• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sacramento CA, and N.O.L.A

superberry

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Guys, I have two trips coming up in May for work - one for a week to Sacramento, and one to a week in New Orleans. I'm looking for suggestions on where to play, and have mostly been looking at just the 4+ rated courses due to time, but am also considering parks that are unique and wooded in town because I may not have a car available. However, if I can book the right flights and get out to Sacramento a day early, I have been eye-balling both Stafford Lake and Peregrine point. Anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated! Anyone wanting to pick up a straggler and go on a day long discin excursion with me? Do you think it's possible to make the rounds and hit some of the 4+ rated courses around Sacramento in a day?

What are the must plays in the minds of Sacramentoans?
How about must plays in NOLA?

As far as Nola, Lafreniere is cool, a little confusing but some interesting shots and something like 24 holes. Havent played the new layout at City Park but I am sure its good.

Those are really your only two options unless you want to cross the lake.

I'll show you around Peregrine Point if you want (though I think Black Butte Lake is a better course).

Anyone from Sacramento interested in picking me up either May 16 or May 21 and playing some golf and drinking some tasty brews? I'd be interested in getting out to throw after work on the days in between as well. Any good microbreweries near or on the way to/from any local courses?

As far as NOLA, yeah I think I'll just play the city courses and enjoy the food.

I will 2nd that Peregrine isn't that special but i'd suggest Skyline in Napa on your way to Stafford!!

I'm definitely down. I'm only about 15 minutes from SMF airport and can pick you up. I've played all the courses in the area and would be happy to chauffeur you around and give you the local tour. There are several microbreweries in the Sacramento area that we could hit up. Also Lagunitas in Petaluma would not be too much of a detour on the way to Stafford Lake. Not sure if you'll have time but Lake Amador in Ione now has 45 holes (27 + 18), and there are 36 holes at New Hogan Lake which is nearby as well. Mollie Joyce in Jackson is not a bad 18 either. If we take a trip to Stafford Lake we should definitely hit up Golden Gate park in San Francisco as well (unless you've already played that). There are several smaller 9's in Sacramento as well that are great for quick rounds after work. I'm actually just about to go hit one up! Let me know what you are thinking and fill me in. I'm down for whatever!

^WTF..... NO love for Finnon. Skyline is right along they way to Stafford and think Tim would like that over Golden Gate.(Don't get me wrong I like Golden Gate)I pretty sure the Napa Roll with both impress and perhaps frustrate him. After all he did design Winter park, so the man loves elevation change.

Also, the 2 main 18 hole courses in the Sac metro area are Shady Oaks in Orangevale and Rocklin DGC in Rocklin. Both are good courses, but get really crowded and often with derelicts. I play them often, but if time is an issue there are better courses a little further away with less traffic. Finnon Lake outside of Placerville is a challenging course with lots of elevation and long holes. I kinda think of Finnon as Stafford's little brother, but the two are similar in terms of difficulty. There also are nice 18s in Auburn, Grass Valley, and Penn Valley, as well as a nice 9 in Browns Valley if you wanted to take a trip that direction. As Shuie said Napa also has a great course and is right on the way to Stafford Lake from Sac.

Hazer, you had me at LaGunitas! My brain needs to get stoopified with some goodness directly from the tap, and Stafford Lake looks pretty cool, plus anything along the way or near there is all good. I'm up for whatever. Playing a local city course with derelicts beats sitting in the hotel at a conference.

I'm still ironing out my schedule but it looks like I will be flying Saturday (maybe Friday), have all day Sunday free, and have Wednesday afternoon free to maybe hit those parks with multiple courses on the southeast side of town. I'm staying right by Capital Square Park and already found 4 microbreweries in walking distance. Looks like a conference I can't pass up. Now I just need to decide what discs to bring!

Just FYI Stafford will be about 2.5-3 hours drive from SacTown, more if traffic is bad. Stafford will also take 4-5 hours to play the round, so you're looking at a 10 hour day already. If I were you, I'd just hit Auburn and Rocklin on the free day. If you want to get out of town I'd hit Lagoon Valley DGC in Vacaville, that course is fun.

As for NOLA, the courses aren't great honestly. City Park itself is a beautiful park, but the course is so-so. You will definitely need a car in Louisiana in general. Don't play lafreniere on a weekend, it's in the middle of a multi-use park. You could do both in a day during the week if you have a vehicle, but try to get a local to show you around. Baton Rouge is an hour away, and I think Highland Road (even in its disrepair) and Flanacher are better courses than City Park and Lafreniere.

^ lol.... More like 3 hours. 27 holes with a few bomber holes takes a bit 9 time but no 5 hours.

Yes I must respectfully disagree with JTacoma03 on the time. Google Map it; the drive from Sacramento to Stafford Lake Park in Novato is 1h20m without traffic and I've done it in less than that. If we hit bad traffic 2h at the absolute most. Stafford is a beast of a course but if it's just two of us I would say 3 hours tops; Shuie and I have done it in less.

Squirrel Creek in Grass Valley would be one to hit for sure. Hanging Oaks is about 30 minute drive on the 20. Plus if you're done with those two, turn onto the 49 and then head to Auburn DGC. That trip from the 20/49 interchange is about 45 minutes.

^That's a fun day of golf and you could hit up Auburn Ale house their Hoptomotist is pretty tasty.

If you're making a road trip, you could also look in the direction of Tahoe. Bijou, Zephyr, Tahoe Vista and Sierra College are some great courses. Sierra is currently only a 3.8 ish rated course, but that's because of early reviews where the trails and tee signs weren't in. Should easily be a mid 4 rated course and is one of the best in Tahoe.

Fun sounding day one...
Finnon
Napa
Stafford Lake
Golden Gate

Fun sounding day two
Hogan Dam
The other Lake complex near there

Possibly grass valley and others on another day???

Looks like I'll be landing Friday at 330, free Saturday after 10am, free all Sunday, free Wednesday after 1130am, and fying out early Thursday.

That first Saturday you are here we can certainly hit up Napa, Stafford Lake, and Golden Gate, but Finnon is in the foothills so quite a ways in the opposite direction and will likely have to be saved for another day.

That Sunday we could play New Hogan Dam (two 18's) and Lake Amador (South course is 27 holes [possibly only 18 that time of year due to campers] & the North course is 18). That's a good day of golf, but if we get going early and play at a quick pace there is a chance we could squeeze in Finnon afterwards.

For that Wednesday you are off early I can take a half day and we could hit up Auburn, Squirrel Creek (Grass Valley), and Hanging Oaks (Penn Valley).

If you're free at all during the afternoon that Monday and Tuesday we could play Rocklin, Shady Oaks (Orangevale), and/or Sunrise (new course in Citrus Heights on a ball golf course - check out my review!). There's also a shorter nine near downtown (McClatchy) that is great for night rounds (it's allowed and well lit up so no need for glow plastic or LEDs). Carmichael also has a shorter 9 that is good for night rounds, but McClatchy is the better of the 2 in my opinion (more technical and great for safari).

We'll definitely get some good golf in while you are here!

As for NOLA, the courses aren't great honestly. City Park itself is a beautiful park, but the course is so-so. You will definitely need a car in Louisiana in general. Don't play lafreniere on a weekend, it's in the middle of a multi-use park. You could do both in a day during the week if you have a vehicle, but try to get a local to show you around. Baton Rouge is an hour away, and I think Highland Road (even in its disrepair) and Flanacher are better courses than City Park and Lafreniere.

JT gave you a good general run down. Here are my tweaks and additions.

The new City Park layout is a definite upgrade and makes for a solid round. It's accessible via the red street car that runs on Canal St and a short walk. This'll be your go to.

I've always enjoyed Lafreniere but it's not convenient to get to from down town (~20 min drive). Probably not worth the effort, especially with the new and improved City Park layout.

Baton Rouge is more like an hour and a half from NOLA and Flanacher is 10-15 min beyond that. Flanacher is the closest 4 disc course in my opinion. Super challenging with some real unique hole designs. Not life changing but worth the drive if you can swing it.

Feel free to drop me a line. I'd be happy to catch a round with you or at the very least give some eating recommendations, of which there are many.

Latest posts