• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Regionally Thrown Discs

In Oklahoma City it is mostly Innova, since that's mostly what our 2 disc shops stock.

Alot of Katanas. I don't think I've ever sen a Lat 64 disc that wasn't in my own bag.

In Oklahoma City it is mostly Innova, since that's mostly what our 2 disc shops stock.

Alot of Katanas. I don't think I've ever sen a Lat 64 disc that wasn't in my own bag.

I carry a river and a flow, but you're right, we don't see much Lat 64 around here. There's been a little more since Fred's gets some in every now and again, but not much.

There's also not a lot of Discraft throwers. You see some (mostly people throwing Nukes), but MUCH more Innova.

Here is SE North Carolina, I see a lot of Rhynos and XD's and Rocs. You'll also see a lot of Sidewinders and RoadRunners and Wraiths.
Very heavy Innova down here.
They look at my bag like it came from outer space (Discraft, Gateway, Vibram, etc).

1080 Radius.....i see them in half the bags. but nobody throws the warlock. it is as if they throw the 1080 to support revolution(a local company) but only in that plastic. The plastic is really nice and was made by gateway just wonder why gateway doesn't use that formula now?

Glow FL.......as the main utility disc of most serious players in this area too. I have a hard time trading them online but i bet if you find the right pro they will want another.

The other day we got in our Discraft shipment. For the most part a good assortment of discs. We had plenty of Z Hornets because it is the new thing. What really stood out was the 80 Z Nukes we received and that we only received 80 out of the 100 we ordered because they are on back-order.

The Innova order I have been unpacking for the last two days included a lot of Champion and Star Wraiths, Star Katanas, Champion Destroyers, and Star Vulcans.

What I saw as a positive sign are the numerous Lat64 only orders going out to the smaller stores we support.

lanswer 1:
"Discraft discs just aren't as consistent as Innova"
which, I've always heard the exact opposite.
Both are just about equally inconsistent. It's more visible with Innova though, since they move about an order of magnitude more stuff.

Not to turn this into an Innova v. Discraft case, but I find much less variance in Discraft molds than Innova. Not just on the whole "multiple molds with the same name thing." I love destroyer, but I went to two separate stores yesterday and thumbed through about 20 destroyers between the two. The molding differences were surprising. They ranged from pancake flat, to pop-top domey and every shade in between.

I know which amount of dome I want for a given flight characteristic, so its not a big deal to me, but those different shapes cause fairly drastic flight differences. That's part of the reason I carry 5 destroyers all which do different things.

OOP Proline Rhynos. Over 1/2 the people I play with at my course has one, the other 1/2 throws aviars. Very few Discraft molds being thrown as you can only locally buy Innova.

Ive definitley noticed some regional trends around western Canada...here in Calgary its the Gator, like half the players here have one in their bag, and a few guys swear by them as putters. Up north in Edmonton, its the same way with Rhynos. Ive been to the west coast of BC a bunch of times, Cobra's seem to be the thing there.

Kind of interesting since none of these particulary popular discs. On the flip side I can only think of 1 or 2 players here that regularly throw dx-Rocs.

Santa Cruuuuuuuuz

I see an abnormally high number of DGA discs, mostly hurricanes, aftershocks, shockwaves and squalls. Probably because the company is so local. Most of the DGA team is based in the area and they sponsor all the local tourneys (I have 8 hurricanes, I've bought 0).

Other than that I've noticed a lot of small armed players throwing destroyers, katanas, vulcans and bosses. While the better players stick to teebirds, firebirds and rocs.

The River has some popularity in Austin. At least in my group. The Hornet has taken off. The FR Masters Katana's were in everyone's bag in Southern California last year. Buzzzzz's are the main mid in Austin with a lot of Drone's as compliments, not as many Rocs. Pink Opto Fuses seem to be big too...

I carry a river and a flow, but you're right, we don't see much Lat 64 around here. There's been a little more since Fred's gets some in every now and again, but not much.

There's also not a lot of Discraft throwers. You see some (mostly people throwing Nukes), but MUCH more Innova.

It's too bad Fred wants $20 for a GL disc......

On a side note, do you know of any place other than the other convenience store by Dolese park that sells discs?

Lately its been bosses and beasts. One disc players mostly.

Putters of any sort are definitely NOT popular on my local course.

Recently it has been Z Nukes; almost everyone has one. Cannot say I blame them. I can power it up and get 400 feet but I can also power it down and get very accurate 320+ hyzer placement.

Conversely, despite sales being good, I hardly actually see anything from Vibram, MVP, and Lat flying around. That is practically half my bag right there. I enjoy talking to people about discs but I often get, "what was that you just threw?"

Metro-ATL is pretty mixed between innova and discraft; probably due to the one proshop being awesome about having most if not all models of all brands in stock. I'm a latt 64 man myself, but I never see other people with them. I used to throw a Ching, which is another one I've never seen anybody else with. Lots of F'ing Valks, wraiths, stalkers. Of course everyone has an Aviar and Roc, except me. I show off my AceRace for mid shots and putts.

Last edited: