• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putt Percentages Question

wonderflex

When I check out the PDGA Player Classification Page it says,

"Advanced - the top amateur division, available to all amateur players. Required division for male amateur players under 40 years of age with ratings >= 935. Tournament experienced players who have played disc golf for several years, and developed consistency. Throw 300-450 feet, make 5-7/10 putts from 25-30 feet, have different shots in their arsenal."

When they say 5-7/10 puts from 25-30 feet do they mean 5-7 puts with a clear line of site, or does the allowance of missing between 5 and 3 account for the five that might be behind solid obstruction/wall o' trees without any chance of making it?

I'm still fairly new to things and I'm making 8-9/10 puts at 25 feet in my Costco basket at home, but those are just straight shots in a yard with the only variation being wind. I can't imagine that is what they are measuring up against when they say 5-7.

If you can hit 8-9/10 putts in the 25-30' range then you'll do real well I think. Lots of players in that rating range will shank occasional 20'ers every round, for no reason of obstructions. Even top pro's miss 20-25'ers sometimes, but they also expect to make the 30-40'ers a lot.

If you have decent upshots within 200' and can putt that well inside the circle then you'll do fine against a lot of players. It depends on who you're playing against, but a lot of the time it can be "make the least mistakes" to win or do pretty well rather than birdie everything off the tee.

A couple things that are different in a round is you're not drilling putt after putt from the same spot. Mark spots at different distances around the basket and only attempt one putt from each location as you move around. It's hard to simulate game pressure but some players have different ways to simulate that with personal incentives for sya how many made putts before you can stop putting practice.

A couple things that are different in a round is you're not drilling putt after putt from the same spot. Mark spots at different distances around the basket and only attempt one putt from each location as you move around. It's hard to simulate game pressure but some players have different ways to simulate that with personal incentives for sya how many made putts before you can stop putting practice.

Good idea. I also have a stilted tree house and a few trees in the yard, so thought about putting the basket around there so I had to practice going around obstacles.

I also need to start trying for longer putts. At 30 feet the drop off is sharp, and I only make about 3/10, which is so crazy because it is only five feet. Man does it seem like a long five feet though.

Ggk's advice is excellent. And so is your idea of placing the basket near obstacles.

My advice: put your basket IN your treehouse. Kidding, of course!

But I will add to factor in elevation in your practice if possible- baskets that are above your lie and below. Even 1-2' from level can make a big difference, all the way to extremes like elevated baskets. Not to mention knowing what can happen to a missed putt on a severe slope...

How the heck do you calculate percentage of putts made?

I'm actually curious.

It's only been two weeks since I decided to get serious about disc golf, but here is how I do it:

1. Setup:

1a. Put a basket in my backyard.
1b. Measured out 10, 15, 20, 25,30,35 ft and put a marker at each spot
1c. Mowed my grass extra short along the center line and around the basket

2. Routine:

2a. Grab five putters
2b. Stand at 10ft marker, throw all five.
2c. Mark missed on paper that has distance and disc listed (N)
2d. Collect and repeat at 10 ft.
2e. Repeat steps 2b-2d at 20, 15, 25, 30. This completes one cycle.
2f. Repeat for an additional four cycles, each with a left/right deviation from the center line. (ie. 50 total putts at each distance, 10 per disc)

3. Calculation:

3a. In Excel make a spreadsheet with A1 as the distance header, B1:F1 as the disc titles and
G1 as the total column by distance.
3b. In Column A make a row for each distance.
3c. Fill in the number of completed putts (50-N) for each disc and distance.
3d. Take total made for the distance and divide by 5. This is your numerator. 10 is your denominator. This will be your distance stat.
3e. Make row 7 be your total column by disc. Take the total made for the disc and divide by 5. This your numerator. 10 is your denominator. This will be your disc stat.

Steps 3d and 3e are good for single sessions, but I prefer to keep a running total with the date included and then use a pivot chart instead so I can see my progression over time and run stats on the the different discs and throws.

My biggest problem all around with this though is that I have been trying to figure out which putter I like best, so currently my five putters being thrown are all different. I have a champion dart, an r-pro dart, a champion aviar, a star aviar, and a dx birdie. Now that my numbers are starting to show a winner I think I will need to purchase multiples of that one and start tracking all over again.

My putting sucks but I feel I have improved noticably (at least to me) since the end of February. In February I could nail 15 footers all day but at 20 ft I might as well have been on the friggin tee I wasn't making hardly anything. I started putting from about 25 until I was catching metal most of the time then when I moved up to 20 ft it felt like I was throwing it in an ocean. I'm not nailing them like I do from 15 but now I think I am minimally decent in the 20-25 range. I think saying someone in advanced only hitting 50-75% from that range is a bit low.

I would say most advanced players can throw around 400 and make 75-80% inside the circle. The biggest thing that keeps them from being pro is they are going to totally blow a shot every couple holes. The pro is a bit more consistent and better at 40+ ft, but don't kid yourself the advanced guys are pretty good and if they have a "hot day" they are capable of doing pretty well in an open division.

There is an android app for putting that shows your percentages from all distances. Mine drops significantly at 30 feet. I've always been told if you can conquer all 25 feet and less, not to worry too much about those 35+ ones. Make the ones you're supposed to make and take a few you're not.

Pure Putt 11 is the app, and honestly, I did design it. It offers 4 different game types or can be used just to record your attempts.

Words from The Champ Ken Climo...

Here are some general putting goals I've set up for any player: 15 footers – you need to hit every one. 20 footers you need to hit 80%. 25 footers – you need to hit more than half. And try and make at least half of your 30 footers. Make anything outside 30 feet and it's a bonus whether you're a pro or an am.

There is an android app for putting that shows your percentages from all distances. Mine drops significantly at 30 feet. I've always been told if you can conquer all 25 feet and less, not to worry too much about those 35+ ones. Make the ones you're supposed to make and take a few you're not.

Pure Putt 11 is the app, and honestly, I did design it. It offers 4 different game types or can be used just to record your attempts.

Does your app let you track the disc used and can the data be expoted? I do LEAN/Toyota Production System process improvement and I'm a really data focused person. It would be nice if it could be exported to run some analytics on.

I haven't been incorporating any 35 ft putts, but I figure that my 25 ft numbers are doing so well I might as well start working on increasing the number of 30 ft puts I practice and if the numbers increase I can then step it back to 35 ft and 40 ft.

Having a basket at home has been the real winner here. I've only been doing the very focused putting practice for a week, but the ability to put in 250 putts a night has been awesome. Sucks because it's still rainy where I live, but still quite enjoyable to be able to play daily.

Does your app let you track the disc used and can the data be exported? I do LEAN/Toyota Production System process improvement and I'm a really data focused person. It would be nice if it could be exported to run some analytics on.

It does export all data so it can be manipulated in a spreadsheet if desired.
Rounds are named so, I assume you could name rounds according to disc used in order to gauge discs.

I've gotten where I don't even attempt 35+ as I still gotta lot of work to do with anything less! My percentages drop soemwhere between 20 & 25 feet.

Screenshot_stats.jpg