• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Wraith vs Surge

Both molds need dome to be any good. Flat Surges and Wraiths tend to be very overstable and severely lack glide.

You need to tell that to my Gurthie halo. That thing is pop top domey and pure beef.

Dome and runs are all subjective, so is elevation/terrain/weather/skill levels we all have on here.

That said, used to LOVE me some hot pink 2x Doss ESP Surges and they were all FAF (owned at least 8 of them).

You need to tell that to my Gurthie halo. That thing is pop top domey and pure beef.

Most star Wraiths I've ever thrown have been on the beefy side, dome or no. You need a legit 400' arm to really get turn on them if you're releasing flat.

I've seen really domey star Destroyers that were also severely overstable.

Surges are way trickier to judge. I've seen some really flippy ones, as well as stubbornly beefy ones. Wraiths tend to be more universally overstable than Surges.

Wraiths tolerate headwinds a lot better than Surges, but Surges will go further in calm or downwind conditions.

My Wraith throwing history consists of two Star 169g. One was flatter and hyzer flip with right movement before late fade. The other was very domey pop-top, super overstable with no turn and barely flip up a little. That one I lost.

I only have a 350ish average arm, but I wouldn't be bagging Star Wraiths as a workhorse distance driver if I couldn't get some reliable rightward drift out of them. Beat them in and they'll start turning after a month or so.

Lighter Pro Wraiths work great to for weaker arms too. Tough to find recently, and they can vary greatly in dominess, but they are an excellent option as well.

Love me some Pro Wraiths. Good grip/stability combo (for me). Got my only forehand ace with one. I mainly throw max weight Wraiths, but I also bag one in the upper 160s for when I want something flippier or easier to throw from a awkward stance.

Flattest Wraith I've owned was also the flippiest by a lot. Probably would have been a great roller disc if I had a decent backhand.

Also, Wraiths have a hair wider rim than Surges. My calipers show a Surge rim to be the same width as a Punisher, Thrasher, and Machete, if that's interesting to anyone.

I was at the store on Friday and bought another Wraith. 169g and pop top. It is more stable than the slight dome Wraith in the bag.

Also found it interesting that a Trespass and a Wraith have identical rim width and nearly identical rim depth - Wraith slightly shallower. Wraith has a flatter wing, Trespass slightly scooped wing. In my experience, they fly similarly. I have owned 3 Trespass and lost all three.

Wraith has been my main driver for the last 10 years. I think that the most important thing on a Wraith is the parting line height. All Wraiths that I have ever had with a low PLH have been understable. All with a high PLH have been overstable. The dome seems to really effect the glide. A domier Wraith has more distance potential while I feel a flatter Wraith is more Controlable. I currently bag 4 Wraiths.
A flat, old PFN, with a lower PLH that is nice and seasoned. It flys like a longer Roadrunner.
A domey, old PFN, that has a slightly higher PLH. This is my Max distance bomber. It has good turn and holds straight forever before fading
A newer (run I really liked from 3 years ago) one that has a neutral dome and PLH. This is my go to driver, a little turn, predictable fade and good distance
A Halo Wraith that compared to my others, has a higer PLH and a nice dome. This thing is overstable and doesn't show any turn. Mainly used in headwinds or when I need the disc to get left while still getting good distance.

For reference, I throw Wraiths RHBH on shots between 350' and 400' and live just above sea level.

I'd love to rebuild my driver line up around Wraiths. What's the easiest way to get one with turn without buying Dx?

I'd love to rebuild my driver line up around Wraiths. What's the easiest way to get one with turn without buying Dx?

Normally the answer would be pro wraiths. But, they don't seem to be easy to find these days. If you could locate some star Wraith in the 160s whose conditions are 5-7/10, you should be good to go too.

I've gotten 3 different runs of Star Wraiths over the past year. Each looks the exact same. The first batch of two was from the Black Friday run Infinite had last Fall. The 2nd batch was earlier in the Spring this year from Infinite. The most recent was from a batch Infinite had just this past week. I'm not saying that inevitable mold variation doesn't exist but some of you guys make Innova out to be incompetent with their molding process.

I stopped throwing wraiths circa 2011-2012 because I couldn't find a flat one anymore. All the wraiths all of a sudden had a horrible pop top and flew completely differently than the old pfn flat tops (talk mostly star, here).

IIRC this was because Innova f'd up the mold and had to slap a new top mold piece onto the old mold. Could be wrong on that part, I don't follow discing manufacturing fiascoes as closely as others, but I'll stand by wraiths being a horror show of differences from run to run.

I'm a noodle arm, but my 155g DX wraith is my longest flyer. It's a sensitive to angle for sure. Not something I'd throw with any significant wind.