• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Slower Midranges

RebelZero

Par Member
I started playing over ten years ago and then got out of it for a while. Over the last 5 years I've jumped back in. Back in the day, I usually threw Buzzzes for main midranges, complementing them with Meteors when I needed US shots.

When I got back into disc golf, Trilogy was making a big splash. I've always been sort of addicted to plastic, so I got a bunch of their stuff, some of which has stayed in the bag for years.

Verdicts, Truths, and Fuses have been the core of my midrange lineup. After throwing Buzzzes for so long, those discs felt very similar but they were faster. My Emac Truth goes damn near as far as my fairways.

Lately, this has evolved into a problem. I'm having trouble ranging faster midranges and, as I'm "enjoying" my late 40s, sometimes I have issues getting them up to speed. The arm ain't what it used to be.

I've always thrown slower discs well. When I got on a Roc just right, it was always money. But I never liked the feel of it. The bead was too big and the dome threw me off. Eventually, I realized the feel of flatter discs with lower profiles was very comfortable for me. Hence the Verdict, Truth, and Fuse. Pretty flat, low-profile discs and the beads were either micro or absent.

But now I feel maybe I should transition to some slower midranges to get back into the sweet spot (and give my old arm a break). I've been loving Suspects for the last couple years but I use them more for approach shots than anything else.

Any advice on this? Everything seems to be leaning more toward speed these days. Instead of 4-speed midranges, 7-speed fairways, and 9-speed distance drivers, it's 5- and 6-speed mids, 8- and 9-speed fairways, and 13- and 14-speed distance. I don't carry anything over 9-speed because that's my max.

I just got a Wasp and a Comet in the mail today. The bead on the Wasp doesn't seem to bother me so maybe it's dome I really don't like. The Wasp is pretty flat so it feels comfy.

The Comet also has a bead but it's much more domey. Doesn't feel as good in my hand.

I still have several Buzzzes, which still feel great in my hand, but the Buzzz is certainly more driver-like. It may not be as fast as a Truth but it's pretty speedy.

What sort of combo sounds good for slow-throwing?

Most of the people in the Comet lovers thread have admitted that they hated the Comet at first. If you give it a chance, it might become your favorite disc :cool:

All my recommendations For slower mids have beads. Most of the beadless mids are newer, faster molds and that's what you were auditioning against. Sorry.

Last edited:
After handling the Wasp, I feel like I might be okay with the bead, as long as the profile is sorta low. I dig flatter discs.

So recommend away.

One that some of my slower armed friends like is the Yikun Tomahawk. It's an overmold no bead mid that is fairly understable and will not fade hardly at all.

I have only found use for it when I was fatigued, but could get 250 out of it with a wrist flick.

Have you tried throwing any of the "faster" putters? Seems like there are a bunch of low profile throwing putters now.

That's a good thought actually. Something like a Proxy would be good maybe?

If you can find DD suspects, they are pretty nice in that tweener fast putter short mid.

The Suspect is one of my favorite discs. I use them for a wide variety of shots. Since I heard they were going OOP, I ordered a ****load. I think I have 13 of them now.

I going to throw out another option - Innova Mako3. Yes, it's a 5 speed but it flies straight even at lower speed. As a bonus it is very comfortable in the hand.

Is the Mako3 about the same speed as the Buzzz? More like a driver than a traditional mid?

A Westside Gatekeeper might be worth a look. It has that medium stability, pretty slow, very workable.

This is on my list. I have one coming in the next couple of days.

For slower mid, I would highly recommend the Aurora MS, if you want something nice and neutral without a bead.

The Göte is a good slow mid as well, but beaded.

You can try out some if the faster putters as others have mentioned. Most of my favorites are beaded, but the shaman in diamond plastic makes for a nice line shaping thrower that isn't terribly us.

I started playing over ten years ago and then got out of it for a while. Over the last 5 years I've jumped back in. Back in the day, I usually threw Buzzzes for main midranges, complementing them with Meteors when I needed US shots.

When I got back into disc golf, Trilogy was making a big splash. I've always been sort of addicted to plastic, so I got a bunch of their stuff, some of which has stayed in the bag for years.

Verdicts, Truths, and Fuses have been the core of my midrange lineup. After throwing Buzzzes for so long, those discs felt very similar but they were faster. My Emac Truth goes damn near as far as my fairways.

Lately, this has evolved into a problem. I'm having trouble ranging faster midranges and, as I'm "enjoying" my late 40s, sometimes I have issues getting them up to speed. The arm ain't what it used to be.

I've always thrown slower discs well. When I got on a Roc just right, it was always money. But I never liked the feel of it. The bead was too big and the dome threw me off. Eventually, I realized the feel of flatter discs with lower profiles was very comfortable for me. Hence the Verdict, Truth, and Fuse. Pretty flat, low-profile discs and the beads were either micro or absent.

But now I feel maybe I should transition to some slower midranges to get back into the sweet spot (and give my old arm a break). I've been loving Suspects for the last couple years but I use them more for approach shots than anything else.

Any advice on this? Everything seems to be leaning more toward speed these days. Instead of 4-speed midranges, 7-speed fairways, and 9-speed distance drivers, it's 5- and 6-speed mids, 8- and 9-speed fairways, and 13- and 14-speed distance. I don't carry anything over 9-speed because that's my max.

I just got a Wasp and a Comet in the mail today. The bead on the Wasp doesn't seem to bother me so maybe it's dome I really don't like. The Wasp is pretty flat so it feels comfy.

The Comet also has a bead but it's much more domey. Doesn't feel as good in my hand.

I still have several Buzzzes, which still feel great in my hand, but the Buzzz is certainly more driver-like. It may not be as fast as a Truth but it's pretty speedy.

I like the Putter type slow mid, The Shark, that mold flied like putter. Champion Shark 3 then is the tick faster and to me Good OS Buzz like disc that flies like a true midrange. The Shark 3 is still same flight numbers after the speed one but are not the same kind of glide, as the Shark has more putter float and the Shark 3 is more floating glide. The Champion Shark 3 mold will not dump as hard as a Buzz OS but still have enough wind fight. You might have to get a Shark 3 from the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop online in the Factory Second part of the Store, Mold either is getting replaced by the Lion which from seeing fight of the Champion Lion Online, is nearly the same as Champion Shark 3, or just came out needing to be Factory second.

Last edited:
After watching Goat Hill and seeing what Philo Brathwaite does with simple DX Rocs, I want to give those another look.

I love Philo's game man, he's definitely the golfer I'm trying to model my game after. His in the bag from a couple years ago really got me on board with mold minimization and keeping it simple. Just 4 molds in various stages of wear. Really enjoy his commentary on the goat hill coverage, seems like every 5 minutes he was dropping another knowledge bomb.

Here's his in the bag

https://youtu.be/chbbQ91HLZ4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I I've always thrown slower discs well. When I got on a Roc just right, it was always money. But I never liked the feel of it. The bead was too big and the dome threw me off. Eventually, I realized the feel of flatter discs with lower profiles was very comfortable for me. Hence the Verdict, Truth, and Fuse. Pretty flat, low-profile discs and the beads were either micro or absent.

I agree in the buzzz being more driver like. It's funny that people compare the buzzz and roc all the time, but I think they are really different. The roc flies like a putter that can handle as much power as you can give it. Really more similar to a wizard than a buzzz.

If you were dialed in with the roc but didn't like the feel, why not just try to find a dx roc with a better feel, rather than looking for a new mold? OTB has dx rocs for 8 bucks and they describe the exact disc you are buying, so you can get one that is listed as flat rather than domey. Another option is to go to play it again sports, I find rocs in their used bin all the time.
I'm a slow thrower and have tried lots of mids, and nothing compares to a dx roc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my recommendations For slower mids have beads. Most of the beadless mids are newer, faster molds and that's what you were auditioning against. Sorry.

Just to add a little bit of insight on this:

The bead on older, slower mids was to slow the speed of the disc wearing out in DX plastic (which is what they were designed for). So, with the introduction of premium plastics, beads became less necessary - so started the era of the Buzzz. Of course, there are still modern mids with beads: wasp, bard, vector, ghost (basically just a roc), warrior, etc...they are out there. This actually makes me realize how little I know about modern midranges, if that's all I can name off the top of my head...

You could just get a comet and call it a day :thmbup:

Last edited:
After watching Goat Hill and seeing what Philo Brathwaite does with simple DX Rocs, I want to give those another look.

I watched the final of Goat Hill last night and thought the same thing. I carry XT Rocs, but will definitely have some DX on order the next time I buy anything.

I'll agree with some of the earlier posts about throwing putters for that slower mid you're looking for. In fact, when I first started throwing the Envy it overlapped so much with my mids that I didn't even bag any mids for a little while. I'm not a big power, distance thrower by any means but these days just about any shot under 250' and I'm probably throwing a putter. I definitely find getting the distance right on a putter for me is easier than a mid.

For a faster putter kind of mid, I was about to put a Pure back in my bag. I don't think it will overlap with my Spiders (tiny bead) and only on really good days can I throw the Nova out to those distances.
I did use a Verdict too for a while, but I felt I had more control with slower fairway drivers that I'd been throwing for about a decade.