• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reno/Tahoe in April

Upshawt1979

Bogey Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I have vacation time that needs to be used by 4-20-21. If I make a week long trip in mid April, what are the odds I could play a few of the better courses around there? I realize a snow event is possible, but what are typical course conditions that time of year?

So many great courses but will I be able to play them mid April, or should I look for a warmer latitude?

Where do you normally live at?

I would forgo that area because you will miss most courses in Tahoe but Reno will be okay. Tahoe has the gems though. I need to play 4-5 courses in that area and I'm holding off until June because some courses are seasonal and pulled till then.

I live in the KC area. Never been to that region, but there looks to be a few excellent courses around there. I knew it would be too early for the ski area courses but I'm thinking I could still get in 7 or 8 good ones if conditions are good.

Where do you normally live at?

I would forgo that area because you will miss most courses in Tahoe but Reno will be okay. Tahoe has the gems though. I need to play 4-5 courses in that area and I'm holding off until June because some courses are seasonal and pulled till then.

Sounds like 100% of the Courses in Tahoe with none in town are on Ski Resorts on edge of town.

I'm waiting to play Donnor & Stampede but was told to wait as one was pulled as another might be tough navigating. Squaw will not be playable or Kirkwood.

Zephyr would be playable and perhaps Bijou, but I don't recommend Bijou because it's not to special. Sierra college and Truckee are good but again I'm know they get snow and ice. Just need to watch that.

I'm just saying if you want to go to an area that good wouldn't you want to play them all or the best ones? I'd wait.

How about Oregon? Southern California?

I have vacation time that needs to be used by 4-20-21. If I make a week long trip in mid April, what are the odds I could play a few of the better courses around there? I realize a snow event is possible, but what are typical course conditions that time of year?

So many great courses but will I be able to play them mid April, or should I look for a warmer latitude?

They generally measure snowfall by the foot in the Sierras. The current winter storm will drop 1 to 3 feet on South Lake Tahoe and 3 to 6 feet of snow at higher elevations.

Tahoe could get very deep snowfall at any time through June. Although most years it rarely snows after mid-May. I usually avoid Tahoe until late June just in case they get a late spring storm. But, if you like skiing or snowboarding, April should be awesome.

Reno doesn't get as much snow and should be playable in April (but cold).

If you play SoCal or Arizona let me know and I can suggest a lot of private, unlisted courses, guides, and knowledge on all courses and areas. I have more then 97% completed in both states. Also have recommendations on beer, food, stores, etc...

If you play SoCal or Arizona let me know and I can suggest a lot of private, unlisted courses, guides, and knowledge on all courses and areas. I have more then 97% completed in both states. Also have recommendations on beer, food, stores, etc...

I do too for a beer place in San Luis Obispo, Tap It or TapIt I think is name of place has I think 3-5 beers on the Microbrewery tap. Another place to eat is in San Luis that has these burritos and like food that is huge like a 5-7 pound burrito and yes they have vegan/vegetarian too for those not eating meat.

Then Paso Robles has the best Winery near Lompoc. Then there is a place next to the Jholma beach a restaurant that serves these burgers and fries though do the beach trip first. Famous spot for a Navel shipwreck from 1920 or 1921. Next time we go to the area when we go back to where I was born and dad went to high school we will stay at the beach Cabins booking those a week in advance and bring sleeping bags. Also a first a course since 2010's sometime is in Lompoc though it is not that spectacular as a course, it does have a cool view on one hole to see a part of the city of Lompoc. We stayed at a hotel that was in town and looked like the cover of hotel California, but I think that is in Salinas home of the First Holiday Inn and 1/2 of the way between true LA and San Francisco on Route 1/101.

We're getting hammered in Mammoth right now. Could be 10 feet of new snow by Friday. Up till this week, I would have said Tahoe would have been fine in April. Now, not so much. Btw, most of the courses in Tahoe aren't on ski resorts. Kirkwood is the best of the ski hill courses and is usually open July through October.

The food and bev portion of any trip plus a priority, my girl is a bit of a foodie. Triple D putting 5 or 6 Reno restaurants was half the reason to go there.

I think we are going to do a car trip instead for now, and save the long distance travel for a later date. When we do hit those areas, I will consult my DGCR fam for sure.

Thanks all.

Latest posts