• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should PDGA change MPO to MPD?

This is a good start to fix a huge issue with disc golf.
Uneven competition due to lack of structure.
Hoping this expands to am divisions asap.

This is a good start to fix a huge issue with disc golf.
Uneven competition due to lack of structure.
Hoping this expands to am divisions asap.

Elsewhere, people are complaining about too much structure.

In the meantime, around here tournaments are proliferating so fast they're squeezing the calendar, and filling with waiting lists. I guess anything that discourages players, would help with that huge issue.

Elsewhere, people are complaining about too much structure.

In the meantime, around here tournaments are proliferating so fast they're squeezing the calendar, and filling with waiting lists. I guess anything that discourages players, would help with that huge issue.

Same here. More than once in the past few years local TDs have battled to get a date for their event.
The "high speed driver at 10 paces " fight was fun to watch.

GUTS with Destroyers?

We might be able to get some PPV monies off of that

-edit- Not to mention fewer TDs trying to crowd the calendar

I hadn't thought of this angle, so I've read up a bit. You're right that collegiate sports (in the US) have to be amateur. But, and I didn't know this myself, the Olympics have allowed professionals since 1986! Boxing and wrestling held out for a bit and wouldn't allow pros to compete in the professional Olympics, but boxing caved in 2016.

Interesting article about the change.
https://www.rulesofsport.com/faq/can-professional-compete-in-the-olympics.html

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I myself had the same thought! Olympics have really diversified since then. And, thanks for referring me this informative post

Regards,

If we are talking about renaming divisions, I feel very strongly that Novice should be renamed Casual. Novice sounds degrading to someone who has played for a couple of years even if they are still only 820 rated. Simply changing the name will significantly increase participation in that division and will improve the spread of players throughout all divisions.

No one ever signs up for Novice in our tourneys. i question if they even should have this division to tell you the truth.

No one ever signs up for Novice in our tourneys. i question if they even should have this division to tell you the truth.

We do pretty well with Novice numbers, but they are generally a cesspool of overachieving players. Too often, a "novice" scores put him in contention for much higher divisions. If a TD could somehow ensure it is truly a beginner division, I think it has merit.

We do pretty well with Novice numbers, but they are generally a cesspool of overachieving players. Too often, a "novice" scores put him in contention for much higher divisions. If a TD could somehow ensure it is truly a beginner division, I think it has merit.

Yeah, no adult who's been playing more than a year should sign up for Novice/MA4.
That just ain't right.

I've talked about this on another forum, but....

Almost all of our tourney's around here don't offer novice. I've played a couple of years, but I've never played a tourney or a league or even a dubs. Looking at local results on courses that I know and seeing the top of Rec putting up 950+ rounds and sometimes taking 2's on 450+ ft holes is a bit of a deterrent from getting my feet wet.

The look of horror on some of the peoples faces I know when I sign up for intermediate is always a good laugh. These are guys who aren't going to win novice to begin with(neither will I). I don't see the difference really, either way you aren't going to win a division no one cares about. You also have to sign up for novice quick, around here it sells out long before any other division.

I've been playing for a long time and have slid down to MA4 as I spend much more time running events than playing. Novice is a misnomer. That's why for our events (where we regularly have 20-30 players in MA4) we call it Am IV.

I've talked about this on another forum, but....

Almost all of our tourney's around here don't offer novice. .

Same here.....I have never seen a novice division offered or I'll sign up for that instead of MA3. I've been playing for 1 1/2 years and my rating is 619....best I've ever had was 652. I'm just bad (mainly inconsistent). Working hard on getting better....but when I play MA3...I'm the DFL player.

I'm having a great time playing, probably the happiest, crappy (inconsistent) player...but that's the way it goes sometimes.