• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Plastic Warping

markarchibald

Has anyone else experienced warping in the flight plate on Prodigy drivers? I have a D2 and a D3 (both 400s), and they now both have some warping in the flight plate after a couple of months' use. I like them otherwise. Maybe the 400g plastic is more durable???

Its hot in Memphis and I occasionally leave my backup drivers in the car for some field work after the round.

:arrow: I can report no issues.

Oh, I've definitely hit trees and had some pretty hot temps, but I haven't had this problem with my other non-Prodigy drivers, e.g. a Champion Boss and a Pro Destroyer. They've hit way more trees and had more temp extremes than my Prodigy drivers which are only a couple of months old.

Fightingthetide said:
I've seen a ton of this with their discs on the shelf...which is why I've never picked any up.

Same. The ones with super dome at the Majestic all had some warping issues and looked like factory seconds. I've only bought an M4 which is super flat, so no issues personally.

All of the discs at my local store have been fine. It is troubling that an entire set has been warped. Manufacturing, improper freight, false handling (sun, disc orientation) while the discs were in the racks?

I think I know what's going on. The Prodigy drivers have very thin flightplates and they don't have any of those little stickers on the discs during shipping to prevent suction. Suction can cause sunken/warped domes.

I have a D4 that has a dent where I put my thumb. It reminds me of an old sss wizard in the flight plate. On the bright side, it still flies great.

Marchibald - this is different. A lot of Prodigy plastic has been arriving in stores already warped.

Softer Wizards, or any soft plastic, is gonna warp if you hit a tree.

I attributed this to the general low quality of Prodigy plastic. It seems that every one of their discs I've picked up look funky and/or unpolished. I am borrowing a friends D3 right now and it seems like the top of the mold had 3 or 4 "steps". It also has a really crummy stamp job, the plastic doesn't look or feel even, and there's a huge flash on the rim, and on the "nipple". That's not including the fact that the plastic feels like play dough at times.

Funny, all the Prodigy plastic we got for testing felt and looked top notch. =/

jubuttib said:

That is funny. Maybe it's because most of the plastic I've seen/held/thrown was proto and 1st run stuff...but even then, it seemed incredibly odd to see such a highly anticipated manufacturer produce such low quality plastic in terms of aesthetics.

Granted, I'm sure they all flew fine - which is what really matters - but in a consumer-driven society, looks matter. There's a reason why grocery stores throw out tons of perfectly good produce that has minor aesthetic flaws...people don't want to buy it.

Fightingthetide said:
jubuttib said:

That is funny. Maybe it's because most of the plastic I've seen/held/thrown was proto and 1st run stuff...but even then, it seemed incredibly odd to see such a highly anticipated manufacturer produce such low quality plastic in terms of aesthetics.

Granted, I'm sure they all flew fine - which is what really matters - but in a consumer-driven society, looks matter. There's a reason why grocery stores throw out tons of perfectly good produce that has minor aesthetic flaws...people don't want to buy it.
Even more odd, because all of the Prodigy plastic I've seen has been proto or 1st run (mainly proto)... =/

Latest posts