• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road Trip to Grand Rapids MI, April 2024

CaptainAnhyzer

* Ace Member *
I'm headed to Grand Rapids MI for a wedding and have a small window to play a round.
Looking to play the morning of April 13 2024

Preferrably not too far a drive from Midtown(zip 49503)

Driving? Flying? If you happen to drive, and choose the southern route (through Ohio and not Ontario) and need to break up your drive, hit me up for a round.

-edit- I'm not much help for GR golf 😉

It looks like Grace Christian Church and Garfield are the two best, closest options, IMO. Grace is a nice track on church grounds. Well kempt and full of amenities. Rolling hills to add some elevation. Garfield is a neighborhood park, shorter with mature trees. Flat and without a porta john, if I remember correctly. I would choose Grace. Played there this fall and really enjoyed it.

I'm headed to Grand Rapids MI for a wedding and have a small window to play a round.

Do you plan to play any courses along the way? Looks like some good ones between Port Huron and Grand Rapids.

Johnson Park is around 15 minutes away, to the west, and probably has the most holes with the most interesting elevation. It's a short course designed in the early '90s, so if you're a big distance guy who loves that aspect of the game, probably the Brewer Park long tees would be your best bet, if it's not too far from your destination. Fallasburg is another great course in the area but that's farther from midtown G.R. than the others.

Johnson and Brewer have been around forever. Lots of history. I talked to a guy a few years ago who used to play the object course there in the '70s!

Johnson Park is around 15 minutes away, to the west, and probably has the most holes with the most interesting elevation. It's a short course designed in the early '90s, so if you're a big distance guy who loves that aspect of the game, probably the Brewer Park long tees would be your best bet, if it's not too far from your destination. Fallasburg is another great course in the area but that's farther from midtown G.R. than the others.

Johnson and Brewer have been around forever. Lots of history. I talked to a guy a few years ago who used to play the object course there in the '70s!
I second these recommendations. Within a 20 min drive from Midtown:
- Johnson Park if you prefer shorter technical holes, elevation, and uniqueness.
- Brewer Park if you want something more open and longer.
- Garfield Park or Jaycee Park if you have kids in tow or something and just want a quick, easy 18 at a well-done course.

All of the above get a lot of traffic on weekends, although I can't imagine you'd be slowed down too much if you arrive by mid morning. If you can stretch it out to a 30-45 minute drive from Midtown, Fallasburg gets my nod (18 holes, + 6 extras that can easily be skipped). Or you could look at Tower Park in Greenville.

Highland Park not great by any stretch, but I live in Midtown & it's very close. Riverside Park is the next closest, much longer/challenging, but tends to get flooded in the spring. I'd check the weather near that time to see how wet it's been. Highland gets muddy in the spring too.

I'd probably lean towards Johnson since it has more interesting elevation changes. May have to get an early start to beat any crowds though. Hope you can sneak in 9 or 18 before your wedding activities. Have a safe trip!

Sounds like a great adventure! Grand Rapids is filled with a mix of attractions. Here are some suggestions for your trip:
Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, if you like beautiful gardens and an impressive collection of sculptures.
Dine in Eastown, if you like unique local cafes.
And if you enjoy wildlife, spend some time at the John Ball Zoo.

Do you plan to play any courses along the way? Looks like some good ones between Port Huron and Grand Rapids.
10+ hour drive...... not sure i wanna add a 18 hole stop into that.
Sunday i'm headed to Detroit for a Red Wings game on Monday so i may play a round at some point Sunday.
Will the Toboggan course be playable in April??? 🤔

Last edited:
Will the Toboggan course be playable in April??? 🤔

Ru4por and Bogey will know for sure, but I think they install baskets for toboggan in summer for the USADGC and DGLO, take them out, then put them back in again for a month in October, which is a newer treat for us. No snow there now, but it is an actual toboggan recreation area in the winter. Otherwise there are a couple of layouts at Kensington (the same park) I haven't played since they replaced the 1990's "tunnel" course. I've heard they're Mark Ellis (forehand) friendly.

I should probably let SE Michigan people tell you what's worth playing nowadays. My expertise expired in about 2002. Back then it was Kensington, Hudson Mills, Cass Benton, Addison Oaks, and River Bends.

Save for Addison (I haven't played it yet), that list is still pretty baller. Both non-Toboggan courses at Kensington are legit, if not right-to-left friendly

-edit- And no, Toboggan will (very much most likely) not be in the ground in April.

Never seen baskets on Toboggan in April.

USADGC is scheduled for Jun 7-9:

Mon, Jun 3: course is closed to all non-tournament players. Course is open to all tournament players and caddies only for practice.

Thu, Jun 6: 9:00am - 6:00pm Players can check-in at Holden's Party Store. Course is typically closed for practice the Thu before rd 1, but the site below doesn't specifically say that.

Fri, Jun 7: Rd 1
Sat, Jun 8: Rd2
Sun, Jun 9: Rd 3

My guess baskets will go in the weekend of May 31- Jun 2nd (Memorial Day weekend at the very earliest). But personally, I wouldn't plan a trip to play it until after the tournament, to be safe.

Last edited:

Latest posts