• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

poison ivy............

I haven't had poison ivy in ten years, but I've had two bad cases this summer already. I started wearing soccer socks after the first case I had on my ankles and shins. then I got the **** on my knees and I've started wearing "manpris" (I've got long legs).

I'm gonna check out this tecnu stuff.

Tecnu is the way to go. I use it and never got PI this season *knock on wood*. You are supposed to put it on before you know you might come in contact with the poison ivy, and it doesn't let the oils soak into your skin. I'll still put it on after i play, just to be safe. But beware, because it stinks like hell and will mess up your grip if you don't have water to rinse it off your hands/

I thought it was supposed to cure the sh¡t. I'll keep wearing socks and 75% pants.

It seems like a good idea to include that in the cons list on a review, ive seen a few people do that. Also, i'm sure there are plenty of reviewers who don't even really know what it looks like.

If you don't like poison ivy then dont ever play anna page west in rockford IL. that course had all three forms of the stuff: trailing, climbing, and shrub. i was the only time Ive ever seen all three together. I used to get the stuff 3 or 4 times per summer, but somehow i havent gotten it yet this year.....my leg is starting to itch.

Have you actually seen my poison ivy? Some have begun to call it STPI Menaing sexually transmitted poison ivy for those that couldnt figure it out on their own. Its nasty and it has been with me for like 5 weeks. I still itch but at least it isnt oozing anymore. Trust me it isn't crabs or anything else it is straight up poison ivy, I just think I had an allergic reaction. If I see it I always mention it, and if I get it I downgrade the course 2-3 discs! Just kidding, but it is definitely a con worth mentioning.

Ben can you define shrub poison ivy??? I have never heard of it.

the worst is when the poison ivy is between your fingers :wall: it oozes for EVER

if i get poison ivy i have to be taken to the hospital and given a roid shot or it will be all over my body within a day or two. one time it was covering at least 45% of my body, including the man region

Be careful not to leave it on your skin for too long folks. FYI, this stuff was originally intended to remove radioactive fallout dust from skin (the original formula).

the worst is when the poison ivy is between your fingers :wall: it oozes for EVER

if i get poison ivy i have to be taken to the hospital and given a roid shot or it will be all over my body within a day or two. one time it was covering at least 45% of my body, including the man region

My STPI never reach my man organ, but it got darn close. It was as if stripper had it all over her crotch and she performed a lap dance on my left thigh!!!!!

:doh: you got lucky man...i had to pee on the course and i'm pretty sure that's how it got on there...it was hell. i actually have had it twice on the jewels...not fun

I have been getting poison ivy nearly every summer for the past 20 years. I got it when I was 10 really bad on my face but usually it is a small patch on one arm or leg surrounded by a few small trails of bumps.

Last year I got some on my arm and treated it like normal. Hot showers, cold compress, calamine lotion, benadryl. A few days later my forearm would up swollen about 4 inches large than normal in circumference. I had a sick puss weeping rash from my wrist to my elbow. My wife made me go to the dermitologist. He wound up taking close up detailed pictures of the rash for his new textbook coming out on skin conditions. Next time I get it I am going straight there for some Roids.

media1u.jpg

This was a cel phone pic - 2 days in .....I went to the dermatologist after 4 or so. Went from my wrist to elbow and made my entire arm ridiculously swollen. Was the most miserable experience of my life.

media1u.jpg

This was a cel phone pic - 2 days in .....I went to the dermatologist after 4 or so. Went from my wrist to elbow and made my entire arm ridiculously swollen. Was the most miserable experience of my life.

Roids are the way to go man, especially if it's pretty serious. I've had this poison ivy for the last 6 days and it just got worse and worse. When my manhood finally got inflamed I knew it was time to visit the doctor. The itching has now gone away in just 12 hours, but roids definitely make you irritated and moody. I got them in a cream and a pill version.

@Agent Peebody - in between fingers is the worst!!!! I have one little ass spot and it itches the most out of any other place I have it. Sometimes it even hurts, like if someone gave you a paper cut right on the webbing of the hand. This is not fun, screw looking for discs anymore...unless it's in the water.

I am going on week two of poison ivy... and lucky this is the first time where I have not had to get steroids to cure it. I would recommend washing your disc and bag after playing. My legs and arms have pretty much healed, but my fingers started to break out bad again. The bag and disc are the only things which had not been washed yet..

On the plus side the poison ivy makes all the mosquito bites seem like nothing.

Not to brag, but Im completely immune to poison ivy. :)

I offer to retrieve discs for my friends if they dont want to get it from a huge patch of poison ivy usually.

Not to brag, but Im completely immune to poison ivy. :)

I offer to retrieve discs for my friends if they dont want to get it from a huge patch of poison ivy usually.

I used to think the same thing and would always go after someone's disc that got into the stuff and wash it off for them......
Then one day I broke out all over my legs, it was the worst itch I have ever had. :thmbdown: I looked some stuff up about it after my experience and found out that few people are truly immune to it, even people that have been exposed to it but not broke out yet. I now am very careful when I am around the plant. If I were you, I wouldn't push my luck much more.

Im not worried lol

I have been known to pick some and rub it on arms to show that it has no effect on me. After 27 years, with constant exposure to it, im confident I wont ever get it.

Did I mention that both my parents were also immune? :p My dad is in his 70's, and has never had it even though he was very active outdoors.

Here in Georgia, we have all three poison plants: Ivy, Oak, and Sumac. I got into some Sumac a few years back and it was hell. Nothing seemed to work. I took steroids and used whatever topical solutions that I could find.

I don't know which was worse, the poison sumac or the time I got into a bunch of chiggers. I literally had over 25 chigger bites on one leg and about 10-15 on the other. Those bites itch for 1-2 weeks before they slowly fade away. Even if you don't scratch them, the bites will sometimes leave permanent marks.

Quite a few local courses have poison ivy or oak, so I always try to be careful. If I get into some and there is a creek or pond nearby, I will wash off my legs, hands and any discs that may have come into contact with the stuff. If I don't have access to a creek or pond, I will sacrifice some of my drinking water.

i just got over having that all over my legs i went and got steroids and it still took two weeks to cure and i got it from throwing my disc in a practice field and still couldn't find the disc but found the poison ivy. :(

Tip from the Pro:

You can go to a doc at anytime, drop your copay, tell him/her that you are deathly allergic to urushiol and related poison oils - tell em' to stock you up with a prescription that you may fill whenever you like (it is in their best interest, remind them they would rather see you now than when it is in your eyes or other painful areas).

Carry a z-pack in your bag - pop a couple if you feel like you have come in contact with the stuff. Carry Tecnu on your person, lather up post round and be sure to wash off within a few hours (see previous post re: the original intention of Tecnu). Remember to use Tecnu on any and everything that may have come in contact with the PI, or that you may have inadvertently touched after coming in contact with PI.

If already infected, I recommend continuing to use Tecnu as a body wash as it will continue to remove the oils oozing out onto your skin. Zanfel is good for when you just have to scratch (don't actually scratch, allow the exfoliates to do their job). While in the shower, expose the areas to the HOTTEST water possible, not the hottest you can stand, the hottest POSSIBLE - crank the water heater up if necessary. Outside of the shower, when you get that itch, grab some ice cubes and rub on the infected area.

I haven't had a PI infection in quite some time. Call me sick, call me demented - but I sometimes miss the sensation of scalding hot water on the infected areas... Feels sofa king good.

Last edited:

Latest posts