• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing in the cold

adamdadkins

(First off, I did search for some previous threads about winter tips and didn't find any. If I missed one, link me and shut this sucker down.)

I'm in the Dayton, OH area and in late February my uncle and I are playing a tournament. We've never been serious winter players, but playing our first doubles tourney was too exciting to pass up (plus it helps a charity).

My concern is how to prepare properly for what could be rather frigid conditions. I doubt we play if it's below 10 degrees F, but even at a balmy 25 it's an issue.

I'm thinking of, obviously, layering up, but not too much (range of motion). I can't use a glove on my throw hand (makes me an anny machine) but I will on my left. Likely will carry hand warmers in my hoodie pouch and pants pockets.

Any other tips, experiences that can help? Very much appreciated!

It sounds like you've already hit the major points:

Light layers that insulate without restricting movement are good. Vests are a good option to keep your core warm without restricting your arms.
Hand warmers are great.

A couple other things:
If there's snow on the ground, keep your discs in the car overnight. Warm discs melt the snow which will make it wet on the surface, leaving you with a wet sloppy mess on your disc. It's very easy to knock all the snow off a cold disc.
Keep your head warm. It's amazing how much warmer you can stay with a good hat on.

Last edited:
adamdadkins;2327731 I'm in the Dayton, OH area and in late February my uncle and I are playing a tournament. We've never been serious winter players, but playing our first doubles tourney was too exciting to pass up (plus it helps a charity).

I was VERY tempted to play in that same tourney if its that one that I'm thinking of, but was unable to make it out there. Layers is important because you to to stay warm and me able to layer down in necessary. I try to use grippier/softer disc as well. Hand warmers are nice, and warm liquids for the insides if possible. Try to keep your head, hands and feet warm and dry.

I added a nice pair of gaiters to the winter disc gear list this year and I have to recommend them. I'm wearing the same boots as winters past, and my feet are staying warm and dry the entire time I stay out, and I'm playing much better.

My must haves for playing in the snow are: handwarmer(s), glove for the off-hand, wool hat, vest for warmth, gaiters for the boots, 7oz of Fireball and one IPA.

Last edited:
Mittens are way better than gloves for keeping hands warm. Hand warmers work better in mittens as well

Layers of non-cotton based fabrics. They dry faster, and pack smaller. Bring a bag big enough to hold layers as you strip them off

2 pairs of socks. One thin and then an outer thermal pair will keep warmer. warm feet = happy

Cold discs tip is an excellent one

Ribbons as required

less stable plastic. Its hard to generate proper hit and snap in winter. Less stable discs can help with this

Warm tea in a thermos helps tremendously

Some sort of boot crampon works great for traction in snow and ice. Lately we have been playing in snow shoes

Don't expect it to be the same as summer golf. Winter golf for me is all about ****es and giggles

The vest is a very good idea. If you do not want to spend money on one though just get an old hoodie and cut the sleeves off. Then you have 1 more layer around your torso without the added bulk to your arms.

Dressing in layers is definitely the best way to go. I use under armor base layers underneath everything else and it does a lot to help me stay warm. With it you often need less bulk and it doesn't get too hot even when it's 40 or 50 outside as it breathes well. Its not cheap ($80-$120 for the top and bottom) but worth every penny for me.

The vest is a very good idea. If you do not want to spend money on one though just get an old hoodie and cut the sleeves off. Then you have 1 more layer around your torso without the added bulk to your arms.

What a great idea! I may have to go home and try that one out!

I have a Nike vest the wife found at a thrift store. Works great and I don't need to worry about ripping it.

I will second/third the use of mittens. I have one for my throwing hand with a warmer inside. I take it off to throw, and put it back on. I usually just use a regular glove on the non-throwing hand.

Usually, though, by the time I have completed a few holes my hands are warm enough to dispense with all gloves, even in the low 20s.

90% of my winter gear has been acquired from thrift stores. Under Armor, Nike, North Face, Burton, and other high-end names are there for the taking sometimes! I love it all, but would never pay retail (or even outlet) prices for it. Well, except for the boots maybe.....

My setup (I play many rounds at the 10-20º range):

I prefer one pair of long, thick wool socks and a pair of tall, insulated boots. I rock Matterhorns. As long as my feet are warm and dry, I'm usually warm.

One pair of insulated wind pants. Great range of motion...I can't throw with jeans on. Wind pants with long johns underneath would work for me as well.

Short sleeved T-shirt, long sleeve T-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, and windbreaker-type jacket over. If it's 25 or above, I usually end up taking the windbreaker off. If it's too cold, I have a thick fleece top I'll wear, with a fleece pocket in the front. Works just like those hand warmers QB's wear if it's too cold.

One glove, off hand. I usually end up taking this off after a few holes, if it's 20 or above. I don't like hand warmers, but I'm an odd duck.

Winter cap. I prefer the type with the big fuzzy ball on the top. I could easily go with a baseball cap and something over my ears, as well.

I will admit, I tend to not be affected by the cold as much as the average bear, but that's my basic setup for winter golf.

For a casual round try batting gloves. I understand they are against official rules, but if the group agrees, right? They work well for drives and longer shots, not so well for putting.

For a casual round try batting gloves. I understand they are against official rules, but if the group agrees, right? They work well for drives and longer shots, not so well for putting.

Gloves are legal to use in sanctioned play

Forget cotton. There are a lot of cotton and cotton blend undergarments, including undergarments marketed as cold weather clothing. This includes socks. Cotton holds moisture against the skin. If that moisture gets chilled there is nothing you can do to keep warm.

Even in the most severe conditions I've played in (single digit temps with double digit wind chills) I never wear more than 4 layers on my torso. Polypro underlayer, medium weight polyester sweatshirt, fleece zipper hoodie. And in the severest of weather a fleece vest.

Another important part of my winter weather garments is a neck muffler. Works better than a scarf.

I'm thinking:

Winter hat + potentially a headband + neckwarmer
Long sleeve t-shirt + cut-up-hoodie-vest + thick pullover
Glove on left hand + hand warmers in pockets
Winter socks + waterproof hiking shoes (and they have stood up to the task)

It was -21 degrees outside my window this morning. I can't wait to play at plus 25 again. That would be something.

If you're playing in snow leave the white discs at home. My DG bag has three sections. In winter I cut back on the number of discs I carry using once section of the bag for mids, one for drivers. The third section is for mittens and hats as they come off as the day warms and I work up a sweat. That way I don't lose mittens and I have them at the ready when things inevitably cool down again.

Just make sure your long sleeve shirt is non-cotton. You could probably get away with a winter hat and hoodie at that temp... that has been fine for me down to 0. The toe warmers that stick to the bottom of your feet are awesome, but not necessary at 25F... more of a luxury.

Any advice for those that have to keep score? When it is 0 degrees and windy, my hands are exposed too long while writing down scores, especially if I throw first. I think I will go with the batting glove next time.