• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

question about distance throwers

That's why I've never heard of Jim Myers. If he threw a Destroyer into a headwind he might be good enough to hear about.

Or because his heydays were in the 80's and 90's. Hard to be relevant with a disc that was still 10-15 years away from being made. There are a ton of variables to negate your statement of "might be good enough to hear about."

Last year in leagues we had a new guy on our card who used to play a lot, but between his job and young kids he said he hardly played at all anymore. He had all blizzard plastic for drivers and it was a really windy day, 20+ mph steady wind with gusts even higher. On a 405' hole into a headwind he threw a blizzard driver (can't remember which one) straight at the basket on a rope -- it ended up going over the basket long! I was like WTF? He acted like it was nothing, but in those conditions we were all blown away he could pull off that shot. If I hadn't seen it I don't think I'd have believed it, the guy had mad skills.

I really struggle in windy conditions. All my discs start turning over. My 167 gram magnets are the worst. If you can throw 400-500 feet, are there discs that you can't throw? Are there discs that you just over power because you have so much arm speed? Or do I just really suck throwing into ahead wind?

Dave Feldberg has talked about this topic and if you can find his youtube video on it, it is worth watching. I think it's the 2011 USDGC video.

There is a tendency to pull harder into the wind, you're overcoming the wind after all. Dave talks about shanking Banshees, one of the most over stable discs out there. What he says to do is to take some off, and let the disc do the work. By throwing hard, you are overcoming the natural tendency of an over stable disc to turn out of the throw. That makes the disc more susceptible to the wind.

Great technique relies more on torque than on power. IMO, a reliance on torque puts all discs on a more stable trajectory (that is, an over stable disc goes to a stable flight, it is actually less stable) early in the flight, (even understable discs, I don't know why). Over reliance on power puts all discs on a less stable trajectory. If you rely on torque, once the disc gets down the fairway, the natural tendency of the disc kicks in and it holds it's line.

I use Destroyers into mid level winds, and the Scorpius in higher level winds. Rarely do I have to go to a "Firebird" alike disc.

The Magnet is going to be tough in the wind IMO, try a vibram VP, even that will turn in a big wind. For massive winds where I need a putter approach, I go first to a Breaker, and then to a Harp. They are very flat putters, i.e. catch less wind and tend to hold a line, period. Frankly, I can't turn a Harp over, and if your technique is bad it's going to come out and dive left on you. I'm not advocating those discs, there are equivalents from other companies. Look at the inbounds flight charts.

World numbers are lies!!!!

Definitely not as overstable as advertised, not even a little bit. I hyzerflip them out of the box lol

Very true. I threw worlds for max D this last season (and they may go back in). Other than the unusual PLH ones my TP and VIP I would rate -1 turn +2 fade on a big flat rip. I do have one TP that I would rate a 0 turn 2.5 fade and can handle some headwind.

PD2 is king of distance into a headwind.

Very true. I threw worlds for max D this last season (and they may go back in). Other than the unusual PLH ones my TP and VIP I would rate -1 turn +2 fade on a big flat rip. I do have one TP that I would rate a 0 turn 2.5 fade and can handle some headwind.

PD2 is king of distance into a headwind.

I wonder if their plastic variation isn't very big? I've seen similar things with their discs. Of course this impacts all the manufacturers. Taking the Destroyer as an example, in G Star it's stable, Star is over stable, and Champion is very over stable. And some versions of Echo Star are under stable.

-1 +2 is about what I'd rate as well (generally, there's always exceptions). I liked throwing them, just had issues with how shallow they were. Any moisture or slightest user error and there's certainly a slip happening. Hence the Cannon being in my signature...still have 3 Worlds though in case I ever change my mind lol

I wonder if their plastic variation isn't very big? I've seen similar things with their discs. Of course this impacts all the manufacturers. Taking the Destroyer as an example, in G Star it's stable, Star is over stable, and Champion is very over stable. And some versions of Echo Star are under stable.

The Elastos I've thrown have been the most stable (neutral? overstable? :D). The rest of the TP/VIP I feel like is more related to the weight or fluke PLH than plastic.

Latest posts