.

Ok, so the compact cart is nice. I like it more than the backpack cart I was previously using. It is smaller and easier to maneuver/pick up to get over obstacles.

Is that Drone still the superbeat one? I was going to ask if you had a hole between the Comet and Drone but then I read in your open post that the Drone was thrashed, which would answer that question.

I have a BigZ Drone in there bag now, and it is a little more stable than the thrashed old ESP. That said, I rarely use it unless it is kind of a utility shot
RHFH between zone & FB
RHBH prefer over zone for this shot, but typically just throw a putter.

I tried a new Prodigy MX3 between the Comet & Drone, but I didn't really click with it. Considering trying McBeth's new mid when that comes out, but I go back and forth on whether I really need a mid-stability midrange. The Comet & Stalker handle most of my midrange needs. Anything else, I tend to throw a putter...

Last edited:
Ok, so the compact cart is nice. I like it more than the backpack cart I was previously using. It is smaller and easier to maneuver/pick up to get over obstacles.
Not maneuverable is the biggest problem I have with the cart. I mean other than not being able to fit the damn thing is a car without taking the back wheels off. There are a lot of downsides to the cart. It helps with the back, though. It's a trade-off.

I go back and forth on whether I really need a mid-stability midrange. The Comet & Stalker handle most of my midrange needs. Anything else, I tend to throw a putter...
Oh, I see now. The Stalker would range in there. I carry a Sentinel with Comets mostly to have something I can snap off lower and harder than a Comet; I've never really figured out how to get a Comet to work for me on anything other than a high line. I haven't thrown a Stalker but I'd have to guess it's a better disc for a low-line shot. I'm a huge Comet hypocrite since I claim it's a "carry one midrange" kind of disc, but then I always pair it with something because I can't get it to do everything. I think it's mostly user error, though.

Not maneuverable is the biggest problem I have with the cart. I mean other than not being able to fit the damn thing is a car without taking the back wheels off. There are a lot of downsides to the cart. It helps with the back, though. It's a trade-off.

I drive an SUV, so I have to take the top pole out, but the rest just fits in back...
My feet are my problem. I think I'm starting to develop arthritis in my toe joints, so standing/walking a lot can cause pain. So, the seat is nice.

Oh, I see now. The Stalker would range in there. I carry a Sentinel with Comets mostly to have something I can snap off lower and harder than a Comet; I've never really figured out how to get a Comet to work for me on anything other than a high line. I haven't thrown a Stalker but I'd have to guess it's a better disc for a low-line shot. I'm a huge Comet hypocrite since I claim it's a "carry one midrange" kind of disc, but then I always pair it with something because I can't get it to do everything. I think it's mostly user error, though.

My Stalker works like your Sentinel. To me, it is right in between the Comet and TeeBirds (I also throw). I have found the same thing, the Comet likes to have some air under it. I really love it for powerful, low line, hyzer flips, to flat. I'll generally use the Comet as an approach disc on that line.

Liking the compact cart. Only problem is balance on uneven terrain, but it's not a big deal.
2 Destroyer
2 Orc
1 FB
2 Escape
2 TeeBird
2 Stalker
3 Comet
1 Drone
2 Zone
4 Challenger

Lost the Nova in the lake, bought another to confine the experiment. But haven't really thrown it. Still kinda fun to throw around though....

Which lake? :|

I swear if I played that course all the time I'd have to take out a loan to replace all the discs I'd lose.

Haha, Logan University in Chesterfield.
Every Thursday after league my wife asks, "how many discs did you loose?" Not did you, how many...

Lake Holes: Temporarily lost - we have people that rake the lakes on 5, 6, 13, 15, & 16 so they usually come back
Creek holes: Temporarily lost after a big rain, but usually recoverable on holes 7, 8, 14, & 17

The Nova was a strange thing, I was pitching out of the woods (because I flubbed my drive) and hit an electrical box, it caught edge and rolled ~100' down a hill into the lake, never to be seen again (until someone finds it).

Haha, Logan University in Chesterfield.
Every Thursday after league my wife asks, "how many discs did you loose?" Not did you, how many...

Lake Holes: Temporarily lost - we have people that rake the lakes on 5, 6, 13, 15, & 16 so they usually come back
Creek holes: Temporarily lost after a big rain, but usually recoverable on holes 7, 8, 14, & 17

The Nova was a strange thing, I was pitching out of the woods (because I flubbed my drive) and hit an electrical box, it caught edge and rolled ~100' down a hill into the lake, never to be seen again (until someone finds it).
Phil ends up out here from time to time so he's on my facebook; I get to see the huge piles of plastic you guys are pulling out of those ponds.

I got back there for the first time since it was redesigned two weekends ago; only had time for nine. Had a rollaway on five sit down right next to the pond, tried to throw my drive on six into the pond but just barely made it over so I could turn over my second shot and lose sight of it (no telling where it is,) then I hit the cage on 9 and had a rollaway that sat down 3' short of the road. It was a fun time. :| I'm going to have to get over there and play the back nine soon, I'm sure I'll be able to lose more than one disc back there.

Phil ends up out here from time to time so he's on my facebook; I get to see the huge piles of plastic you guys are pulling out of those ponds.

I'm going to have to get over there and play the back nine soon, I'm sure I'll be able to lose more than one disc back there.

Phil is a good dude, but he's been working out of town lately...

Let me know when you make it back this way & I'll show you all the good places to loose discs!

Not much has changed... Added Emacs now that the stability has been knocked of the Comets...

2 Destroyer
2 Orc
1 FB
1 Escape
2 TeeBird
1 Stalker
2 Comet
2 Emac Truth
1 Drone
2 Zone
2 Pro-D Challenger
2 RB Challenger

Haven't been playing much lately...

Daylight is short and temperature is impacting flight characteristics...

Grip BX
3 Destroyer (OS, S, US)
2 Orc
2 FB
Escape
2 TeeBird
Stalker
3 Comet (Glo, ESP, JB)
Emac
Drone
Zone
Challenger (Pro-d & RBx2 (new & seasoned)

playing pretty uninspired golf lately...

Daylight is short and temperature is impacting flight characteristics...

Grip BX
3 Destroyer (OS, S, US)
2 Orc
2 FB
Escape
2 TeeBird
Stalker
3 Comet (Glo, ESP, JB)
Emac
Drone
Zone
Challenger (Pro-d & RBx2 (new & seasoned)

playing pretty uninspired golf lately...

How does the cold impact the flight of the discs? I live over in Columbia so our weather is pretty similar to yours. I haven't played much cold weather DG

This is my opinion and in no way able to be backed up with empirical evidence.
Personal results may vary...

During this time of year, we tend to encounter windy conditions more regularly, which impacts flight. The colder my hands are, the harder it is to get a good grip and subsequent snap, so that also impacts flight characteristics. Lastly, the lower the temp, the stiffer the plastic and the more "stable" it flies (for me).

How does the cold impact the flight of the discs? I live over in Columbia so our weather is pretty similar to yours. I haven't played much cold weather DG