• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Regular Line Pro Katanas

How far did you throw before the Katana?

The Valkyrie was my main driver and I felt confident in the 325 range however could push it out to 350-360 but accuracy declined.

All the Valks that I threw were 175. I got a Katana at 175 though and it just didn't work for me. So I dropped down to a 168 and that thing is magic for me.

I have been practicing in the field for months, using a Dynaflex 2-3 times a week, and was getting frustrated as it didn't really seem to make a differance but when I started dropping down in weight, and slowing down during my run up and throw the disc started going farther.

Now when I go to the field I take a handfull of 155 Gazelles, and some putters. The lighter discs teach me snap and the putters teach me spin.

I am also 6'2" and lanky. I think that the arm length may help me with distance.

Also if you played me you would see that the extra distance doesn't really mean a better score. On a hole that is 380 I may be able to get the Katana there, however most of the time it is to the left or right of the hole 40 feet, I don't make many 40 foot putts but I will take an easy par. The next guy throws a 300 foot shot, then an 80 foot upshot, and we walk away with the same score.

The Valkyrie was my main driver and I felt confident in the 325 range however could push it out to 350-360 but accuracy declined.

All the Valks that I threw were 175. I got a Katana at 175 though and it just didn't work for me. So I dropped down to a 168 and that thing is magic for me.

I have been practicing in the field for months, using a Dynaflex 2-3 times a week, and was getting frustrated as it didn't really seem to make a differance but when I started dropping down in weight, and slowing down during my run up and throw the disc started going farther.

Now when I go to the field I take a handfull of 155 Gazelles, and some putters. The lighter discs teach me snap and the putters teach me spin.

I am also 6'2" and lanky. I think that the arm length may help me with distance.

Also if you played me you would see that the extra distance doesn't really mean a better score. On a hole that is 380 I may be able to get the Katana there, however most of the time it is to the left or right of the hole 40 feet, I don't make many 40 foot putts but I will take an easy par. The next guy throws a 300 foot shot, then an 80 foot upshot, and we walk away with the same score.

I understand, but I like your chances of making a 40' before the other guy makes his 80'. :D

I love this disc!

I've been hitting 250 on a consistent basis using my TL and I began looking for a distance driver to start practicing with. I tried a valk but it didn't add any distance at all to my drives but had a bigger fade so I went back to using my fairway driver and just kind of figured I wasn't ready to upgrade yet.

Well, I got my katana yesterday and decided to take it out on the 10th hole of the Toronto Island to give her a ride and it was by far my best throw ever. It went about 290 and was very straight. A little left to right movement with a small amount of fade at the end but still a very controllable disc. I used it the rest of the day (36 more holes) as my main driver.

This got me thinking that the katana, although a speed 13, would be a good disc as a first distance driver for most people. A little understable, amazing glide and crazy fast. The rim being so large was a little hard to get used to, but other than that this disc was the disc I was dreaming I would find.

OK. The rain finally stopped and I took a stack of discs to the park. I had similar Katana results as most of the thread. I got an additional 30-40 feet out of the disc. The sharper nose was an issue for me. If I can improve my form a little better I can see the disc getting more D than it did.

I likey.

I used the Katana as my distance driver today in a round for the first time. You really have to give it more height than most drivers. You also need a ton of space as it turns for a long, long time, before a little fade at the end. A new Katana turns far more than a new valkyrie. It'll have a place in the bag, but I don't know that it'll ever be my main driver. Far too understable, even for my noodle arms.

Yeah, I was looking forward to trying it out during my round at Circle C, but there are just no holes that offer a high enough ceiling and wide enough fairway to throw this disc on except for the shot from the hill over the trees. There's a couple holes in the area I'll be able to use it at, but for the most part it's just going to sit in my bag because most fairways don't allow that much height and side-to-side movement.

This disc id great for hyzer flip shots that are pretty low and straight, so a huge flex shot isn't necessary to get a lot of diatance with. Great driver!. Going to be my new roller too (RHBH).

Another day in the field at lunch. The Katana is working marvelously. Even on throws where my form doesn't feel quite on it's still going farther than anything else.

I also learned to love my Viking. I can't believe how little fade that thing has. Next course day they're both coming with me.

I threw that Katana 350 today (previous best 320) on a 375 foot hole I've never birdied. Naturally, I still had a 40 foot putt which I proceeded to miss. But I've never really had a chance on that hole, now I do thanks to the Katana. Trying to learn to throw that thing is really helping my overall game. It'll really show you if you're putting OAT on your discs.

I have a 166 champion... I throw my Star Destroyer 350+ consistently. My home course has 2 wide open field shots over 500 ft apiece... I can get the Katana out there 420-450ft. I'm getting 0 fade on mine. Sometimes it doesn't ever turn and I still get near that distance.

I got a Pro 173 and 174 recently, and was surprised at how easy it is to throw. I noticed you can't air it out too much or it will fade, but with a slight bit of anhyzer or a low release (or both) it goes for days. I have had 3 of my farthest throws with it ever already. It surprises you how far it actually goes - I am still getting surprised when I find my throw 40-50 ft further than I estimated on blind holes. Like this one. Thought my drive hyzered out (got too excited) but ended up being 45 ft from the hole.

I keep getting tempted by the Pro Katana in stores, but I keep remembering that I've got a Star Katana, a TL, a Valkyrie, two Surges, a Wraith, and a Boss already in my bag, and I can't quite bring myself to justify the purchase. And last weekend I found an unmarked Starfire, and now I've got an old Discraft Xtra coming to me in a trade. I figure that's plenty of high-speed drivers in my bag without adding another one. If only I had piles of money sitting around that I didn't know how to spend. *sigh*

i picked one up today, pro Katana 175. I did throw a buddy's last Sunday, actually he had two of different weights. 175 and 165. I threw the 175 as far as I threw my 162 rpro boss, piped it down the middle - only One throw. I am really hoping that I can replace the slot currently filled by my first run boss. I just hate having to pay extra cash to replace some chic Innova mold. I hate that about Innova. Hate it! Do you hear me! (speaking to someone who works at Innova) I hate it.

The lower weight flipped on me - but we're talking 1 throw. I think it would be interesting to try out in a field. Of course I get paranoid throwing light weight plastic in the wind...

I can only hope I stand there in amazement as you have. That would be nice. Looking forward to giving it a try.

I have several katanas, pro, star, champ, and this is one disc where I can actually say that there is hardly a noticable differance in between plastics. They all throw the same, except for a first run champ, those were a little more stable than the rest.

Can I reiterate that I really love this disc? Yes? Good.

I parked a hole on Saturday that I've never gotten close to. OK. Sure. The pin wasn't in that position at the time but now I know that I can finally get my disc into putting range.

I've got 2 that are just sitting in my workbench. I'm trying to be good and work on form. You guys are not making this easy!

I have had a pro katana, 175 gram for a few weeks now. It likes to flip over acting super understable on me. Im not that shocked being it is a -3 high speed fade disc, I need to practice more with it in the spring time when the weather gets a bit warmer. The good thing about the katana is when you get a good drive it goes and goes and goes for you, the bad thing about a katana is when you shank a drive it goes and goes and goes and goes deep into the great abyss, possibly never to be seen again.

Wow. It DOES sound like a Sidewinder. I'll save my virgin throws for Cedarock where there is much open space.

Latest posts