• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Practice

jenb

* Ace Member *
I'm sick of being a crappy putter, and I started trying to expand my practice to include longer puts. Instead of recording how many of 100 putts I sank at 15 feet, I made myself sink 27 putts at 5 meters, 9 putts at 10 meters, and 3 putts at 15 meters. It took FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEVER. I'm so tired.

I found I had to transition to more of a Feldberg style pitch putt at 15 meters to get any chance of sinking one at that range, but I can't imagine that style working well in significant wind. Anyway ...

What is an effective and proven daily routine to become a real putting machine? How many styles do I need to master to be able to handle various ranges in various conditions? What styles make a good combination, and which overlap?

Thanks.

I just start out warming up about 10 ft. out then keep moving out till about 20-25 ft. and just putt from that distance. It's not about how far you can make putts it's about how consistently you can make your putts. I usually practice between 20-30 minutes any longer than that i loose concentration. I use to be a horrible putter since i started doing this i hit most of my 20 footers. I usually only practice my normal putting style and my straddle putts. I occasionally do a handful of turbo putts just in case i have to use it. Hope this helps

just do the mark ellis putting confidence video thing, and then maybe work on some jump/long putts so you know what to do in those situations, even if you don't sink them a lot.

I always disagree telling a new player to practice jump putting, it's not needed, could be illegal if you don't do it right and makes your aim lousy.
Others will disagree but it's still a dumb thing to do much less practice. There are better ways to be more accurate and consistent without jumping from any distance.

The main reason I am trying to incorporate jump putting practice is becasue Feldberg says that the motion inside the circel is the same as outside, just less of it. But the stuff that I have been doing inside the circel doesn't even come close to working outside the circle. So I am trying to find that motion that works for jump putting and for inside the circle.

I always disagree telling a new player to practice jump putting, it's not needed, could be illegal if you don't do it right and makes your aim lousy.
Others will disagree but it's still a dumb thing to do much less practice. There are better ways to be more accurate and consistent without jumping from any distance.

If there are better ways how come people like Climo jump putt? If it really is dumb, I don't see why successful pros would do it. It's gotta do something

What jump putting essentially does is take your stroke that you use for close putts and extends your range via a more powerful weight shift. Same putting motion for up close, but with more power behind it.

I do agree that it is not the best idea for new players to practice it, but they should be aware of what it is and what it does.

It also depends on the style of putt you use, mainly whether or not your shoulders are parallel or perpendicular to the basket.

I won a basket in a raffle about a month ago, and have since DRAMATICALLY improved my putting...
What I do is pretty simple.
I start out around 20ft, just to get loose maybe 10 putts...Putting out any misses
then I go all the way out to 30ft+ (sometimes out to 100, but typically 50ish), to work on pitch putts... and I putt out if I miss for about 10 minutes mixing inhyzers and anhyzers to break up the monotony. Trying to make the long ones, not just laying up.

when I first started this, my misses could get out to around 20+...and I did a lot of "3 putting"
Now I'm pretty consistent on getting the disc inside of 20ft which has now become my "butter zone"

I then repeat the process with straddle putts (for awkward lies when I cant use my pitch putt stance).

Grand total... around a half hour...sometimes longer if I get into trying some trick shots... sometimes shorter if I'm having a bad day.
I try and keep it fun.

Last edited:
The main reason I am trying to incorporate jump putting practice is becasue Feldberg says that the motion inside the circel is the same as outside, just less of it. But the stuff that I have been doing inside the circel doesn't even come close to working outside the circle. So I am trying to find that motion that works for jump putting and for inside the circle.

I don't think that is quite right. I think he said that he is comfortable push putting out to 40, and after that he switches styles to a spin putt. He will also do jump putts and walking putts with the spin putt.

My practice usually incorporates combining approaching and putting at the same time. I usually start around 100 feet out and try to take runs at the basket. During this practice I am looking for the combination of power, aim, spin, nose angle, etc where I can take a run at the basket but still land close if I miss, not dramatic blow-bys. From there I putt in the misses. The theory is that this best represents what putting will be like in real situations. Taking a stack of putters to 30 feet does not help past the third or fourth putter because by then you have already zeroed in on the necessary power and accomodations for wind. By playing where you land from your approach, you really do not have a grasp of the actual distance and must rely on instinctual distance like how you would on the course.

Is this the best style of practice? Probably not because it does not dial in the repetitive motion necessary to become better, but I have talked myself in to believing it is a good form of practice because it simulates a real approach and putt. My overall putting has not actually got any better from this practice, but my approaches are right on and easily the best part of my game. Sometimes I feel I am more accurate from 80-100 feet out than I am at 40-45. The amount of pars where I used to get bogeys has dramatically increased, and now in most cases I am getting those bogeys because of the bad close putts and not from missing a long put to save par.

However, I do make sure I get in my fair share of practice in the 25-30 foot range, of just taking that stack of putters and working on form. Hopefully someday I will be better.

There's no "proven" method to becoming a good putter. The best advice is to make sure your practice putting confers benefits to your round scores. It doesn't matter if you can sink 100 putts in a row from 10m during practice, if you miss 20 footers during rounds.

You either need to focus on nailing down the precise mechanics, a scientific approach like Feldberg preaches, and then work on your mental game, or just putt based on "feel" and play more tournaments until you're able to hit clutch putts during rounds.

What is your specific problem? Flutter in your putts? Missing right?

you need to find a routine that works for you, and get comfortable with it. what other people do may or may not be beneficial.

the most important thing is never taking the same putt twice. standing in the same place and trying to hit X putts in a row is not beneficial in the long run. the most crucial part of good, consistent putting is the routine. even if you only move around 3-4' at a time, you are forced to reset your feet/balance/focus/etc and this reinforces the routine. that routine allows you to hit the 'gimme putts' (whatever they are for you), and extends itself to better confidence/percentages on longer putts outside of that range.

I've really been struggling with putting. It's the worst part of my game by far. I've had some lessons from a few pros, and a crash session with a whole bunch of guys giving me tips, including a certain world champ's dad. I think I've finally settled on a spin putt technique that is comfortable and is working a lot better than before, and I just need to practice that. But what I'm really struggling with now is generating power to straddle putt from 30+ feet. A lot of the pros have seemed to suggest that it's unrealistic for me to expect that I should be able to putt from that far at all, much less straddle putt. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to get the disc going that far with small enough effort that I'm not killing my accuracy.

I've really been struggling with putting. It's the worst part of my game by far. I've had some lessons from a few pros, and a crash session with a whole bunch of guys giving me tips, including a certain world champ's dad. I think I've finally settled on a spin putt technique that is comfortable and is working a lot better than before, and I just need to practice that. But what I'm really struggling with now is generating power to straddle putt from 30+ feet. A lot of the pros have seemed to suggest that it's unrealistic for me to expect that I should be able to putt from that far at all, much less straddle putt. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to get the disc going that far with small enough effort that I'm not killing my accuracy.

Practice the weight shift--rock back to your heels and then up on your toes, and build leg muscles to be able to do it without straining. Repetition is the best thing for this

30+

I've been straddle putting for almost all my putts. But at some distance it becomes ineffective. I either loft it with some hyzer or shank it short. So when I drop the straddle and go with a staggered stance and almost walk into the putt I do much better. I lose the big hyzer and drill a line right at the chains. I would suggest either a jump putt, or a walking technique to get more body into it. Play around until you find what works for you.

I putt the same way from 5 ft to 50 ft. It's all in the weight shift and finger spring. Finger spring is key for distance on a pitch putt and takes practice to get the timing and feel right. If you can get a strong finger spring, 35 ft putts should be standstills rather than jumpers. Good finger spring is basically the ability to spin the disc without using your wrist to spin it.

What everyone has said is very good advice. I would add that in addition to a spin or push putt you really need to be able to putt from a straddle position because of obstacles on the course.

If you're having a struggle with the change I distance with your pitch putt straddle, it could be about the feet position and shifting your weight in sync, (or in rhythm). If you can pitch from 15 feet(5m) you should be able to do so similarly from up to about 35. If I see you at a near future tourney, I can show you what I mean.

On the spin putt, refer to The McCabe Minute video. It might have a tip to help.

I watched a video someone here posted about "pulling up the pole" to take aim and watched vids from there. Basically, start with your throwing arm low and in line with the pole of the basket. Pull upward along the pole while kind of tossing the disc with your wrist. Use more oomph the farther out you are.

After just a few practice putts, my putting improved. It feels like a good way to putt.

Ok. I will check out those vids. I've been trying to spin straddle putt from outside the circle, and I can get it there, but it takes so much effort that it's hard to even make a good run at it. My accuracy really suffers. Anything to help make it effortless would be really helpful.

Latest posts