• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Surge SS

twistedraven

Eagle Member
I searched in this subforum, but don't see a topic for this particular disc. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on it.

I recently ordered one of the recent swirly ESP runs with the Discraft Bar stamp. I have read somewhere that these are supposedly a more overstable run and closer to a regular Surge. My particular sample has very little dome, with a shoulder raise, but an otherwise flat flight plate. What I found most interesting is that Discraft has approached this mold like Innova does with its L molds. The wing is completely flat, much like a TL/3 or a Discraft Undertaker. The PLH however, is high-- like really, really high. It's higher than my regular Star Destroyers and Wraiths, and only a Calvin Halo Destroyer matches it. Rim width as narrow for an 11 speed, measuring in at only 20.95mm. For comparison, the 11 speed Wraith is 21.72mm. This makes the Surge SS more of like a 10.5 speed in my book.

Flight wise, this disc has a beautiful stability. It definitely has some turn to it, but a healthy amount of fade to balance it out. Glide isn't exceptional, and seems rather average. I'd give it a 10.5/5/-1/2. I found the Latitude 64 Grace to have a similar flight pattern, but it pushes out further. Part of that might be due to a larger rim (same width as the Wraith), the other part of that might be due to better glide. I haven't come across any Graces with monstrous domes, but they all have a healthy amount of dome-- more so than this flat Surge SS I have.

I'm wondering if there are some very domey Surge SS's of this same mold out there? I'm enamored with the disc enough to experiment with a couple other samples of it, but at the end of the day, I'm wondering if a Grace is just flat out better at being that slower speed controlled semi-flippy distance driver.

Used to throw Z Surges and Z Surge SS a bunch, all of my 173-174 SS's are very flat and about the stability you're describing, they're one of the closest SS versions from Discraft to the regular disc IMO and some of them are quite beefy for an "SS" line. Once you get under 167g they get pretty flippy, I have a 164-166 I throw as a roller still but other than that all my Surges got replaced by the Scorch, mostly because of the multiple available plastics and how domey it is.

I only have two points:

Don't compare PLH if the discs aren't the same mold - the information gathered is null and void.

5 glide is not average...it's second best on a 6 scale a la 83ish percentile.

PLH fact is more important!!! Glide comment doesn't actually matter. Good luck with your SurgeSS endeavor:thmbup:

I only have two points:

Don't compare PLH if the discs aren't the same mold - the information gathered is null and void.

5 glide is not average...it's second best on a 6 scale a la 83ish percentile.

PLH fact is more important!!! Glide comment doesn't actually matter. Good luck with your SurgeSS endeavor:thmbup:

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get across with your points. I'm not trying to compare the stability of the Surge SS vs other distance drivers and using its unusually high PLH as a basis for that argument. I'm merely making an observation, that the Surge SS is rather unusual in its design, deviating from nearly every other distance driver on the market with a high PLH and a dead flat wing. Most distance drivers have a much lower PLH and a more conventional concaved wing. This is only an observation-- nothing more, nothing less.

Nearly every company lists a glide of 4-6 for their distance drivers, with 5 being the most common. Saying 5 isn't average because it's the 83 percentile on a scale from 1 through 6 is ridiculous. I'll take Innova for example. They have listed 32 listed distance drivers, and of those 32, half have a listed glide rating of 5, while their flippy and glidey marketed distance drivers have a 6, and most of their beefy marketed drivers have a listing of 4. For most distance drivers, 5 will be the most commonly associated glide rating. 4 is reserved for less than glidey beefy bois, and 6 for ultra glidey flippy bois.

All of that aside though, I'd love to hear your thoughts and experience with the Surge SS since you posted in the topic. Is it quite common for these to be flat? How do they fly for you?

How would you compare it to some other slower and flippy distance drivers like the Thrasher etc?

Thrasher is a little flippier than the Scorch or Surge SS.

The Surge SS is exactly what its name states, a less overstable Surge. It isn't really a fancy or exciting disc, but those who like the Surge will probably like the Surge SS as well.

It's kinda like the Teebird vs the TL.

For something understable from Discraft I'd probably just go with the Hades.

The Hades was really nice for me until I broke it in initially after the first month or two. It settled into a really flippy disc. My preferred release angle for power drives is flat, and the Hades just can't handle a flat release without burning over early. That's why I really like the stability of the Surge SS in comparison. I have found the latest ESP runs of the Thrasher to be dependably stable while still having some easy turn, but I don't have one this moment, so I can't do a direct comparison to the Surge SS. I have also found higher speed flippy drivers to be very erratic, and have had better success with ~11 speeds for better control. The Grace and Surge SS have been good, just wondering if there's anything else that's similar.

Surge SS is basically like a Scorch without the severe, dumpy late fade.
You didn't try enough Scorches for long enough if that's the experience you're having. The Great Lakes Cryztal FLX hold a turn for me to 400' no dump, same with my beat-in domey first run, kicked Surges right out same throw 30-40' longer.

You didn't try enough Scorches for long enough if that's the experience you're having. The Great Lakes Cryztal FLX hold a turn for me to 400' no dump, same with my beat-in domey first run, kicked Surges right out same throw 30-40' longer.

I've tried about 6 Scorches. The only one that didn't have a harsh late fade was an ESP test flight model. It was also flippier (and longer) than the rest. Something like -3 turn.

I do agree the Scorch is longer than the Surge. You notice the extra glide right away.

I've tried about 6 Scorches. The only one that didn't have a harsh late fade was an ESP test flight model. It was also flippier (and longer) than the rest. Something like -3 turn.

I do agree the Scorch is longer than the Surge. You notice the extra glide right away.

So you have said multiple times that a lot of Scorches lack any real glide and are quite dumpy, but it's easy to notice their extra glide over a Surge/SS?

So you have said multiple times that a lot of Scorches lack any real glide and are quite dumpy, but it's easy to notice their extra glide over a Surge/SS?
Spin Vs Speed has a lot to do with how some people perceive a disc, it's very possible for two people to be able to throw 65mph but have a variance of 200-300rpm or more in spin RPM, more spin = more turn holding and more gyroscopic stability before the disc falls out of the sky and thus an entirely different flight for two people throwing the same speed.

I've got a PP Surge SS, tried it a few rounds, and it is going to be my roller disc... I can't find a discount that I throw, off the tee, than Cranks... I'm bagging 3 or 4 and going to stop looking at other drivers...

Latest posts