• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rubber Pads - WANTED!

E-Core

I would look to companies that make the rubber product. All the guys at FlyPads do is order rubber and cut it to size and rebrand it as a teepad. It is much cheaper to go straight to the wholesaler if you are buying that sort of quantity. My club picked up a 100' roll of rubber for less than $1000. The company we used was called E-Core although i cant remember the product number we used. They will send you 1'x1' samples if you call and ask.

How about brick tees, like at Pamprin Park, in G.B.? Those need to be done well also; or they can be trouble. The Pamprin crew enclosed them well with a metal form and those are some of the prettiest tees around. The form used also seems to be holding up perfectly and there have been no issues that I've noticed with any maintenance required or upheaval on the tees. Cheapness of said style would of course depend on finding a source of cheap, almost assuredly used brick.

That's a good idea, and yes, they did a great job enclosing the tees at Pamprin Park. Those tees are just fine IMO, although I haven't played there when they've been really wet. Stepping stones often have more of a textured surface than brick so that's another option.

brick tees are cool if you do them right. you have to have a boarder (concrete or railroad beams) or they get all janked up

c9f0168a.jpg

6c9cfe81.jpg

Hard to see in these pictures, but Graceland University in Lamoni, IA has used astro-turf as tees on a couple holes (The white on the edge of the bottom one is one of the yard lines). These things grip the best of any surface I have played on. I've played on this course in the pouring rain and the water just soaks through and is not slipper (probably because it was designed for athletic play in all elements). The astro-turf had been sitting in giant rolls of one of the fairways since the football field was replaced by natural grass (or field turf, can't remember); so they figured they might as well use it. Rumor is that the original field was purchased by the University from the from the New York Jets (one of their practice fields). So if you can get your hands on an old football field that would be my best suggestion.

Bricks are out too - SUPER labor intensive and just as hard as concrete - no hard surfaces on the ski hill. Nothing that could not be fairly easily removed to preserve the natural beauty. I think in Kewaunee county they are so used to the local way of thinsg fading away because of people losing interest and not putting in enough effort. They still don't fully realize what a gem the disc golf course really is! They don't want to give it the dedication it deserves for some reason. Like they keep waiting for it to fail, or to change their minds and move on to something else.

I would have to say that I've come to the conclusion that I like carpet or astro turf tees better than rubber as well. But, they do look pretty tacky. Tim, pm or email Don Ticknor from Osseo to ask him some questions regarding his carpet tees.

I haven't heard back regarding the inside scoop on rubber supplies; but, I'll keep after it.

if i was you, i'd either PM or call the user "Bart", he was in charge of a lot of the groundskeeping for the 2010 world's and he may have some extra rubber pads laying around since they made most of the tees concrete for the worlds.

sheriff-bart_l.jpg

Carpet is not only better than rubber, but cheaper... as in free when you find someone replacing their carpet. I installed carpet over a year ago and it's been great. They need to be framed and leveled. I put a layer of brick dust with mulch on top,then carpet screwed to the frame for a cushioned feel. If they are swept periodically, I think they will last 5 years.
Dark colors look better than light ones.

+1 for the tees at Sugaree. Carpet FTW!

If the rubber tee pads were made from recycled materials, I might have a better opinion of them. Rubber production is counter to the minimum environmental impact of the sport.

I would look to companies that make the rubber product. All the guys at FlyPads do is order rubber and cut it to size and rebrand it as a teepad. It is much cheaper to go straight to the wholesaler if you are buying that sort of quantity. My club picked up a 100' roll of rubber for less than $1000. The company we used was called E-Core although i cant remember the product number we used. They will send you 1'x1' samples if you call and ask.

Searched for e-core and found nothing realted to rubber products. Any other companies out there that sell rolls wholesale (i.e. not branded for disc golf with jacked up prices)?

I'm calling carpet companies too for that outdoor carpeting, color matched to the tee skill level - blue, red, gold.

How have you seen the carpet attached or secured to the ground though where it doesn't tear??????

I've played on all types of pads... rubber is good, but concrete is the way to go.

I hate carpet... no consistency between tees. It wears too easily.

i'm use to everything. at Rogers Lakewood, there's concrete, putting green "grass", brick, rubber, spongy wood with rubber...errything but plain dirt

get astroturf, it comes in sections you could cut into whatever size you need and then when the snow flies just roll em up and store em in you garage for the winter...

Our local course (Morley) has concrete pads in place for a while and over the past few years, they have slowly covered them up with the Flypads. I think they have glued them to the concrete and it has improved on an already good surface. I love these t-pads, but if they weren't glued to concrete, I think they would be a pain.

Frisbee.gif

My vote is to just go with FlyPads. If you think they're "grippy" enough for ALL conditions?!? Do it right the first time... But I really do like the crushed stone thats in place now (when level). That stuff grips like no other!!