• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SkittleBomb technique thread

That's why I said that nobody would have guessed :) I just saw that glycerin was the main ingredient in punky colour... so I went for something the same consistency. At first... I just put it on there all sloppy and then washed it off leaving thearly streaky looking drizzle look. The hairdryer came in to play later on.

For goose sharing his detailed technique info!

giphy.gif

Do you think coconut oil might work instead of lard? I have coconut oil and don't have any lard.

I tried with coconut oil and it didn't work as anticipated. The problem is that coconut oil turns more into a paste and didn't want to melt when I put the hair dryer heat on it. Instead of being pushed around like melted butter like lard might be, it was pushing the paste around as a solid causing it to go off the disc.

I imagine that it may be possible to use coconut oil for paste dyes. In my experience there needs to be a little more liquid/dye than coconut oil. That may have been part of my problem with some ofy colors. The only color that took was the one that had a little more dye in it and was a little "runny".

Edit: I failed to mention that if someone decides to experiment with coconut oil they might need to put it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds after it has congealed to make it more of a liquid.

Last edited:
I'm having a tough time visualizing this one. The results look amazing though. I have a white star bottom stamp Roc3 i want to try this on but I am nervous that I might ruin the disc.

Hah.... I forgot about this thread.

Coconut oil- Not quite sure what the melting point is on that... (Looking it up now).

Ok... here is a list of melting points of oils. The melting point is the important part for this... too low of a melting point, and the oil will be liquid at room temperature. Too high of a melting point, and you will need a flame thrower (not just a blowdryer) to get it to melt. The second most important part is what the consistency of the oil is when you do melt it. Sounds like coconut oil is a no go because A- too low of a melting point and B- Poor consistency.

Oil Melting Temperature (oC)
Cocoa butter 34
Coconut Oil 25
Cotton Seed Oil -1
Lard 41

By looking at this chart, Coconut oil is in the middle of basically being liquid almost at room temperature. Cocoa Butter might be a little better. Lard requires much more heat to melt... but not a flame thrower.

I'm really interested in the opposite side now, though. The important part is the transition between states of matter. So, looks like you could do cotton seed oil at room temp, and then throw it up in the freezer.

Hope this helps!!!

I wish i could see a video of this technique, is the lard dye mixture frozen when you put it on the disc? Do you put it all over the disc or just use the blowdryer to move around. Some of the disc you have on your site our beautiful almost looks like a sky at sunset. Did you use this technique for that?

I wish i could see a video of this technique, is the lard dye mixture frozen when you put it on the disc? Do you put it all over the disc or just use the blowdryer to move around. Some of the disc you have on your site our beautiful almost looks like a sky at sunset. Did you use this technique for that?

Frozen: No- just a solid state at room temp.

Put all over the disc: No- Just a couple of blobs- then blowdry it (this turns it to liquid). It then kind of smears around the disc. Occasionally, you will need to blend around the edges to cover the white of the disc.

Sky at sunset: Yes, this is the technique that I used for that. Sometimes it just blends perfectly. Not every disc will be perfect to your liking, but they are all unique.