• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poison Ivy (not the movie)

I've had poison ivy,oak and sumac literally hundreds of times since I was a kid. Just recently got a home remedy from a farmer. He said " once you have a rash develop, take a dish sponge and use the rough side. Scrub the hell out of it under hot water with soap. Then get some mothers organic apple cider vinegar. I got from Walmart for 4 dollars. Flip the sponge over fill with vinegar and dab all over the area. This burns like no other. Smells bad too. Next morning. Dried up and no more itch. I have done this 4 times this season already and works like a charm. Found my cure and hope this helps you too.

Wow, that sounds Fight Clubish. :gross: :D

I've had poison ivy,oak and sumac literally hundreds of times since I was a kid. Just recently got a home remedy from a farmer. He said " once you have a rash develop, take a dish sponge and use the rough side. Scrub the hell out of it under hot water with soap. Then get some mothers organic apple cider vinegar. I got from Walmart for 4 dollars. Flip the sponge over fill with vinegar and dab all over the area. This burns like no other. Smells bad too. Next morning. Dried up and no more itch. I have done this 4 times this season already and works like a charm. Found my cure and hope this helps you too.

another way to do this (dry out the lesions) is to take a dip at the beach (assuming its saltwater). whenever I got poison ivy as a kid I'd just swim at the beach in front of my house and it would be dry and crusted up the next morning.

these days? just bring some soap and water and do a quick rinse after playing if you suspect you got touched by poison ivy. personally I just bring one of my wife's bath and body works hand soap bottles (that have the automatic foaming dispensers and smell fruity ;) ) and just start soaping down my legs/arms and rinse with water (i usually have a couple 2 liter soda bottles filled with tap water) and then pat dry with a spare towel.

I'm one of the blessed that's never had a problem with poison ivy, oak, sumac etc...

That said, I have a friend that does get it and relieves the itch with Desonex powder. Worth a shot if you're itching like crazy. It obviously works for fungal infections. He says it stops the itching.

My wife gets it and takes the steroids. She can't stand the smell of Desonex and is picky (like most women) about what touches her skin.

And electro-shock therapy used to be an acceptable, scientific, approach to treating mental health issues.

There is plenty of evidence that Native Americans had many uses for poison oak, now I'm guessing you don't believe that as well because some 'scientist' didn't witness it or write a paper about it. That's cool....wonder how you feel about the conflicting scientific evidence about climate change? Rhetorical question there, please, no answer needed.

But I will. Totally different point ^. If native americans put poison ivy on arrows or used red berries to color dye that is obviously something that is possible and there is plenty of evidence of it like you mentioned.

There is no evidence except you claim that you saw friends eat "poison ivy" then were cured of it. That is not evidence. The three leafed Kudzu looks like poison ivy to most people as does box elder and virginia creeper. Most people just look for 3 leaves. So your friends could have been eating kudzu(a good source of protein) and rubbing virginia creeper on their legs, then you think oh, they are cured... then irresponsibly go telling people that its OK to eat poison ivy when it is not. Additionally people can grow out of allergies, so it could easily be that.

If you said, if you want to torture your enemies, you can rub poison ivy on garments and make them wear them. The oil may cause rashes and itching...well we would be able to believe you because there is actual evidence that poison ivy causes itching in some people.

Spreading terrible information that could get someone hurt or sick is extremely irresponsible and if you can't tell the difference then its probably not worth my time engaging with you.

And electro-shock therapy used to be an acceptable, scientific, approach to treating mental health issues.

ECT therapy is actually still in use. It sounds/looks a lot worse than it actually is because its been shown in horror/drama movies to be this horrific treatment. But during my clinical psych rotations you learn that its actually peer reviewed/meta analysis show it to be effective treatment. ECT is done under anesthesia. But just like shark attacks being sensationalized in Jaws, they still to this day show it in media as a screaming woman who is shackled down forced into "shock therapy" (like claire danes in homeland).

media sensationalism is a tough bitch to shake though, because till this day I'll be swimming in water and start to hear the Jaws theme in my head and think a huge shark or crocodile is about to bite me in half - and I could be swimming in a pool at a hotel.

Maybe Native American populations evolved to have greater immunity to poison ivy, much like Europeans evolved to have greater immunity to smallpox.

:\

the one huge example of this is native african populations having sickle cell traits with their blood cells - which theoretically was an adaption to deal with malaria.

Last edited:
They still use electro shock when trying to scare the gay out of people right? Maybe that was in a book I read.....

They still use electro shock when trying to scare the gay out of people right? Maybe that was in a book I read.....

^no.

ECT is effective in treating things like manic depression and bi-polar disorders.

But I will. Totally different point ^. If native americans put poison ivy on arrows or used red berries to color dye that is obviously something that is possible and there is plenty of evidence of it like you mentioned.

There is no evidence except you claim that you saw friends eat "poison ivy" then were cured of it. That is not evidence. The three leafed Kudzu looks like poison ivy to most people as does box elder and virginia creeper. Most people just look for 3 leaves. So your friends could have been eating kudzu(a good source of protein) and rubbing virginia creeper on their legs, then you think oh, they are cured... then irresponsibly go telling people that its OK to eat poison ivy when it is not. Additionally people can grow out of allergies, so it could easily be that.

If you said, if you want to torture your enemies, you can rub poison ivy on garments and make them wear them. The oil may cause rashes and itching...well we would be able to believe you because there is actual evidence that poison ivy causes itching in some people.

Spreading terrible information that could get someone hurt or sick is extremely irresponsible and if you can't tell the difference then its probably not worth my time engaging with you.

Poison oak, not poison ivy. I'm well aware of what poison oak looks like, I've lived my entire life in an area that it is native to. PI does not grow, or is not native, to California. Not sure what Kudzu is, but it appears this plant does not grow where I live.

Now, I never said to run out and and do this, just passing along a story of what I saw. I never said it was OK, in fact I believe I said I wouldn't do it and it sounds stupid (which I agree with). I'm assuming the OP is more than capable of doing research and/or discussing any treatment with a doctor. He asked for information, I provided it. If you don't like what I put forth, simply ignore it.

There is anecdotal evidence that many people have done this, and continue to do so with little to no negative effect. My anecdotal evidence is that I've seen 2, well educated, 'normal' adult people do this and it worked for them. If you choose to believe that information, or me, you're choice. And like previously stated, I'm sure what works for some doesn't work for others.

Hot shower, as hot as you can stand, I mean really hot, seriously hot, but don't scald yourself. Doesn't get rid of the ivy any faster, but each hot treatment gets you several (sometimes 6-10) hours of no itching.

Maybe once you have poison ivy this is a good treatment but your first shower after coming into contact with ivy should be cold water. Hot water opens your pores and you want the cold water to keep them closed while you scrub with technu to remove the oils.

Maybe once you have poison ivy this is a good treatment but your first shower after coming into contact with ivy should be cold water. Hot water opens your pores and you want the cold water to keep them closed while you scrub with technu to remove the oils.

It's not a treatment at all. It simply relieves the itching symptoms. It does it effectively, but temporarily and doesn't make anything worse as long as you don't scald yourself (which is why I recommend starting with warm water and ramping up the temperature slowly).

Once you are itching, it's way too late to try to wash off the poision ivy with Technu or other soap.

never mind

I carry a little bleach in a bottle. It breaks down the oil. Rinse of with water. Not a great skin care treatment but it works if you mind the smell. Frankly, anything that breaks down the oil works fine.

I got it again last week. Not sure exactly how, but I woke up Thursday morning with little blisters starting between my fingers. They were everywhere. I went to the Doctor that afternoon. They put me on 40mg per day of Apo-Prednisone for a 5 day run. Blisters were gone the next day. Every other little blister or rash healed immediately as well.

Prednisone is not easy on the body, but it was necessary in this case. I couldn't bear the thought of 3 weeks of weeping fingers.

Avoid sodium on the juice. It makes you retain lots of water.

Heard this before, and it actually makes sense.

Once you are itching, it's way too late to try to wash off the poision ivy with Technu or other soap.
This has been my experience. Steroids or Zanfel seem to be the only ways to get relief at that point. A hot shower might help, but very momentarily.

Last edited:
You need shock therapy.
Sounds kinky! :D

There have been several good remedies in this thread. Salt water and vinegar are both safe to use on open wounds, and may provide some relief. Calomine, steroids, anti-itch creams, etc all work quite effectively.

There have been some dangerous remedies. Bleach (unless diluted well past the point of being effective) is not something I'd pour on my skin, let alone in an open, weeping poison plant sore.

And there has been one suggestion that is out and out moronically dangerous. Anyone foolish enough to follow it (especially when medical science says it DOESN'T WORK) deserves whatever they get.

Oh, two other points of advice that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet. Technu is not only effective on your skin, but is safe to use on your dog if you take him/her discing with you. Also, some sort of PI remover should be used on discs that land in/around/may have rolled through PI.

Stick to the safe sounding rem