• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ricky's Lie on #8 of DDO Finals

roblee

Birdie Member
Since we've already discussed rulings and non-rulings during this tournament here's another. Kind of long.

There was a groan when Ricky's Tee on #8 came out low, slow, and short disappearing over a tiny hill (35:06). Unknown, it was in a drainage swale. See it in flyover at 33:55. The fairways at Champions Landing and Jones Park were still saturated from the heavy rain last weekend. The hillsides were weeping water at both courses throughout the tournaments.

Ricky addressed the card, assuming he was seeking relief. I did'nt see the card scrutinize the lie or engage in discussion. Everybody kind of milled around the area and someone in the crowd speculated they were waiting on an official ruling. I didn't see anything indicating an official looked at the lie. Rick took no relief and planted for a stand still forehand. It was obvious his foot was in water and the ground wouldn't support him. Sure enough his foot sunk & slipped pushing the disc about 4". No one said anything and the players and gallery moved on. Ricky then threw OB and he seemed troubled. The Jomez commentators discussed the lie call with Jerm saying there was no casual relief because it's not listed as casual relief.

I went back to look after they putted out and took a pic & short video. The hillside was still weeping and the tiny rivulets of water were flowing. Now, there is a continuum from clear water to hard packed mud with infinite stages of colloidal states. Where does water become muddy enough to become just mud? If there is a layer of flowing water over it I would call it water; casual water. Listing not required per the rules. I think the right call was "casual".

Pic is looking toward Tee. Ricks foot planted in area just left of center pointing down toward basket.. Print on right is from gallery I think.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 2
Looks like water to me from the picture, also appears that some portion of the "sheet of paper" (lie) was not in the water given the idea that the center of the lie was where his foot planted. Not sure what bearing that would/should have on a ruling. This particular call would likely have been easier to make before the concept of lie was expanded.

What the pic doesn't show is that the layer of water extends into the grass and is not noticeable without getting close to look. I hope the decision wasn't made over the phone. Surely there was an designated official in the crowd of such a big event.

Forgot to mention that the camera crew stood directly over the spot after the gallery passed with camera pointing straight down. Expect there is good footage of this.

Come on dude, play it where it lies. I hate this relief discourse. It's an outdoor sport, you're gonna get a little muddy. Don't throw your drive so low down the side of the hill.

Come on dude, play it where it lies. I hate this relief discourse. It's an outdoor sport, you're gonna get a little muddy. Don't throw your drive so low down the side of the hill.
If the rules allow it then a player would be a fool not to take advantage of it.

If the rules allow it then a player would be a fool not to take advantage of it.
Indeed, but the Relief rule is disc golf's version of the NBA's Block/Charge. Kick it out!

Relief makes some sense in ball golf given the need to play the ball directly from the playing surface. With a disc we only need to get our foot behind the lie, but the length and flexibility of our limbs opens up an infinite number of spaces and angles from which to play the disc.

The wife and I saw that and I wondered aloud why he wouldn't have a large towel he could stand on, since his caddy was pulling his cart AND had a golf bag with him.

Latest posts