• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Softness

I feel more confident putting when I know the disc will stick where it lands. Soft putters, in my case a SSS Wizard and Blowfly, lose speed with the mildest contact.

Putting is largely about confidence. If you adopt an intelligent putting strategy you won't get a ton of splash outs, cut throughs, or blow bys regardless of what kind of putter you use. Putting too hard is usually a good way to splash out or cut through, regardless of what kind of putter you choose.

I like to use a regular magnet, my fingers spring off of it more consistently than a soft magnet, although I still like soft magnets.

for me, I like harder putters because of consistency. If its really hot one day, it still feels the same

Is 'Grippy' a word?

If softness relates to grip-ability (as in gripping the chains as they fly past): The key word here is grip. Either the disc has it or it does not. In my mind, those with grip should stick better than those w/o :)
*I use a SS Wizard now instead of a DX Aviar.

If softness relates to grip-ability (as in gripping the chains as they fly past): The key word here is grip. Either the disc has it or it does not. In my mind, those with grip should stick better than those w/o :)

I agree that grippier plastic will stick to the basket more than other plastics. The issue is that the extra grip will cause your disc to have more side to side movement because it's spin is more easily transferred to the chains.

I used to think the same thing for a long time until I tried a medium Wizard for kicks. I couldn't believe how it gripped the chains on bad putts in practice. I still putt with my OG SSS (still very firm) because of my confidence with the disc, not the plastic. The more practice I put in with the medium, the better it has been getting. Another couple years of practice and it just might season to perfection.

I wasn't very productive at work cause I was doing some research on inelastic colisions, impact of spinning discs, and sound energy. Turns out to be very complicated - disc deformation, static friction vs dynamic friction, moments of inertia, energy transfer to nonrigid bodies, etc. For those of us that are scientificly inclined it's facinating. Found an interesting 26 page paper on the impact of spinning discs on stationary surfaces if anyone's interested. Looks like a great topic to some graduate level study - think Innova or Discraft would sponsor it?

For what it's worth I never meant to "argue" with JHern. Just wanted to bring up some other points. As an engineer, myself, it's part of what I do with everything.

I'm still going to stick with my emperical evidence that a grippy flexible putter works best for me. As some have said putting is more confidence than science.

i like dx a lot more than soft putters. I recently tried the sss voodoo and my dx dart seems to grab the chains better. But hey that's just my experience.

I started using SS Voodoos and SSS Voodoos but switched to Gummy HPP. I think it just feels better in hand which makes me a more confident putter.

Latest posts