• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Quest AT and Gateway Discs

blang

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Does Quest AT and Gateway have some type of affiliation? It seems that they share some design characteristics and are often discussed in the same sentences.

Gateway and Quest had a partnership in '96 and developed the Odyssey series and the Inferno together. The DT (dimple technology) is something they developed together, which is why you see it on both companies discs.

Then came the 10 M Brick, which was a weird Quest design that came out with a Gateway stamp. That made Gateway none to happy, and as more weird Quest discs like the Backbone came out, the companies split. However, Dave McCormack has never really liked making drivers. He likes to make putters and he likes to install courses, but he would rather have somebody else make the rest of his discs. Quest has manufactured the Diablo and the Assassin and will probably continue to make more and more of the Gateway drivers. So the companies still work together.

You can still find Quest discs with hotstamps that say "Gateway Disc Sports," which confuses people. But as of right now they are separate companies, and Quest molds some of Gateway's discs.

OK, so I lost a decade. According to my tax returns since '96, I didn't miss much.

As I recall, Gateway had just started making bags in '96 and didn't start working on the Sabre until '97. They didn't get the Sabre approved and distributed outside of St. Louis until '98. Quest didn't exist until '05 or '06. So, my claims that they collaborated on discs in '96 would be dubious at best.

Damn, I was way off. I assumed you meant 1796! I always assumed that Dimple Technology was created by Thomas Jefferson using the notes taken from Ben Franklin.

Does Quest AT and Gateway have some type of affiliation? It seems that they share some design characteristics and are often discussed in the same sentences.

To my knowledge this business partnership is now ended. I would believe it is because of Quest ATs continued non-approved PDGA disc designs.

Latest posts