• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

Their best attempt at the same mold. Similar to what Legacy did with the Rival trying to recreate the Teebird mold.

I mean they literally have CAD files that are the exact same.. but a new "tool". Any tweaks to accommodate a different blend of plastic have to be incredibly subtle. It's not at all similar to the rival and teebird.

I got one of the new C-Line PDs and I really like it so far after 2 rounds. Really reliable for placement shots that need to get out there. I feel like I get a really clean predictable release with it.

I mean they literally have CAD files that are the exact same.. but a new "tool". Any tweaks to accommodate a different blend of plastic have to be incredibly subtle. It's not at all similar to the rival and teebird.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

So y'all are saying the molds are exactly the same? Until DM proves it with wildly inconsistent molding from different runs, I'll remain skeptical.

Reinventing a thread for the new DM version is still a good idea, IMO. One of you Discmaniacs get on this ASAP.

So y'all are saying the molds are exactly the same? Until DM proves it with wildly inconsistent molding from different runs, I'll remain skeptical.

Reinventing a thread for the new DM version is still a good idea, IMO. One of you Discmaniacs get on this ASAP.

No, I agree with you, I was being glib. Its a quote from mythbusters =)

You need to understand plastics better. Essentially creating the same mold is the easy part... The tool is created based on the same CAD files, unless they chose to edit them. Molding up new plastic (in this case italian gucci ferarri) in the same mold and having it cool and set consistently is the hard part. Innova has wildly inconsistent discs, as do many other manufacturers. Not every disc can be exactly the same each time.. that being said the new cloud breakers are extremely consistent. Sometimes its nice to have the variety as well, so there are pros and cons to inconsistency. I have a range of different PD's from the innova days so im not sure why you are choosing to get hung up on consistency with discmania.

Last edited:
You need to understand plastics better. Essentially creating the same mold is the easy part... The tool is created based on the same CAD files, unless they chose to edit them. Molding up new plastic (in this case italian gucci ferarri) in the same mold and having it cool and set consistently is the hard part. Innova has wildly inconsistent discs, as do many other manufacturers. Not every disc can be exactly the same each time.. that being said the new cloud breakers are extremely consistent. Sometimes its nice to have the variety as well, so there are pros and cons to inconsistency. I have a range of different PD's from the innova days so im not sure why you are choosing to get hung up on consistency with discmania.

I was being kinda facetious but it's sometimes nice to have some variation from different runs. I'll let other folks nerd out over CAD files and plastic cooling. I didn't love the plastic on the one gucci ferarri I grabbed so I'll stick with what I know.

I have an unthrown CPD that I think is the 3rd run. It's kind of pearly and the timeframe fits. I've asked several people who claim to be knowledgeable about such things. A couple swore that it was, a couple others didn't think so. Wish companies were better at documenting that on a disc.

I have an unthrown CPD that I think is the 3rd run. It's kind of pearly and the timeframe fits. I've asked several people who claim to be knowledgeable about such things. A couple swore that it was, a couple others didn't think so. Wish companies were better at documenting that on a disc.

I just got my first RPM disc and love how they tool the manufacture month and year on a disc. No matter how much wear and tear this disc gets, you'll know what run it is.

Attachments

• 20220913_212023.jpg
    20220913_212023.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 34
Where are we getting the CAD duplication information from? I have a hard time imagining Innova releasing that to a competitor.

something tells me if discmania is still allowed to produce them.. they have the CAD :)

something tells me if discmania is still allowed to produce them.. they have the CAD :)

Since Discmania didn't own the molds I doubt they were given access to anything to do with molds.

Fortunately for them, reverse engineering things in this day and age isn't terribly difficult so I'm sure they just gave Tomas a few original PDs and asked him to design the mold for the new ones.

All total speculation on my part.

yeah easy enough to remake, but anyways.. how are the recent runs of the phantom sword from the proshop?

looking at my innova molded pd side by side with the new made in sweden pd... the wing looks identical.

The only difference I can see is the new one feels taller/maybe just a higher dome. The wing so super close.

Finally got a champ phantom sword, unfortunately not as grippy as the jolly or Italian c-line runs but otherwise seems good.

Latest posts