• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting, why you are sooo hard?

Thormiz

Okay, so I accidently closed novel I wrote before... :doh:

Anyway I spend ALOT time at putting range, it's my 2nd summer playing. I'm my local club I'm becoming launghing stock because I suck so much at putting and because everyone sees how much I spend time to trying improve my putting. There's no improvement in sight. Putting just feels so akward and unnatural for me, no matter what kind of style I try, even gripping is like oh my gosh wtf I'm doing. I mean it bothers me so much and I have lost all confidence when I have to make even a 10 feet putt. It really hurts when you try to practice alot and people just laugh at you because you suck so badly. I'm propably top5 bottom in our local club and other in same category with me play super drunk or they play twice in summer. :(

Maybe I should just give up and focus on driving and approach shots so I only have to lift disc in basket.

Here's video from todays practice session with 100%, 50% and 25% speed. Any feedback and tips are welcome. Today I focused on release angle and felt that my putting improved a bit.

Last edited:
Practice how you play in league/tournaments. During rounds, do you putt with 3 or 4 discs in your off hand? If not, then leave the other putters at your feet and pick up one at a time. Also during rounds, do not think about the mechanics of the putt. Just toss the disc into the chains. Save the mechanics breakdown for practice, create that muscle memory, and just toss the disc into the chains.

I noticed your first putt was preceded by a few arm swings. Thats fine, whatever gets you ready mentally. But you did not do the same for the rest of the putts. Inconsistent practice breeds inconsistent results.

How far are you from the basket whil practicing? Move closer and practice making putts. Build confidence. Good putters are confident, poor putters are not. Make 10 5ft putts in a row. But putt each one like it is for birdie. Back up to 10ft and repeat. Don't go any farther back than you can make.

Regarding your form, I don't see anything glaringly obvious that would scream bad form.

But there are a few things.

1. You don't look solid on your feet. At a clinic I attended w/ JohnE McCray he made a point of saying that he shouldn't be able to push your shoulder and knock you off your stance.

2. I can't see where your putts are missing (high/low or left/right) - but you want your arm to be hinging up and down the pole. Keep the whole system as quiet as possible, just the minimum amount of movement.

3. Your release is lacking follow through. McCray also talked about wanting to end up with your putting shoulder up by your chin with your hand open and fingers all pointing at the basket and your back leg kicking out while up on those front toes.

4. Putt just 2 discs max before resetting. Getting good at putting multiples in a row is fine for warming up and getting your groove going, but in practice - you want to recreate the act of stepping up to your lie and assessing the basket. I was getting very good at adjusting my first few misses and then hitting the next 5 putts, but in a game you don't get any warm up shots to adjust from.

5. I have started doing this before my putts and it's helping. Aim to put the disc right through a link in the chain. Visualize the disc flying through that link. I want to mentally see the flight of the disc including hitting that exact spot.

6. Get up on the balls of your feet. Being flat footed leads to a higher release.

7. Another trick I've been doing is popping the disc one time at my intended release point before I putt. It reinforces the spot where I want to be letting go. I miss high quite often because I get a little nervous and hold the disc for just a touch too long, so this has helped.

8. Tell yourself that you are an amazing putter. "This is going in dead center." Even if you aren't hitting a percentage that you feel you should, you have to change the way you feel about it. If you think it's hard, it will be hard. If you can take your time, relax and breath deeply, get your center of gravity out of your head and throw the putt with confidence - you're increasing your chances of putting it in.

EVERYBODY misses putts. It doesn't mean that putting is hard. Putting is easy (that's what you have to believe) and once it leaves your hand your job is done. If you do everything you can to give the disc it's best chance at going in, then your job is done. Good work.

Spit out? Not your problem, you did your job. Miss the bucket? Not your problem, you did everything in your power right? Pre-putt routine, cleared you head, visualized it, took your time and breathed deeply.

Thanks for good tips, have to keep in mind about using only 2 putter per spot and doing same routine everytime I step to putt. For balance I feel like I have naturally really poor balance and it shows when putting and even driving even if there's slighest slope on ground. For missing, well sometimes I'm all over a place but today I was mostly over. I felt like I somewhat got right form at the end (during recording) of my session. Today I even went from straddle, to pinch, to spin, to hyzerputt to where I finished in video. Yesterday one of dudes in local club was making so much of fun me during a round that I couldn't even bury 16 footers anymore in the end. So today I went only to puttpractice, left drivers and midranges to home. It's just so desperate feeling when there's no style that feels natural and your putts are all over the place but like I said in the end I felt that I got the form I felt most comfortable with, hope it stays same in future :)

If somebody was making fun of me to the point of distraction I'd probably tell him to shut his face. I have a very good natured attitude with one of my regular partners and we'll joke about how the other person is terrible, but we're both laughing about it and we are also pulling for each other to do well.

When I did the 30 days of putting (which I blogged about here) - I went way down the path with straddle putting before switching back to a forward foot stance. It took quite a bit of trial and error to realize what was going to work better for me.

When I went back to forward foot putting (whatever that's called) - nothing about it felt natural. It took daily sessions of 30 minutes, putting where I was making it consistently, to develop a sense of comfort and "feeling right".

Like most people new to disc golf, I wanted a shortcut to being a better putter. I watched every youtube video I could find about spin putts, pitch / push putts, read the forums, and thought - "that's it, I'll do that and I'll be more consistent!" and I still sucked. For me, and I wouldn't say this is true for everybody, but it's very true for me, the only thing that fixed my putting was doing it over and over and over.

This is as true now as is was 6 months ago when I finished up the program.

Okay, I'm certainly not an expert, and probably not qualified to give advice, but you seem desperate. And now I really want you to excel at putting and rub it in the jerk's face who keeps talking to you about it. That guy sounds really fun.

So, generally, it's a bad idea to be moving sideways when you're aiming at a target. It appears that your weight shift, instead of pushing you/the disc forward, is taking slightly sideways. If you can square your hips up to the basket, and find a way to do so comfortably, that should probably help propel you more forward and make your balance a bit better.
It also looks like you're bringing the disc back and coming off the line, which then forces you to compensate on your forward swing and hit a very precise point of release in order for the disc to go in. If you can maintain that straight swing back/forward, then you increase your margin of error at release (relative to distance.)
Hopefully, this makes sense and is helpful.

Also, the other posters above me made very great points. I think, more than anything, putting success is mostly mental. If you're thinking about a putt not going in, or going in, then you're thinking incorrectly. It should be a foregone conclusion that the putt is going in. Focus entirely on your target during the putt, nothing else. If you're not distracted and focusing on your target, your body knows how to get the disc to it.

Learn to utilize your wrist and finger pop accurately.

Sit down and putt at the ceiling. You should be able to aim the disc straight up and catch it when it comes straight down. This excercise accentuates your release angle, wrist and finger pop.

This is something like Michael Johansen does.

Second, try lots of putting styles, but pick one and stick to it.

Last, something looks funny about your release point. It almost looks like you are throwing the disc sideways/laterally. Try to "paint the pole" with you arm movement. That is keep your arm and wrist in perfect parallel with the basket pole.

Last edited:
Self doubt is the largest obstacle any player has to overcome.

You are what you think you are. (You have pretty good form. You should be a good putter.)

You have to convince yourself that you're very good at putting. This is a mental game.

If someone is making fun of you, you should practice putting at his face. Aim for his left nostril (hint: it's the one on the right). That's the "pro side."

Like you sir I also considered myself the worlds wost putter. I feel what made the difference for me was switching the disc type I use. My Wife and I both now use low profile putt & approach discs rather than wide putters. See my rant title "I hate putters".

These days I putt with a Skeeter. My wife thanks me for getting her to switch from an Aviar to a XD.

Here is Innova's description of both.

About the XD: The XD has a low profile, thin rim which promotes a secure grip and an easy, natural release. These features combined with straight flight characteristics make the XD an easy to throw and control disc. It is the most driver-like putter we have and is useful for putts, drives and approach shots. Good disc for developing a "touch" around the basket.

The Skeeter is a small diameter Mid-Range disc with a straight flight and slight, but dependable fade. This disc is one of the best discs we make that putts, approaches, and drives dependably and accurately. Ideal for all skill levels.

Like I wrote yesterday, in the end of Day I felt like I was getting some progress. Well today I was Back where I started. My mind was blank "what was my gripp, what was my stance". I simply forgot everything I did right yesterday and its frustrating to say atleast. Well its just Day but been like this for year...

I might be wrong but in the video it sounded like you were hitting chains. You can putt. Those mechanics came from your practice. The next hurdle is to develop the ability to shut down your brain WHILE you are putting. You have a great opportunity ... how many people could zone out while others are laughing at them? Think of the putting league as mental practice instead of a place to show off your mechanics. Success equals no, or fewer, brain cramps and negative thoughts. When you couple the putting mechanics with a quiet brain, you'll be deadly ... as long as you don't think about it. :)

Self doubt is the largest obstacle any player has to overcome.
You are what you think you are. (You have pretty good form. You should be a good putter.)
You have to convince yourself that you're very good at putting. This is a mental game.

Yeah. Pretty much what Eegor said. :thmbup:

Last edited:
Yeah I realise that mental aspect is big part of game and putting especially and I really suck on that part, its just so hard to get confidence back after losing that long time ago :)

It looks to me like you have a pitch-putt arm motion with a spin-putt wrist motion. Both have to be working toward the same goal. With your motion right now your wrist is determining where the disc will go left and right but if you're timing is off by the smallest amount (especially past 10-15') it can be next to impossible to make anything.

If I start to worry about missing I'll start locking my arm to try and control the disc more, but that is almost going to assure that I miss.

Here's my suggestions:
1. If you want to keep your arm locked then you need to limit the amount of wrist movement in the putt. Look at the Dave Feldberg, Philo Brathwait (sp), or even Nikko putting demos. They putt with the pendulum motion that you have with your arm.

or...

2. If you want to keep your wrist motion the way you have it, you'll have to start breaking your elbow and extending your motion more back and forth toward the basket rather than up and down (painting the pole as Climo would say). Make sure that your wrist is not too active though. It should naturally unhinge as your arm pushes toward the basket. For this look up Eric McCabe, Paul McBeth, or an extreme example Nate Doss.

I've found that I have to pick one style or the other. If I try to combine the two then there's no telling just how bad my putting will be that day. Good luck.