• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tuna ITB Record

Golden Tuna

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Hey Guys,

I never thought I'd start a bag thread, but here we are. I find myself thinking my bag is set, then I go and change something. So, I wanted one place to record the evolution of my bag.

Background
Introduced to the sport: 2001
First Event: 2007
Division(s): Local: MPO, Sanctioned: MA1, Next Year: MP40
Throwing Style: Primarily RHBH, RHFH Utility
PDGA Rating: ~945
Other Sports: Hockey & Tennis
Goals: Really just to record my bag/thoughts and see how it evolves.
Additional Info: I spend more time working on my course and the local club than I do playing...

Most people start with distance, but P&A is far more important to my game than distance. Plus, I throw putters in place of mids an awful lot, so I'll start with the putters.

Putting Putters:
174g RB Challenger: Interchangeable
175g RB Challenger: Interchangeable
These are strictly for circle 1 and about half of circle 2. Once I get past 50', I change to the Pro-D or Crystal for jump putts.

Throwing Putters
174g Pro-D Challenger: Approach Shots
175g Crystal Challenger: Driving putter - acts more like a mid than a putter
177g Pro-D Zone: RHFH approaches, shaping approach lines
173g ESP Zone: More stable flick approaches, get out of trouble
* Challengers are primarily thrown RHBH, Zones primarily thrown RHFH.

Mids
177g ESP Drone: Old, beat to hell, throw it more like a buzz
> Honorable mention. I'm trying to 'replace' my beat drone with a wasp. So the wasp comes and goes...
177g ESP Comet:
177g Z Comet:
I'm new to Comets, but these things are awesome! I use the two interchangeably for most shots between 225'-300'

Tweeners
175g Crystal Stalker: Beat
175g Crystal Stalker: New
I use stalkers like a longer Comet, or shorter TeeBird. I am fairly confident in my ability to put a stalker inside the circle from about 300' out.

Fairway
172g Star TeeBird: Worn
172g Star TeeBird: Newer
Great fairway control drivers. the worn one is a straight flyer. The newer one still has a bit of stability so it is good for hyzer finish or straight shots in the wind.

171g G* Firebird:
175g ColorGlo Firebird:
Best FH disc on the market in my opinion. I can throw the G* RHFH ~275 (max). I also use this disc RHBH if I need a touch more stability than my newer TeeBird.
The ColorGlo is the more stable version. I use it for the same things, but with less distance or more fade.

173g Star Orc: Beat
173g Star Orc: Worn
Orcs are a great distance fairway control driver. I have been using Orcs for over a decade, so I have a variety of them that are beat into different stabilities.

Distance
170g Pro Destroyer
172g Star Destroyer
168g Star Destroyer
The Pro version is slightly understable, so I use this for all out distance and controlled distance. The 172g Star is my middle-of-the-road Destroyer that is good for long bombs that need a hyzer finish. The 168 Star Destroyer is (oddly) the beefcake of the batch and used for more utility shots.

Back in the Zuca

Out
ESP Comet
ESP Drone
Beat Star Orc

In
170g Beat Champ Orc
150g Star TeeBird
172g ESP Zone
177g Z Wasp
FAF Champ Firebird

Thoughts
The Comets are basically identical. So, right now, I don't need both.
The beat ESP Drone & new Z Wasp fly very similar lines - trying the Wasp alone for a while.
The beat Star Orc just isn't clicking - trying the old champ Orc for a while.

Been missing the super beat Star TeeBird, so putting the 150 TB in to cover those turnover lines. The beat Stalker just doesn't glide like the TeeBird, which limits the distance of turnovers...
FAF: Got it from Ricky on Easter... Try it for utility shots

3 Destroyer
2 Orc
3 Firebird
3 TeeBird
2 Stalker
1 Comet
1 Wasp
2 Zone
4 Challenger

1 round with the Zuca... It just doesn't seem necessary. Back to the BX, so I dropped the ESP Zone.

3 Destroyer
2 Orc
3 Firebird
3 TeeBird
2 Stalker
Comet
Wasp
Zone
4 Challenger

Rough night at league, put 3 in the drink...

Out
Champ FB
G* FB
D Zone

In
168 G* FB
174 JB Zone
173 GLO ESP Zone

3 Destroyer
2 Orc
2 Firebird
3 TeeBird
2 Stalker
1 Comet
1 Wasp
2 Zone
4 Challenger

Thoughts
Haven't been throwing the wasp much.
150 class TB is a good addition, just need to dial it in
Stop throwing discs in lakes...

Last edited:
3:3 returned & back in the bag.

Champ FB put back in the drink - probably not coming back this time...

Out
FAF Firebird
Z Wasp
Z Comet

In
BigZ Comet

3 Destroyer
2 Orc
2 Firebird
3 TeeBird
2 Stalker
1 Comet
2 Zone
4 Challenger

Rough night at league, put 3 in the drink...

Stop throwing discs in lakes...

I've been having the problem of the DG gods claiming sacrifice, and so I have some cheap DX discs. Have you tried a DX Firebird for those holes that are eating your FBs?

I've been having the problem of the DG gods claiming sacrifice, and so I have some cheap DX discs. Have you tried a DX Firebird for those holes that are eating your FBs?

Yeah... I have. It was beat to perfection and the prairie grass ate it... G* actually replaced the beat in DX. Frankly, I'm more frustrated by my poor decision making than I am losing discs. None of them were necessary shots, and I threw them anyway, knowing the potential for losing them...

My home course is heavy on risk/reward. Accepting when the reward is NOT worth the risk is becoming more of a focus for me lately...

Put the newer Crystal Stalker in the drink last night at league. Need to rifle through the back ups to see what will work for a replacement. Not happy about losing this one...

It came back!

2 Destroyer
2 Orc
2 Firebird
4 TeeBird
2 Stalker
2 Comet
2 Zone
4 Challenger

Have a new Crystal Stalker on the way. Z Stalker is standing in until it arrives... Not as stable as the Crystal, but flying pretty well anyway.

Last edited:
It came back!

2 Destroyer
2 Orc
2 Firebird
4 TeeBird
2 Stalker
2 Comet
2 Zone
4 Challenger

Have a new Crystal Stalker on the way. Z Stalker is standing in until it arrives... Not as stable as the Crystal, but flying pretty well anyway.

Z Stalker is almost the same flight as a TL or TL 3. The Stalker even has a mini bead on the rim/wing like the TL or TL 3.

Z Stalker is almost the same flight as a TL or TL 3. The Stalker even has a mini bead on the rim/wing like the TL or TL 3.

I throw it more like a mid. Think of a long buzzz... I use Teebirds for the Tl/TL3 type lines...
Thanks for the feedback.

I throw it more like a mid. Think of a long buzzz... I use Teebirds for the Tl/TL3 type lines...
Thanks for the feedback.

Actually for me that is where a Glide/Impact is a between midrange and fairway disc that flies like a longer Buzz with a different rim. Discraft is really well known for this having molds that are between midrange and fairway. the fairway like the Stratus/Archer molds are the other example of molds that fly like a midrange/fairway hybrid. I consider most speed 9 to be a control Driver just like speed 10 a now obsolete distance from new companies. I use a Discraft Stalker as a replacement for the XL no longer made in a premium plastic and modern Pro D is worse then most other brands that have baseline plastic. Most other base plastics do not have runs or discs made like most Pro D is, to the point a single hard tree hit or parts of the basket could make the disc warped.

It has its place...

Played a tournament recently & used the Zuca again. It was useful on this long day.

If I had a brain, I would've emptied 1/2 the crap out of the bag to make it lighter for the 2nd round....

I still prefer the BX for day to day rounds.

Swapped the Z Stalker out for the new Crystal Stalker. Feedback forthcoming...

2 Destroyer
2 Orc
2 Firebird
4 TeeBird
2 Stalker
2 Comet
2 Zone
4 Challenger

A-Tier forthcoming...
3 Destroyer
2 Orc
2 Firebird
4 TeeBird
2 Stalker
2 Comet
1 Drone
1 Zone
4 Challenger

* Added a super over stable Destroyer & the Drone...
Went to 1 Zone because there's no water on any of the courses so no real opportunity to lose 1. Also, staying with 1 zone allows me to carry the BX for upcoming practice rounds. I may put the bag in the Zuca during the event, but, we'll see...

Last edited:
A-Tier was a terrific success from a logistics and management perspective but a disaster in terms of my "on-course" performance. Can't blame any of the discs for my inability to execute on the plan...

Going to maintain the following:

168 Star Destroyer: OS
167 Star Destroyer: Neutral
170 Pro Destroyer: US

175 Star Orc: Neutral
175 Star Orc: US

175 GC Firebird: OS
172 G* Firebird: OS/Neutral

171 Star TeeBird: OS
174 Star TeeBird: OS/Neutral
172 Star TeeBird: Neutral/US
152 Star TeeBird: US

174 Crystal Stalker: OS/Neutral
174 Crystal Stalker: Neutral/US

175 BigZ Comet
175 ESP Comet
175 ESP Drone
175 ESP Zone

174 Pro-D Challenger X2: Driving/Approach
174 Rubber Blend Challenger X2: Putting only

*Ordered a couple ESP Challengers to test for approach shots. I loved the old ESP/FLX Challengers for this slot, so trying the new blend as an experiment. Also ordered a BigZ Zone because, well, you can never have too many Zones...

167 Star Destroyer: Neutral/OS
170 Pro Destroyer: Neutral
157 Star Destroyer: US

175 Star Orc: Neutral/OS
175 Star Orc: Neutral/US

175 GC Firebird

172 Star TeeBird: OS/Neutral
170 Champ TeeBird: Neutral/US

174 Z Stalker: Neutral/US

175 JB Comet: US
175 BigZ Comet: Neutral
175 ESP Comet: Stable

175 BigZ Drone

175 ESP Zone
174 BigZ Zone

174 Pro-D Challenger: Approach
175 Crystal Challenger: Drives, long approaches

*BigZ drone & zone are working great!

Minor changes...

167 Star Destroyer: Neutral/OS
170 Pro Destroyer: Neutral
157 Star Destroyer: US

175 Star Orc: Neutral/OS
165 Champ Orc: Neutral/US

175 GC Firebird

172 MF TeeBird: OS
172 Star TeeBird: OS/Neutral
170 Champ TeeBird: Neutral/US

174 Z Stalker: Neutral/US

175 JB Comet: US
175 BigZ Comet: Neutral
175 ESP Comet: Stable

175 BigZ Drone

175 ESP Zone
174 BigZ Zone

174 Pro-D Challenger: Approach
175 Crystal Challenger: Drives, long approaches

Both of the cryztal challengers I have are straighter than a fresh D challenger. Now I'm using an old run Ti Challenger for drives.

Do you have older Cryztal Challys, or did you find some nice new overstable ones?

Both of the cryztal challengers I have are straighter than a fresh D challenger. Now I'm using an old run Ti Challenger for drives.

Do you have older Cryztal Challys, or did you find some nice new overstable ones?

I only have 1 Crystal Challenger (from 2009), but still has good stability. Not sure what I'd do if I lost it...

Hey, wait, I thought you were off Challengers... Just go ahead and send me what you got and I'll use those...:D

Latest posts