• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rec Par vs. Pro Par

I know this may sound wierd but I just throw as few times as I can repeating the process at every hole. It works great- sometimes.

I know this may sound wierd but I just throw as few times as I can repeating the process at every hole. It works great- sometimes.
Me too.

Unless it's a really cool hole and then sometimes I'll throw a few extra drives in a casual round for fun. ;)

ERic

heck! i'm happy if i get it in the basket!!!

when the kid (12 y/o competitive little schmuck) and go out, he always wants to keep score. i lose count after the 2nd hole. i never use paper.

in my head i just try to par 3 everything under 400 ft. (not so strong, seriously outta shape, almost middle-aged arm):eek:

ill allow myself a par 4 for super long holes

If, for some odd reason, I decide to keep score I use 3 for each hole to keep it easy to remember. If I'm reporting my score I just give the raw number.

I'm not sure I could play a round of disc golf without keeping score. What would be the point otherwise? I'm proud of the fact that I've recorded every round I've ever played on this website.

I'm not sure I could play a round of disc golf without keeping score. What would be the point otherwise? I'm proud of the fact that I've recorded every round I've ever played on this website.
I agree totally. All sports are at heart about competition whether it's against another player, yourself, or the course itself it just wouldn't be the same without keeping score. Of course how you keep score is another matter. What is Par? (cue Olorin)

I agree totally. All sports are at heart about competition whether it's against another player, yourself, or the course itself it just wouldn't be the same without keeping score. Of course how you keep score is another matter. What is Par? (cue Olorin)

How do you measure yourself against other golfers?

By height.

When I'm playing casually I play to improve skills, learn and have fun. The score I get doesn't matter. IMO keeping track of "hit" vs. "missed" shots (shots you executed right vs. ones you didn't), the length of the shot and the type of shot makes more sense to track when practicing than raw score. Your score doesn't really tell you much about what you need to work on, just whether or not something that could improve your score got better or that something that could hurt your score got worse. It doesn't tell you exactly what parts of your game are improving, getting worse or staying the same. It also doesn't tell you how many throws you make for any given distance range, which of your shots are most predictable and reliable and what types of shots come up the most.

When I compete is really the only time I keep score and that isn't very often.

I have only played any course (even if it's listed as par 4 or 5) as a par 3. Are there tourneys with any par 4's or 5's?

For me, I always keep score even if its just rec. I like trying to improve my game and keeping score is a way to compete against myself.
I have an excell spreadsheet with all my rounds, I just havent gotten around to putting the not-so-great ones up on the website ;)

For me, Par is 3. Plain and simple. It makes adding up your score easy. Unless your playing holes that are 800'+, I really wouldn't worry about it.

Personally I always play Pro Par, but of course, I also play Pro and around here, everything is a par 3.

The only time I play anything other than Par 54 is when I am playing a course that was designed as a PRO par greater than 54, such as Winthrop Gold, Redhawk, Moraine, Idlewild, etc.

I like courses where SSA = Par and it feels good to shoot Par (only top level players shoot under par on these courses, so you know you've done something if you do so)

As a new player (6 months in), I find that public pars are a lot more forgiving and tend to make the game more enjoyable. Once I start shooting par or under 60% of the time - I'll switch over.

here is the part that confuses me: why is the game more enjoyable playing a different par? it is just a term - your still shooting the same score, playing the same game, having the same fun

I guess it could be less embarrassing to say you shot less over par, but why should you worry about what other people think about you or why let that cause you to have less fun?

I guess I'm one of those who would just prefer there be one par, what a pro level player would shoot, as mentioned in another thread somewhere here - this way, you know that whenever you manage to shoot par, you have really done something

I normally play 3 to a basket unless its a course I have never played before. I figure the course par and what I throw against it are a good starting point for evaluation on a new course for me.

Latest posts