• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Regionally Thrown Discs

weeman

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
With playing in various parts of the country I've noticed that locals in a certain area will gravitate and generally use the same disc. For instance, I've played with numerous people from Knoxville and they all throw Rhynos. In Asheville, NC I noticed a lot of people throwing Darts. Louisville is no different. The popular but always seemingly rare disc of choice is the Condor. I know why the Condor is a regional disc to Louisville (Dave Greenwell's influence) but what are some of the discs that you throw that's overly common in your city? I guess this is mainly aimed at mid ranges but feel free to throw whatever out there.

RocsAviarsTeebirdsRocsAviarsTeebirdsRocsAviarsTeebirds.....

I'm slowly turning Wilmington into an Ion town :sinisterlyrubshandstogethersmiley:

RocsAviarsTeebirdsRocsAviarsTeebirdsRocsAviarsTeebirds.....

I'm slowly turning Wilmington into an Ion town :sinisterlyrubshandstogethersmiley:

yup, alot of rocs, aviars, and teebirds here. personally i like the valk, not the roc, and an aviar

I see a lot of Z Buzzzes and Stalkers. FLX Drones are popular too. With one major store and two other active ones in a thirty mile radius, our area has access to almost any disc available. I see quite a variety. If there is one thing that is consistently out there is the "next big thing." If a new disc just came out, there is a good chance that multiple people are going to out throwing it and talking it up.

Yes, even within my state.
I think it has to do with the local pros and the local courses aswell.
My home course only has a few tb holes. Also with geoff Bennett as it's most established player, I see alot of fh players.

Most people around me,

max weight champ boss/destroyer

Most people around me,

max weight champ boss/destroyer

:\ that's how it is around me. you can't even buy a damn TB at the pro shop, but they've got 35 bosses :wall: NOOBS

edit: that's the rare 3 hours a week the shop is even open

Last edited:
Everyone i play with has at least one whippet in their bag... not saying it's like that in the whole surrounding area.. but it seems like it... maybe because the courses around require a disc that acts like a whippet.. i know i throw mine more than any other disc in my bag

Katana's are big here. Probably cuz they are the latest Innova disc. Aviars are the most widely used putter. Nobody but me uses fairway drivers or gateway putters out of the people I've played with. Lots of beasts, bosses an destroyers too.

In San Antonio i see more people using bosses than anything.
i am the only one that i know around here that uses fairway drivers and putters off the tee. i see a pattern developing among us at the DGCR and the other players around.
I get a lot of weird looks when i play through on a group and use a wizard to tee off with while the other guys waiting have Bosses in there hands. come on you don't need a Boss its a 200 foot hole.

I see alot of rocs of course, but I see alot of nukes and katanas also. For the most part the people I see throwing them should definatly not be. Though I have seen some people bombs these discs, I for one can not. Ill stick to rocs and wizards

That's weird. I know a ton of people here who throw lats. The plastic just feels so nice.

I just got my first lat disc, a opto striker I got for 6 bucks on ebay. Way flatter then I thought it was going to be. This thing is pretty damn stable. Is this normal or did I get a freak overstable one?:mad:

I just got my first lat disc, a opto striker I got for 6 bucks on ebay. Way flatter then I thought it was going to be. This thing is pretty damn stable. Is this normal or did I get a freak overstable one?:mad:

Yeah, that thing is supposed to be stable. My friend has one and he's still try to figure it out. It'll literally hold any line you throw it on. Here's the description for it:

"Striker is the perfect disc for accurate drives; both straight, right and left. The excellent balance of our new driver makes it suitable for most players. It is not too overstable and not too understable, making it a very useful disc for players that look for more than just distance in a disc. Control is the key word for this disc! The flight at a 330ft drive is neutral with a very small fade at the end of the flightpath. "

I personally was a big influence of the gateway putters in the south suburbs of the twin cities. I had a 3 month internship up there and just talked to everyone I played with about their putters, let them throw them etc. Next thing you know, a majority of league plaguers are throwing wizards and magics.

Around the ames area is the same way with gateway putters, also Discraft flashes seem to be big.