• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH Form Check

Fair summary from my understanding :thmbup:

Watching that inside swing drill SW22 also talks about the leverage on the inside of the rear foot which I was feeling.

https://youtu.be/FWasFdvnGio?t=112

So leveraged but still heel down. I tried the butt wipe drill and found it felt very different from my swing so I thought it was worth filming to make sure I'm doing it right. Finish position is totally different and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting my butt out on the reachback in my actual swing.

I think this is a new record of videos posted in a day for me. :p

You are definitely having a busy day!

Yep, let it flow back toward the heel/outstep (but still in leverage) and toward and thru the instep in the transition to the plant.

In your Buttwipe I think you still need that little swing of the booty more up relative to the front hip in the backswing similar to how you swing the hammer. Looks a little too horizontal without the vertical there.

Watch here are about 6:00 for how the rear hip moves relative to the front hip in a view from behind:

In your Buttwipe I think you still need that little swing of the booty more up relative to the front hip in the backswing similar to how you swing the hammer. Looks a little too horizontal without the vertical there.

More booty lift! :)

Ok I'll give that a try. I think I understand what you mean after trying a few of the drills with that in mind.

Not sure if any of this is making it into my actual swing yet but thought I would get a quick video of where I'm at.

Some of the sequence is looking better to me.

I kept looking at how your posture flows and I think maybe working specifically on your off arm for a bit here may help.

Right now I think part of your balance and transition problem on the rear side is because you aren't getting the off arm in tight to the hip at all and never really get it in the right place in the right sequence. So the drive leg and posture is kinda just moving ahead of it rather than waiting for the off arm to naturally collect your mass into the brace and leverage the swing out. As a result your whole front side is a little out of posture and opening ahead of the ideal leverage points. Notice the rear arm dragging and how your front shoulder is higher relative to the ground than your rear shoulder here:

zg4XQTe.png

Simon's still got that leading shoulder sloped aggressively down at that point:

iCpbrrr.png

You can't force that, and here's how it relates to the off arm:

Notice how Simon's off arm elbow-to-hip move helps get all his weight collected toward the brace as he moves off the rear side:

rJVC8ms.jpg

McBeth from the rear showing how the rear arm elbow-to-hip helps get all his leverage deep forward into the swing trailing his hips into the smash:
x204cLb.png

Basically, if the rear arm is too out of whack it keeps (1) your weight hanging too far back from the brace (causing a poor weight shift and tilt) and (2) doesn't allow you to swing from the REAR shoulder (losing tons of power).

The first move here literally holding a beverage helped me. It should feel easy and fluid like this:

But I think you're also going to need to exaggerate it to teach your body. This little move is good to practice over and over:

https://youtu.be/Mpp7ZFLHK90?t=580

And then the moves from 1:14 to 3:00 here are also probably good for you. For the drill, notice how I'm already setting the protracted shoulder position as I prepare to swing (in a real swing the shoulder is retracting into the backswing and protracting into the swing). The first part of the move is exaggerating the elbow-to-hip move like SW22 shows above. Then I swing the leverage through with the swim part to swing over the front knee. I'm still a fan of this drill and its variants because it really helps isolate the feeling of the rear side and shoulder collecting your weight "inside" your posture and leveraging the front arm and disc out from the body. BTW, the Overthrow "Twirlybird" was similar but it lacks the initial elbow-to-hip weight shift part that SW22 teaches. You need both that move and the swim.

https://youtu.be/qzyZzNq51Fs?t=74

I still do these exaggerated moves sometimes as "boosters" when I warm up to make sure this off arm action doesn't get lazy.

I kept looking at how your posture flows and I think maybe working specifically on your off arm for a bit here may help.

Thanks for the great explanation and drills. Spent some time warming up with a focus on that and I think it is better in this version of the swing.

I think I also need to get the swing plane fixed and swing up as SW22 told me to do. I had fixed that some but it has crept back in trying to fix these other issues.

Looking better in terms of the off arm. Keep focusing on the elbow-to-hip part and doing it until you don't have to think about it any more.

I'd go back up to Post 133 and look at some of the content there about hips and pressure.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3856157&postcount=133

It looks like you are dorsiflexing/retracting your feet both ways instead of bracing up thru the instep of the feet and resisting with more plantar flexion. Your feet kind of get flat and roll over/spin out.

There is still a little bit of slippage in your rear foot as you transition from the backswing that indicates the leverage and pressure are off. Watch your rear toe - it slips away from the target as you backswing before coming forward again. The toe shouldn't do that in the ideal pressure flow so I don't think you're quite getting braced correctly as you swing back - the plantar flexion SW22 mentioned. That explains part of the trouble with your tilt & swing path when you shift to swing.

IMO hershyzer 1 against the wall or hershyzer 2 a bit off the wall are good drills for this. My rear foot pressure had developed a lot before I got to Hershyzer 2. But I think there was something about getting the leverage off the rear leg in Hershyzer 2 that is making it better quickly because it really helps you feel the flow of leverage and the plantar flexion is a big component or you can't really do that move.

Last edited:
There is still a little bit of slippage in your rear foot as you transition from the backswing that indicates the leverage and pressure are off. Watch your rear toe - it slips away from the target as you backswing before coming forward again. The toe shouldn't do that in the ideal pressure flow so I don't think you're quite getting braced correctly as you swing back - the plantar flexion SW22 mentioned. That explains part of the trouble with your tilt & swing path when you shift to swing.

Yes, that is the struggle. Keeping the footwork correct while also focusing on fixing other things. :doh: So hard to get it all right at the same time.

IMO hershyzer 1 against the wall or hershyzer 2 a bit off the wall are good drills for this. My rear foot pressure had developed a lot before I got to Hershyzer 2. But I think there was something about getting the leverage off the rear leg in Hershyzer 2 that is making it better quickly because it really helps you feel the flow of leverage and the plantar flexion is a big component or you can't really do that move.

I'll give this a try and keep on drilling. Thanks!

You turn all the way back before you start striding/shifting forward so you are opening up everything before you plant.

Need to keep turning back going into the plant like door frame/bow arrow/figure 8 drills.

Open to closed drill:

Ok, not sure I'm doing this right, but gave it a try.

You turn all the way back before you start striding/shifting forward so you are opening up everything before you plant.

Need to keep turning back going into the plant like door frame/bow arrow/figure 8 drills.

Open to closed drill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=6m57s

Do what this man says and forgive my drill recency bias. I remembered one thing here used to confuse the **** out of me trying to understand how to move off the rear side so I wanted to add an image that helped me learn a point you want to get from Open to Closed drill.

Bryant, if you look at SW22 BH here you can see how the drive leg is moving him with his CoG forward while he continues to build load/turn away in the backswing simultaneously.

https://youtu.be/ok26o-xSVRA?t=38

Based on where your feet are when you walk naturally, when throwing I think you still have your rear foot turning or slipping a little too far back. This contributes you to leaning rather than tilting in the backswing and you can't shift like he does or you'd fall out of balance:

tPNE2Ki.png

So when you do that O-to-C drill it may help you find a rear foot angle that gets you more leverage that will allow your foot to evert, and you'll likely find that the rear toe needs to be closer to the target than you have it to do that move correctly. I don't think what I said before is inconsistent but Open to Closed will probably help address the cause faster.

Do the drill.

And post the drill!

Still opening up before the plant there.

Don't swing forward in the drill. Just stop after the shift/crush, or "real top of the backswing" as SC demos.

Still opening up before the plant there.

Don't swing forward in the drill. Just stop after the shift/crush, or "real top of the backswing" as SC demos.

Ok, trying to just do the top of the backswing.

Did another round of throws and it seem like I'm maybe doing it a little better but still turning back too much at the start.

I'll keep on drilling and trying to figure this out. Thanks for all the feedback!

1. Yeah, over-shifting back away, your left hip is going back over your foot. You want your left hip to start going targetward much earlier in backswing.

It's kind of like you are combining drills, you address like One-leg drill, but then shift like a One-Step/or "standstill". If you watch my standstill throw I start in a little wider stance more centered between feet and my left hip barely shifts back away from target maybe 1-2" before turning back and moving targetward.

2. Try to keep your chin up above your shoulders/off your chest. Looks like you are keeping your head down/chin tucked or something.

3. Keep your elbow out away from body, so the lower arm/disc can swing in/out from chest. It looks like your elbow moves closer to your body during the throw and not really swinging the disc in closer to your center before extending the elbow.

1. Yeah, over-shifting back away, your left hip is going back over your foot. You want your left hip to start going targetward much earlier in backswing.

Tried working on crush the can but I think in this first video I'm still over-shifting?

Spent some time trying to figure out the timing based on watching your ctc video and playing around with the timing. Maybe a little better now (last couple of tries)?

Did my morning short round (9 holes, mids only) and throws felt pretty effortless with this earlier shift forward. Still need to work on the chin up and elbow out.

There is no need to swing in the drill.

Get a cinder block or something and put it under your rear foot, so you have to drop/hinge off it.

Ok, gave that a try. My rear leg looks a little strange to me but maybe it is ok?

I think the riser/cinder block drill has a good chance to help you connect the rear leg leverage with the crush.

Look at your rear foot angle compared to SW22 when he has his foot on the riser. You need to get your foot more perpendicular to target/toe pointed more toward the camera and leverage it more laterally and "fall" off that stride at the last moment into the crush.

The beauty of a ball and socket joint is that it's so versatile. The curse is that its hard to train very task-specific leverage like you need in the DG stride.

When you get it at first it might feel surprisingly firm in the rear hip socket since it'll be much more leverage than you're getting there.

It might help to have the rear foot more perpendicular, but I don't think it's necessary(see Swivel Stairs - which this is basically same thing), I only had it perpendicular in CTC2.1 because the foam is curved and would be awkward any other way.

1. Starting stance probably too wide. Try 6-12" narrower.

2. "Backswing"(don't swing - leave your arm/s alone, relaxed, dingle). Just stand upright on rear leg, rear hip stacked over foot, could stand there all day on one leg. Maybe this should be called "backshift" instead of backswing.

3. Crush the Can with frontside in dynamic stack/alignment to front leg. Your front knee is landing behind your hip instead of hip braced behind knee. You can see your whole frontside collapses all the way to your head into your shoulder.

Note how my rear foot/shin rolled laterally targetward while the rear hip sits back deeper and rear knee bent more over rear toes. Note how you end up too far over, likely due to starting stance too wide and not really shifting/standing up on rear hip.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bryant vs me cc2 copy 2.jpg
    bryant vs me cc2 copy 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 31
It might help to have the rear foot more perpendicular, but I don't think it's necessary(see Swivel Stairs - which this is basically same thing), I only had it perpendicular in CTC2.1 because the foam is curved and would be awkward any other way.

Thanks for saying this. It seems like changing the foot angle and then backshifting to stack over it changes the path of the body/rock relative to the ground but you can get the same move when you stride off into the crush.

Latest posts