• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

Just use the universal answer, available to anyone posting on any thread regarding the best courses/places/states/cities/etc.:

"Here"

I built a slight amount of positive bias into my SoCal course ratings because space is such an issue out there.

However, Coyote Point/Lake Casitas can hang with the very best. I like it better than Idlewild.

I built a slight amount of positive bias into my SoCal course ratings because space is such an issue out there.

However, Coyote Point/Lake Casitas can hang with the very best. I like it better than Idlewild.

Casitas and Sunrise are great courses, no question. Both of those are in my favorites list out of almost 400 played. It's the middle of the road and below courses in the LA area that were really overrated in my opinion.

Im getting to charlotte this year cant wait to play there course's. Ill make it out west in a couple years. The older post from Posey made me laugh the kentucky cult of dgcr classic. I am not the leader just the guy making the kool aid.

Obviously, you haven't encountered any Flip City Disciples yet.

They love their course, but I don't see them posting too much, the Grand Rapids people on the other hand...

What's more compelling?

This list of zip codes within 25 miles of 4.00+ courses:

Or this list of zip codes within 25 miles of 3.75+ courses:

Neither. 25 miles is too small of a radius. As I stated once, if one were to set their center point on downtown Dallas or downtown Forth Worth, they'd never reach the other city's downtown much less any courses beyond that. 50 miles would be a better barometer.

You also have to consider that the Zip Code search tends to be a bit on the liberal side and that a number of courses outside the selected radius make it into the results, therefore those courses should be omitted.

I agree with the 'set' radius rule, in that you can't really use it on a national level.

In cities like Los Angeles, a 35 mile drive might be 'ok' but just down the coast in San Diego, anything over 15 miles is considered far.

25 miles is too small of a radius. As I stated once, if one were to set their center point on downtown Dallas or downtown Forth Worth, they'd never reach the other city's downtown much less any courses beyond that. 50 miles would be a better barometer.

You also have to consider that the Zip Code search tends to be a bit on the liberal side and that a number of courses outside the selected radius make it into the results, therefore those courses should be omitted.

I understand what you're saying. I'm going more for meccas -- that is, groupings of good courses (and possibly lots of courses). Not necessarily metro areas. I realize this doesn't fit the original intent of the thread. (Metro area is meaningless to me, just due to definitions, and more importantly, due to practicality.)

Thanks for pointing out the nuances of the Zip Code search. I might just have to deal with it, as I'm not sure I have a better answer. If the world were perfect, I'd be able to do a radius from any given point, and not involve Zip Code at all.

I don't know about "best," but disc golf is thriving in Western NY. In the 3 years I've been playing, at least a 1/2 dozen new courses have been built from Rochester west to Buffalo's southtowns. And several more are in various planning stages. Many of the older courses have been updated and improved. One State Park Manager has stated he has 4000 acres and room for at least 2 more courses.

Neither. 25 miles is too small of a radius. As I stated once, if one were to set their center point on downtown Dallas or downtown Forth Worth, they'd never reach the other city's downtown much less any courses beyond that. 50 miles would be a better barometer.

I wonder how many states you could completely cross through the midpoint in the time it takes to get from Ft Worth to Rockwall, or have less people? Comparing DFW to other *metro areas* is like comparing dinosaurs to frogs and turtles.

Course reviews for Austin and DFW are so incredibly inflated. I've played most of them, and I don't mean to sound like a hater because I love playing in Texas, but some of the 4 and 5 star ratings are absurd.

I could flip flop KC and Des Moines all day depending on criteria. KC probably has better leagues and tournaments and is easily more fun, but Des Moines' courses are still better. Charlotte and the Twin Cities are really close as well, and they both have the potential to jump significantly in the next year or two with major course expansions. I think Austin gets a slight edge over DFW. But a real super sleeper is the Quad Cities on the border of Iowa and Illinois, easily a top 10 area in the country.

I've never been to Texas but it and Cali seem to get labeled as overrated more than other regions. I think it has more to do with the fact that so many better courses have emerged in the past 10 yrs and these large states are clinging to their once frontrunner status and continue to compare themselves to themselves. I really have no idea just a theme Ive noticed.

I've never been to Texas but it and Cali seem to get labeled as overrated more than other regions. I think it has more to do with the fact that so many better courses have emerged in the past 10 yrs and these large states are clinging to their once frontrunner status and continue to compare themselves to themselves. I really have no idea just a theme Ive noticed.

Or it could be jealousy. Since I only play in Texas, I have no way of knowing. I do know that most of the courses in Texas get beat down from overplaying and drought. There are times, the month of May for instance, when all of the courses are in great shape at once. At these times, I think the big ratings are fair. When drought hits the state, all of the courses are worn and dry. They wouldn't be worthy of big ratings at that time.

As a point of comparison, how would you rate a Minneapolis course covered in 8 inches of snow? I probably would rate it pretty low... or really low. It wouldn't be fair to the course, nor would it be fair for me to get on the internet and say the course is over rated because I had a less than stellar impression after a blizzard.

Texas and California are frequently hit with drought conditions. The locals understand... please try to understand, what you play on today may be completely different in two or three months, depending on the weather.

Ive never played in Texas or Cali...you make good points. It's just a frequent theme Ive heard from people who have played in these states.
Every Region has its hell season......snow, drought, excessive vegetaion, heat and so on. The size of Texas seems to mean many Texans have never played elsewhere. Just an internet observation from afar.

There are a few things in this list that Atlanta doesn't have because of geography (mountain, beach, and desert courses), but the one thing I'd most like to see emerge in my area would be local pros who actually give lessons. Feldberg and Climo have given group lessons in my area the past two years when they're in town for the Atlanta Open, but I don't think our local pros offer lessons at all. It could be you just have to ask and offer the right compensation, or maybe you have to know the right people and show enough talent for them to take you under their wing, but I've never heard of a local pro openly selling private lessons to whoever wants them.

Otherwise if Danger's list is a good measure of what makes a good local disc golf scene, Atlanta seems to be in pretty good shape despite our lack of course density. Thanks for making me feel better. :)

Also Atlantans can relate to Los Angeles in the "radius doesn't apply to us" category. 25 miles in Atlanta, especially at the wrong time of day or in the wrong direction at any time of day, can easily take over an hour to drive.

-The ability to play all year round
-Weekly's every weekday
-Monthly's every weekend
-Regular night events (lama, xmas at og)
-PDGA stuff multiple times a year
-Flat park courses
-Hilly park courses
-Mountain courses
-Courses at the beach
-Courses in the desert
-Courses in the city
-Open courses
-Highly technical courses
-Pro's who give lessons
-Two actual physical DG exclusive stores
-A couple of active, local clubs
-The most active DGCR weekly meet up forum. PERIOD!

I could care less about your 'radius' requirements because LA surpasses every radius in the country.

Last edited:
As a point of comparison, how would you rate a Minneapolis course covered in 8 inches of snow? I probably would rate it pretty low... or really low. It wouldn't be fair to the course, nor would it be fair for me to get on the internet and say the course is over rated because I had a less than stellar impression after a blizzard.
I think many players, who are happy to play in the winter in general, would find Blue Ribbon Pines still better in the winter than some of the Texas courses at any time. We have players who play every Tuesday night from Thanksgiving to March on 3.5-4 rated courses no matter what the weather or snow cover.

I think many players, who are happy to play in the winter in general, would find Blue Ribbon Pines still better in the winter than some of the Texas courses at any time. We have players who play every Tuesday night from Thanksgiving to March on 3.5-4 rated courses no matter what the weather or snow cover.

I'm certain the opposite is also true.

Ive never played in Texas or Cali...you make good points. It's just a frequent theme Ive heard from people who have played in these states.
Every Region has its hell season......snow, drought, excessive vegetaion, heat and so on. The size of Texas seems to mean many Texans have never played elsewhere. Just an internet observation from afar.

Texas and California have weather allowing for year around disc golfing. The relentless traffic the courses endure takes its toll over the years. The older courses become barren by those who constantly clear out the brush to make the course easier for the noob. The long droughts also have a negative effect for recovering growth. This can make what was once a great course into an average course... in a short time.

I know my voice may be alone in the wilderness on this one, but don't work so hard clearing the courses. The natural obstacles add charm and beauty to a course. Don't worry so much about your average score. Everyone plays the same course... I think harder courses are a lot more fun.

If you must do your time working at the course, pick up trash.

Last edited:
Texas and California have weather allowing for year around disc golfing. The relentless traffic the courses endure takes its toll over the years. The older courses become barren by those who constantly clear out the brush to make the course easier for the noob. The long droughts also have a negative effect for recovering growth. This can make what was once a great course into an average course... in a short time.

I know my voice may be alone in the wilderness on this one, but don't work so hard clearing the courses. The natural obstacles add charm and beauty to a course. Don't worry so much about your average score. Everyone plays the same course... I think harder courses are a lot more fun.

In regards to this; some of my favorite times playing a course are not long after installation. One gets to see the rough at it's roughest. Plus, often, not many are aware of course yet; and you have it to yourself. I have seen courses go from punishing to nearly wide open; due to rough clearing over the years. I have also seen; on rare occasions; where edges are left alone; that rough can get tougher over the years....

:rolleyes:

Not much love here for the Ann Arbor area. Within 50 miles of my zip code I have 11 4 star+ rated courses, and 51 total. I wouldn't call it the best area, since we've not quite got the geology for it, too flat, but there's a really strong scene. Good maintenance on courses, tournaments constantly, excellent players. The only time I've been to any of our quality courses and not found someone else playing was during a blizzard. And me and a friend still played 24 holes while 4 inches fell.
Oh, and we've got Discraft's HQ, too.

Latest posts