• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient HELIX Bag

I often wear Dickies work shorts when I play, and they have a little side pocket for a phone. It is lower than typical pockets and toward the back of the leg a bit more than cargo pockets, and I find holding a mini in it to be auite unobtrusive. I usually forget it's there.

That's pretty funny I always wear the same exact shorts. That pocket works great for a mini. Also guys as this bag does not have a "mini pocket" but it has plenty of really easy accesible places that will fit a mini just fine. I believe with the other great bag features you will forget that it does not have a mini pocket.

I guess im so into the mini pocket cause I dislike having anything in my pockets when I play.

Same here.
Don't like things in my pant pocket when I play, but a mini pocket would not make or break a decision about a bag.
I'm happy with the bag I've got (not a Salient), but I'll always wish you guys the best as long as you are honest with your customers.

Same here.
Don't like things in my pant pocket when I play, but a mini pocket would not make or break a decision about a bag.
I'm happy with the bag I've got (not a Salient), but I'll always wish you guys the best as long as you are honest with your customers.

Thank you for your support DiscJunkie it means a lot.

Every bag over $20 should have a mini pocket.
I like multi use pockets as well. But a mini pocket is such a small and easy to do thing, i dunno why anyone would not put one on the bag, makes no sense.

Does your bag have a phone pocket/slot thing?

GRIP doesnt have a mini pocket.

what about those little flaps on the sides in front of the drink holders? I put my minis in there.

Raise your hand if you carry your mini on your person during a round.

*raises hand*

One in my pocket, a few spares in the bag. The little pouch in front of the rainfly spot works fine on the grip. Same with the side pockets as bender mentioned.
A dedicated mini pocket probably isn't necessary with multi function pockets available.

I wanted to show more of the bag to you guys because I appreciate the support you have given me over the past few months. I really wanted to show you guys the color interior which I think looks pretty cool.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I do want to point out and be honest and up front with you guys. If you look at the opening for the main in my post above that zipper comes down and meets that stretch pocket on the front. That is the production model. The sample below that main is slightly smaller in height. We made it taller in the production to make it even easier to get discs out. Just wanted to show you the difference.

picture.php

Last edited:
I am curious about that too^ or other brands as well how it differentiates...
GRIP site really lacks any content-- How does a person know anything about the actual bag besides:

improvements such as:

• reinforced zipper gussets at high-intensity use locations
• intended use identification labels
• pre-formed pocket substructures
• enhanced standup stabilization
• serialized internal bag identification numbers
• dream course topo graphics

The Grip EQ A14 Tour Bag continues to elevate the standards by which all Disc Golf Bags are measured. The level of utility and product durability the A14 delivers is truly unparalleled and made possible by our passion for utility-centered design and manufacturing excellence.

What a bunch of smoke and mirrors lol.

At least they list some specs for the Discmania tour bag:
Features
•21+ disc capacity
•9.5L (580 cubic in) storage for clothing
•Carries two 32 oz. water bottles
•Aquavail(TM) rainfly system
•Improved Torsoform(TM) strap system
•Quiver pocket for easy access to your putters
•Easy access to main disc compartment
•2x thicker padding
•Refined shape for more stability on uneven ground
•Best materials in the world

Last edited:
Honest question: how is this better than a Grip bag?

Honestly I do not like saying that our bag is better than another bag because for 1 I work for Salient so I do believe people will take my comments as biased towards Salient. That's my biggest reason to not compare. I personally believe that bags these days have a lot to do with personal preference. I will give some of my personal preferences though.

Let me first start by saying the grip bag is a great bag for sure. I personally like a bag a bit wider. The main compartment in the Helix is around 4 drivers wider which is about perfect for me. I will list some things that are different but I want it known I am just pointing out differences and I will let the players decide what is better.

Like I said above the main pocket is about 4 drivers wider. Internally the bag is lined with 1000d. The side pockets which I had a local player comment on zip from top to bottom instead of a 3/4 zip which I think I have seen on other models. Are price point is a bit lower but I believe the build quality on this bag is the best we have produced to date. The center rail on the bottom is nice because it lets the bag rock from front to back depending on the slope of the ground.

These are just a few things that are different. As i said a lot of stuff is personal preference these days in the disc golf world and I honestly believe all the players that try the Helix will be pleasantly surprised.

GRIP doesnt have a mini pocket.

Not sure how that is relevant.
When i owned a Grip, i put my mini in the front pouch thing or the outer small side pocket that i believe is intended for putting the legs of a stool of the end of your umbrella in. It fit nicely.

Bag looks nice btw.

Back to the mini pocket, it wouldnt be make or break for me either. I just feel like on the new breed of bag we've seen over the last 4-5 years, that the 'standard' features should include a place to put all the things you need to play a round of disc golf competitively at the very least. So, discs, mini, scorecard. Everything else being secondary and optional. Cushy straps, drink holders (plural, because one drink holder on a bag that holds more than a handful of discs is just f-ing stupid), pockets for accessories of various sizes, rainfly, waterproof or otherwise protected bottom, carry handle for short walks, a clip for keys in an interior pocket etc.

I feel like if you're gonna pay for a higher capacity bag, all those things should probably be standard. Bag makers that want to be different and have a unique product should not be different and unique by subtracting from that list.

right, better is subjective but how it is unique or what ever specs you guys are advertising as selling points I guess is my biggest question.

I don't see why people are comparing this to a Grip anyway. With the increased capacity, this looks like it would compete with a Prodiscus bag and/or a Mahal.

It is a great looking bag. Definitely liking the blue.

I don't see why people are comparing this to a Grip anyway. With the increased capacity, this looks like it would compete with a Prodiscus bag and/or a Mahal.

It is a great looking bag. Definitely liking the blue.

I believe every bag that comes out now is compared to a GRIP which is fine because I believe that is what people know the most about. The thing is I wont compare the bags I can only tell you about our bag. Lets just try and chat about the Helix and the features and looks of the bag.

Yeah pretty much. What are the highlights of this bag?

-3 Rails for added base support.
-Protective waterproof rainfly.
-Top pocket is felt lined to keep expensive items protected from getting scratched.
-Full length zippers on the side pockets.
-The go get it slot on the front of the bag for easy access to your go to discs or your putters.
-Wider main compartment for added disc storage.
-Built in carrying handle on the straps for those short walks in between holes or shots.
-2 Water bottle holders that also have drains built into the bottom of them.
-The inside of the bag matches the colored portion of the outside. So the inside of the bag will either be blue, red, or grey.
-Preorder price of $185 shipped to your door by the fine employees at Disc Nation.

And I know I missed a bunch of other stuff I am sure.

Latest posts