• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roast me please

Smigles

* Ace Member *
So my club now organises regular trainings and this week we took slow-mo videos of everybodys form.

So yeah, first time in like a decade that i actually look at my form. Please suggest anything that helps me improve distance.

FYI, the drive was around 350 feet, flat line. I can get 330 to 360 with a lot of consistency and angle control and all that jazz, but i really struggle to break 400. I also get 300 out of my mids, so the drivers should fly a little further, no?

Things i notice:
- offhand not doing much
- not a full reachback?
- weird angle in the hip at the point of the release, looks like i am sticking my ass out backwards?
- Elbow not going forwards enough during throw

Agree / disagree? Any hints?

1. Your little wrist flick at the beginning shows that you are trying to flip the disc out like a frisbee rather than leverage it out like pounding a hammer.

2. You are learning away in the x-step and then tipping forward into the plant, rising significantly on the front leg rather than staying compressed until you enter follow through. Your x-step is basically blocking you from loading back all the way into the backswing, and it's more like a brake on your momentum than an accelerator. So you are throwing way too hard to get your 360'. Gotta learn to work with rather than against gravity.

YhaNAvF.png

Mid & driver distance relationship:
There are more variables of course, but usually a mid on an ideal line at ~60mph ejection speed and 330' will be related to getting a driver to ~400' (accounting for trajectory and angle/nose control). Anecdotally I have found the same in the field (I tend to work most with Comets and mellow drivers on hyzerflips). The faster your armspeed, the larger the gap between slow and fast discs tends to get.

dcgssz3.png

Note how your right ear is down so your spine is tipping over your collapsed right hip.
Note how Paul's right ear is up so his spine is braced up on the front leg, note how there is no crease in his front hip.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 6.10.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 6.10.40 PM.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 43
Thank you guys for the replies.

I have unfortunately been ill all week and not in a state to look at all the videos or go out on a field and work on drives. I will do so once i am recovered.

Just one thing i noticed: Brychanus you drew the line in the first two examples to the front foot, but in my video you draw it to the back foot. Was that intentional?

I hope i will be back on my feet this weekend. Worst flu ever.

Thanks for the feedback! And the tons of videos!

yes - your body is tipped away, and your balance is "backwards" as a result. If you watch the power stance and head position videos SW linked there (maybe start with the Pratt power stance one and try that drill), this is fundamentally what is different about Paul and Feldberg from your swing. Also why your head is collapsing forward with your ear going down toward the ground like SW showed.

In general pay more attention to how SW moves in his vids than I do, but watch how my head is balancing over my feet here and flowing or swaying nice and easy, using that balance as a structure to swing from:

https://youtu.be/5Y3Nc02_c_0?t=388