• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Raptor = (Innova disc)?

DarkAce1978

Par Member
Interested in peoples thoughts who have thrown the Raptor and the overstable Innova Birds. Does it feel and fly like a Thunderbird, Sexybird, Firebird or another disc?

Raptor = Champion Teebird3 IMO. Both very good molds.

The Raptor I've got is a glow z.

Thanks, seems like opinions are pretty varied on that thread.

My ESP definitely feels like like my old Flat Star FB's. But flies way straighter, with very dependable fade. I'm really enjoying first run Z's. They remind me of the 1st Sexton FB's I had(I think 2015). Maybe a touch straighter.

Raptor

I have an orange 169 and it is def a teebird3 like disc not close to a firebird. I would rate mine at a 8.4.0.2 maybe 1 fade.

Interesting that people are saying the raptor is straight. I have two first run Zs, stickered 173-174, that are quite overstable. I've been throwing Z Predators for a while and my Raptors are more overstable than any Predator I've thrown.

I have yet to throw a raptor but one of my good friends who has always thrown firebirds extremely well was struggling with the raptor the other day. It does not have the HSS that a firebird has and on flex shots it likes to hold anhyzer much longer than a firebird would. I actually watched him throw it backhand on slight hyzer and it flipped up and carried right (RHBH) for much longer than I expected an "OS" disc to.

When my Raptor gets here tomorrow, I will give a comparison to Thunderbirds, Firebirds, as well as Ti Undertaker and Stalker. I might have a T3 I can throw if my buddy shows up.

I think VictorB is correct. I expected a "mellow" Firebird. I got a "mellow" PD. It's a nice disc. Flat and great to throw FH (which, I think was the goal due to Predator issues on the FH side?).

It didn't make my bag.

I have a Z. I threw a swirly ESP, too. Small sample size...

The test flight I threw was the most overstable disc I've ever thrown. Way stronger than my pd2, fd3, various runs of P.D., including the new c line clear beefcake PDs. It's a shame there is that much variation

When my Raptor gets here tomorrow, I will give a comparison to Thunderbirds, Firebirds, as well as Ti Undertaker and Stalker. I might have a T3 I can throw if my buddy shows up.

So after a bit more than a one day test, my Raptor is very close to the numbers DC gives but with slightly less glide. Anything I asked of it, it did well, except FH rollers, but the disc isn't FAF FB flat, and that is probably the reason for that. It doesn't really fade, unless given hyzer or 15'+ height, otherwise it flies very Teebird/Thunderbird like, but with a solid 0 HSS. It's almost as long as my Undetaker, but more OS, almost a Undertaker OS in flight and like a FB in feel but without the little ridge on the outside of the wing.

I feel its closer to my FL than my TB3. Firebird longs didnt make it into the flight number era but im excited by these raptors.

The test flight I threw was the most overstable disc I've ever thrown. Way stronger than my pd2, fd3, various runs of P.D., including the new c line clear beefcake PDs. It's a shame there is that much variation

I am thinking that from the test flight that Discraft changed the disc mold just slightly to the point the disc flies not as OS as some of the test flight, as if in the test flight Discraft was trying to dial in the Raptor. Also trying to compare the Raptor to an Innova disc is near impossible given how much some of the molds vary from Innova.

I have 2 first run Z Raptors, a flat 175 and a ever so slightly dome 164. The light one is about the same as my '18 Sexton FB but is not as comfortable to forehand. The heavy flat one is very comfortable but is much more stable than the FB, I wish it would have knocked the FB out of the bag but it's too much beef for me.

Maybe it's my lower power level that gives me those results.

I've picked up 3 of the first run Z Raptors and they all fly the same. Comparable to my old beat CE Firebird, or a new Sexton, or a flat FL. It's a great, usable overstability without being too crazy. Probably more comfortable to grip forehand than my Firebirds.

I have more than enough overstable utility drivers to last a lifetime, but I can't resist snagging these when I see them. They feel great.

Latest posts