• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starting Out With 150g

Not sure what your point is, granted there is the occasional player who can throw hyzer from the start and turn over everything, but that is rare and at that point I would hope someone would recognize his natural talent and get a pro mentoring him or her very quickly.

But for the typical new player, it's simply better to start with lighter, understable discs so they learn to throw the hyzer early on which is the most natural release to throw a disc. And from there progression is made by slowly moving up to more stable, heavier discs.

Throwing a max-weight Nuke OS on a hyzer with a crapload of OAT and getting it to flip doesn't mean I should "progress" to something more overstable.

Throwing a max-weight Nuke OS on a hyzer with a crapload of OAT and getting it to flip doesn't mean I should "progress" to something more overstable.

I haven't seen that in players new to the sport....ever. But I have seen it in players about 6 months or more into playing disc golf where they were never taught from the start what they were doing wrong. And that's what we're talking about btw, helping someone from the start, from the very...first....throw. And anyone who gives someone "a max-weight Nuke OS" to throw for the first time..... :sick: :gross: lol...

I haven't seen that in players new to the sport....ever. But I have seen it in players about 6 months or more into playing disc golf where they were never taught from the start what they were doing wrong. And that's what we're talking about btw, helping someone from the start, from the very...first....throw. And anyone who gives someone "a max-weight Nuke OS" to throw for the first time..... :sick: :gross: lol...

Then I'm confused why you would suggest exactly that:

If I could force a drill on beginners who want to take this game seriously I would tell them to purchase the heaviest overstable discs.

Then, you would tell them that progress is getting each disc to turn over.

Then I'm confused why you would suggest exactly that:.

Not sure if you're intentionally editing my comments to troll me or just wasting my time, or perhaps you are a bit confused because as shown earlier in the thread, this is my original comment:

If I could force a drill on beginners who want to take this game seriously, I would tell them to purchase a stack of discs, ranging from the lightest understable discs to the heaviest overstable discs. And tell them..."Start with the lightest disc. When you can release it on a slight hyzer and it flips over and goes to the right, move on to the next disc."

Care to respond at all?

The rest of the spectrum of discs you would force on beginners and other things in that post were irrelevant to my point, so I omitted them for the sake of simplicity and brevity.

I did this on accident. I liked the feel/look of a disc and bought it for my first disc.
it was a beat up, flat old 150g champ sidewinder.
still love that disc.
once I started flipping it over and understanding that my form was still pretty clean, I moved on.

my second disc was a 175g star sidewinder. It has become my favorite disc. That's how I would do it. start with a disc you bond with for whatever reason, then move on to a more stable version of it.

Hi. This is my first post. I am starting out as a beginner, using all 150g discs as I bought the innova starter kit.

I was wondering how will I know when its time to get heavier discs? Should I only use one weight or can I mix them?

What are the advantages of using heavier discs? Do they go farther?

Thanks!

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk