• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rec Par vs. Pro Par

thenamesben

Birdie Member
I was just wondering what other golfers play their courses as, rec par or pro par. I've only been playing for 7 months and I've never even considered playing a rec par because some of them are outrageous. I've seen a 350ft hole have a rec par of 5 and a pro par of 3. For me 350ft is usually a nice drive and a duece putt. I like having that extra challenge to get holes in pro par (which is usually 3) or better, keeps me more focused. I've even played what should be a pro par of 4 as a 3 just to push myself to be that much better.

Thoughts, comments?

I was just wondering what other golfers play their courses as, rec par or pro par. I've only been playing for 7 months and I've never even considered playing a rec par because some of them are outrageous. I've seen a 350ft hole have a rec par of 5 and a pro par of 3. For me 350ft is usually a nice drive and a duece putt. I like having that extra challenge to get holes in pro par (which is usually 3) or better, keeps me more focused. I've even played what should be a pro par of 4 as a 3 just to push myself to be that much better.

Thoughts, comments?

He said Par!!!
Does he count as a noob!?!?!?! (its only 13 posts!!!)
cause if he does I beat you Olorin! :p

So to seriously reply to your question. I like playing pro par ... until I mess up then I like rec par ;) but seriously, I will generally play the par posted on the course unless its really ridiculous then Ill play all par 3. The one thing I really like about forcing myself to play par 3 is it forces me to carefully consider every shot and make smart throws.
Olorin is the one you want to ask ... he's rather opinionated on par :p ;)

He said Par!!!
Does he count as a noob!?!?!?! (its only 13 posts!!!)
cause if he does I beat you Olorin! :p

"noob has got to be a less than 10 posts" - Donovan. Confirm it here.

So the contest continues valkyriefb11... :p

What is par?

What is par? :D

Seriously, I don't play Rec par or Pro par. I just play par. There should only be one par. And in my world it happens to be based on Gold Close Range (CR) Par.

SO close and only 4 posts too experienced. LOL :D

I like having that extra challenge to get holes in pro par (which is usually 3) or better, keeps me more focused. I've even played what should be a pro par of 4 as a 3 just to push myself to be that much better.

I have only seen one course that even had a pro par vs rec par, but it is really all in your head. I just count throws and total at the end.

I am really trying not to start a whole new par thread here:eek:

What is par? :D

Seriously, I don't play Rec par or Pro par. I just play par. There should only be one par. And in my world it happens to be based on Gold Close Range (CR) Par.
I generally play the listed par (whatever it is) Most courses I have seen don't have a pro par Vs a Rec par listed anyway. I agree there should only be one par. I think I told this before but I went to a course once where there was evidently a war going on about par. People were writing in their own par and erasing and blacking out other's writing and the posted par.

I like to play all holes as par 5 because it really boosts my confidence.

I'm with sidewindy! Only I'm Serious! Ever now and again I'll run into a course where the pars were set up with elementary or junior high kids in mind. Philomath Jr. Hi in Philomath, Oregon where a 281' hole is a par 4 and the 315' is a par 5. So I rack up a couple of eagles and if I wasn't such a wussy armed old man, I might have a chance for a double eagle. Now I know I'm probably never going to get an eagle on any legimate par 4 on any legimate course...but I walked off the course ar Philomath with my chest sticking out cause I'm damn proud of those eagles.

And I realize that most of you big throwers on this site would probably be getting double eagles there. I'm a realist! It's just fun to say, "Oh, I had four eagles today."

I just play they're all par 3, who wants to get to the hole and then think "what's par for this hole?" If you just play par 3, you never have to worry about that. Plus it's easier to add up score at the end. And you don't have to worry about what to call an ace on a hole that's par 5.

Blasphemy

Pronunciation:\ˈblas-fə-mē\
Function:noun
2: irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

I just play they're all par 3, who wants to get to the hole and then think "what's par for this hole?" If you just play par 3, you never have to worry about that. Plus it's easier to add up score at the end. And you don't have to worry about what to call an ace on a hole that's par 5.

Blasphemy! :eek:

Man, if only he started the thread...even though it was an indirect question, it would be a question about par just the same.....IT continues.

I play the posted par. If it's silly then I just try to break par by as much as I possibly can.

Latest posts