• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] star discs

fbj2361

Bogey Member
ok so i just got some more money and instead of dx and pro d discs im going to get star discs what are the best star discs..............?

Most of the popular molds come in star plastic, if you ask this you're going to get a grab bag of random suggestions. Tell people what you liked in dx. If you liked it chances are you will like it in star.

Your throw improves the more you play (usually) so any subtle differences in stability will work themselves out in time and since the star is more durable than dx you'll get a lot of play out of it.

how good are you (what do you shoot for an average round at the courses you play most...and tell us which course), are the courses you generally play wooded or open, what is your average driving distance (real numbers not internet D), how far are your approaches from the pin on average, are you FH or BH, and what is currently in your bag as your primary Driver and Mid.

answer these and someone will probably be able to help you out a lot more, but Star does not make t the disc better and it doesn't make you a better player

Yea, I've pretty much found that Star flies about the same for me as the other plastics....so if you really feel the need to upgrade, then do it with the discs you normally throw

I'm sorry but this question is just funny "what are the best star discs".

It should be about the mold, not the plastic. Like others have said, get the discs you like, just in star plastic lol

Star tends to be pricey, so try the molds you know first....

Just curious, but why Star in the first place if you dont know what mold you want?

While I agree the question is pretty poor I'll disagree with the idea you can just get what you like in DX. Star plastic doesn't beat in the same way DX does. I love DX Teebirds and I love Star Teebirds, but I've found that a Star TL behaves much more similarly to a beat DX Teebird than a Star Teebird. Premium plastics have far more stability that doesn't dissipate as quickly and when it finally does it loses stability in different parts of the flight. The low speed stability gets beaten out of DX Teebird where as the high speed stability gets beaten out of Star Teebird. You'll find a lot of players who can't throw very far using very understable premium plastic discs (like the Roadrunner and Sidewinder) for straight shots rather than the turnover style shots their DX counterparts do so easily.

I've had Star TeeBirds and they're nothing like Champ or DX when it comes to glide. Somehow my bag has become almost completely devoid of Star plastic with the exception of one beat up Sidewinder I use for turnovers. I've heard Star Wraiths are really nice. I was going to get one of those and instead happened upon a DX one that I'm throwing the hell out of right now. (I wish it would stay this way forever)

I guess my point is, the most expensive discs out there aren't necessarily the best. You have to find what works for you!

I carry star Beasts, Coyotes, and Tee-birds. Keep in mind that star plastic is not uniform. My Star Tee-bird, traded from the marketplace here, is very grippy and my Coyote and Beast are much harder and less grippy, more like a champion/star mix.

try the discs that you liked in the low grade plastics. most discs come in star and it's just a more durable type of plastic.

I started with all DX, and eventually started buying star and champ of the discs I played most with. I first started getting champs and stars because they stand up to damage a lot better. Once you start playing with them a ton you really get to know how the same mold in different plastics will fly. I keep the dx's handy though. They are great for holes with a lot plants to get lost in or water holes.

I'll bite, try a star TL.

Absolutely love my Star TL to death! In general though, I kind of prefer high end plastic, i.e. Star and FLX for my midrange discs as I know that they will take more of a beating then my drivers will and hold up longer. Some discs just don't do well in Star, such as the Avair.

Absolutely love my Star TL to death! In general though, I kind of prefer high end plastic, i.e. Star and FLX for my midrange discs as I know that they will take more of a beating then my drivers will and hold up longer. Some discs just don't do well in Star, such as the Avair.

Love my Star TL as well. Same experience with Star Aviar, I bought it to do a dye on it, but I don't like it very much. My old beat up dx Aviar does the trick just fine.

I bought a Star Dart without ever throwing one and I love it for puttin'. With that said I also bought a Star Xcal, Star Boss and Star San Marino Roc without ever throwing any of those molds as well. I have a teerex in dx so i figure the Xcal is pretty much the same just one number higher in speed and glide. With the Xcal, Roc and Dart my game has improved big time. I can usually par every hole with a few birdies and bonehead bogeys. I love the star plastic

I'm not recommending these over other molds/plastics, but I throw the following in Star:

Gator
Stingray
Leopard
Firebird
Wraith
Valkyrie

I like the star teebird for hyzer shots. I use my other teebird for straighter shots with less fade. The echo star ones start off with even more stability but break in nicely I've heard. Mines still pretty new though, so ill have to wait and see about that.

Latest posts