• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

saucer golf target

XCyclone

Double Eagle Member
Anyone ever throw a round with these targets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP0e6EuTYWQ

From the comments on the vid, it looks like these are old school targets form the '70s. They look like the most unforgiving baskets invented!

I really like their design. If you hit your putt dead center it will drop right into the basket. I can't see them lasting a long time, though, getting dents on the cone and rusting away.

Interesting to see what some of the original targets looked like and that they have held up so well over time. It looks like you need to use a loftier type of putt from watching the players.

CHEERS - Koffee

That was Moir Park in Bloomington, MN with putters in order: Jumpin' Joe Feidt (editor of PDGA DiscGolfer magazine), Lightnin' Lyle Jensen (co-founder of Minnesota Frisbee Association in 1975) and Chris "Bangstad" Enstad, a long time top MN player who's been mostly retired from PDGA competition for the past 12 years or so.

I've played on those baskets. There is a tiny (and by tiny, I mean the longest hole is about 95ft) 9 hole course at a lake here in OK. They are interesting to say the least.

As Chuck knows there are a few courses here in Mn that still have cones. I've always felt that with some small modifications they would be better than chains, except without that satisfying chain sound.

Isnt the area where the disc stays in much smaller than in the chain baskets ? I also dislike the fact that they are hard. It must be like throwing a putter into a wall. Chains give in at least a little bit.

If some sort of metal or hi-tech fabric mesh could encapsulate the chains, the basket might work like an improved version of the saucer cones. Plus, the baskets would have nubs which most players realize are a benefit rather than a nuisance after playing baskets like the cones which don't have them.

Played that course the other day. I have to say that I despise those targets. If you are looking to improve your putting accuracy I'd recommend them as the sweet spot is TINY. The sound isn't nearly as satisfying as chains.

I'd love to play a round or 3 with those things. It looks like all you got to do is hit the underside and it knocks your putter into the basket. Maybe a bigger version would be friendlier, tho.

Chuck Kennedy said:
If some sort of metal or hi-tech fabric mesh could encapsulate the chains, the basket might work like an improved version of the saucer cones. Plus, the baskets would have nubs which most players realize are a benefit rather than a nuisance after playing baskets like the cones which don't have them.

I thought about that when playing a 1 dayer this weekend that had a traveler as one of the baskets. Those things catch so well for what they are. Even a metal chainmail type mesh would not withstand the elements on a permanent course.

I learned to play disc golf at that course. My first ace was on a saucer basket at Hansen park too. I wouldn't trade chain baskets for saucers, but I do have a bit of a soft spot for those things. They're certainly unforgiving of poor putts, but they're more likely to stop a shot dead that would have been 40 feet over.