• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Step 1: get girl interested. Step 2: keep girl interested?

Technohic

* Ace Member *
Recently, after a few years of not being able to go disc golfing as much as I like, I finally got my fiance interested in playing and we go pretty often now.

It was tough, and the first time I took her out with me, a couple years ago; she was un-interested, wouldnt try it and would have no part in it. I played 2 holes with her glaring at me ready to go before we even got there. Now I finally got her to go out and give it a try, and immediately after, we were at the sporting goods store so she could get her own discs. She had caught the bug.

Now however; I am starting to see another issue and that is keeping her interested. We went out to practice driving, and she had her discs that she has used a few times. Problem is; there was a good constant headwind coming from about a 45 degree angle from the right front at us. Heck; I was only throwing 200-210' with one odd 240' throw that the wind must have let up for a split second; but she was only getting maybe 90' with her 150 leopard and shark.

Then she saw me bring home my nice new shiny disc and sounded like she wanted one. I advised against it until she could get those other ones going enough to see her actually have a throwing style, much less see what disc might do her well, but I am thinking I should have just got her one to keep that glow going. A shiny new toy always makes ya feel better.

I just done want her to get frustrated and give up, as that means less DG for me; so does anyone have any suggestions to keep her interested?

Also, it is hard for me to understand what she is up against with such a weak throw on what she needs to improve. Not that I have a big arm, because I dont; but any tips that I can give her to help her out?

It would be much appreciated.

Find ways to make practice and rounds more fun. If she's a competitive person, figure out a handicap that keeps the two of you close and lets either of you win. If she really wants a new disc that you know is too much for her, get it for her anyway and let her figure out on her own that she's not ready for it, she'll be more likely to listen to you about that in the future. Once she does realize she's not ready for it, she can set it aside and have a reason to practice and work up to being able to throw her new disc.

My gf really wanted a beast, and at the time was only throwing about 120'. She figured out quickly that 90' sharp hyzers weren't going to be that useful on the course, so she stuck to her shark for a while. After going through a light cheetah and a light valk and lots of practice, she can throw her beast 250' most days.

Last edited:
Step 2: is impossible

Definitely not, my gf has played all but one of the 120 courses I've played, and we get out and play at least 2-3 times per week (usually at least 36 holes, more on weekends). I consider myself pretty lucky though.

Go ahead and let her get all the shiny toys she wants, if she can't throw them then you can always trade them off on here or discaroo for something she can throw.

Other than that, try and get one of her girlfriends to go with you, if I was a chick in a male dominated sport I'd love to have another female to play/compete with.

Take her to an easier course to get her confidence up. That usually helps me. A lot of it is just having confidence. My bf tells me good throw and gives me tips to get a little better, that also helps.

Find ways to make practice and rounds more fun. If she's a competitive person, figure out a handicap that keeps the two of you close and lets either of you win. If she really wants a new disc that you know is too much for her, get it for her anyway and let her figure out on her own that she's not ready for it, she'll be more likely to listen to you about that in the future. Once she does realize she's not ready for it, she can set it aside and have a reason to practice and work up to being able to throw her new disc.
That handicap is some of the best advice I've heard. If it were me though I'd keep it close but made sure I always won, haha :D

Plus my gf is stubborn too. Most of the time I just watch her fail until she feels like asking me for help, then I know it's ok to give advice.

Just keep it fun, be helpful, but don't overwhelm her with information so she feels like you're being controlling.

Thanks for the tips guys.

She has put out an invite to her sister; who's husban plays so that might help.

She hyzers even the 150 shark :eek: I am wondering if maybe I should get her a 150 Stingray, if that might even help her. Kinda way over-compensating but just might make it straight for her.

I might know a nice easy course to take her to; good idea!

I'm kinda in the same boat, but not as far into it. My GF has only gone once with me to a 9 hole course, She played 9 and when I was ready to play the 9 again to get a full 18, she said she would sit out that round. Also, one of my friends was with us so I think she felt a little embarrassed around him. She keeps telling me she will go again, but she only wants to go with me only. which is fine. but everytime I ask her she doesn't feel like it.
She's 28 now, but she got scholarship out of HS to play college softball so I know she would be pretty good if I could just get her to want to play.
Anyone have pointers for me to get her more interested?

Its just gotta happen IMO. Does she have her own discs? Not crap hand-me-downs like most chicks get from their boyfriends...stuff she actually picked out? That might be a great way to get her interested....once she finds "her" disc she will be much happier.

And yeah, it does seem to be a "private" thing until she gets confidence in her ability.

Best thing I can think of is not to make it just to go play DG. Throw something in there like "Hey, this Saturday lets go disc golf then go out to Dairy Qeen or Coldstone afterwards, then maybe we can go to a movie that night."

What you throw in there can be customized to something they really like doing.

Her own discs are a good idea. My fiance just loved getting a pink leopard and a purple shark.

Then she saw me bring home my nice new shiny disc and sounded like she wanted one. I advised against it until she could get those other ones going enough to see her actually have a throwing style, much less see what disc might do her well, but I am thinking I should have just got her one to keep that glow going. A shiny new toy always makes ya feel better.

Let her be your equal. If she wants something fun, let her get something fun. She can decide for herself if she enjoys it and if it helps her game or not. LOL I had a hard time even writing "let her blah blah". The notion of allowing my wife to buy something that costs about $10 is laughable to me. If she wants it, she will buy it.

I guess what I'm saying is: even if you're more of an expert, it might be helpful to just go out and play with her without doing the "teaching" thing. Or at least not teaching unless she asks...and in that case not going overboard.

Step 2: is impossible
Really.

Hubby and I started out together and now I play more than he does.

Get her a really nice pink FADE bag and let her pick out some discs but try to stay in the 150 class if possible. I was really surprised by the discs that helped my game the most, and they wouldn't have been ones I'd have picked had we only gone by flight characteristics.....the Cobra, Surge, and Monarch were huge "Aha"s for me.

When we play with newbies (in their first year of playing), we change the rules a bit:
- If you can throw and empty beer can farther than your disc, you get another throw on the "Beer Can Rule".
- If you get a new disc and flub it, you get the "New Disc Rule".
- You get 1 mulligan per hole.
- To hole out, you only have to hit the basket somewhere, anywhere.

These all seem to keep the frustration level to a minimum and the fun factor high.

I love the idea of making it part of a date night....something you love and she doesn't hate, then something you both like.

Last edited:
Let her be your equal. If she wants something fun, let her get something fun. She can decide for herself if she enjoys it and if it helps her game or not. LOL I had a hard time even writing "let her blah blah". The notion of allowing my wife to buy something that costs about $10 is laughable to me. If she wants it, she will buy it.

I guess what I'm saying is: even if you're more of an expert, it might be helpful to just go out and play with her without doing the "teaching" thing. Or at least not teaching unless she asks...and in that case not going overboard.

lol Im no expert. Well; how is it they say it? "Those that can; do. Those that can't; teach."? I would be more of a teacher type lol

I generally tell her that her throw looked nice, then will say here and there "Try this" but right now she doesnt want that. She told me she wants to get a throw first and then have me help correct what she is doing wrong; which once someones set in there ways, it is 10 times more difficult to correct little things, but thats what makes her happy, so I let it go.

Really.

Hubby and I started out together and now I play more than he does.

Get her a really nice pink FADE bag and let her pick out some discs. Stay in the 150 class, though.

When we play with newbies (in their first year of playing), we change the rules a bit:
- If you can throw and empty beer can farther than your disc, you get another throw on the "Beer Can Rule".
- If you get a new disc and flub it, you get the "New Disc Rule".
- You get 1 mulligan per hole.
- To hole out, you only have to hit the basket somewhere, anywhere.

These all seem to keep the frustration level to a minimum and the fun factor high.

I love the idea of making it part of a date night....something you love and she doesn't hate, then something you both like.

Those are hilarious rules. Do you carry an empty beer can as a test object?!

Those are hilarious rules. Do you carry an empty beer can as a test object?!

Even better is to carry a full beer can (if it isnt outside park rules) and then hand it to them and say "Here is your future empty beer can."

I'd let her buy what she wants. My wife generally throws rings but we were at a disc store recently and she wanted an Epic and an Arrow. I knew she couldn't throw the Epic but let her buy them anyway. She throws the Arrow well and of course can't throw Epic at all. But she got what she wnated.

I am not a fan of handicaps but try playing a game like RIPT.

Only teach when she asks for advice or seems very frustrated with her throw. Even when she is obviously doing something that is killing her distance or is technically against the rules(ie stepping in front of her marker). If she is having fun, keep your mouth shut and let her play. And the hanicap thing is a great idea but even that can be thrown out. Just let her compete against herself if she wants. My wife knows I'm more consistent,(I practice she doesn't) if she was trying to beat me even with a handicap I think it would frustrate her. Having a disc that she can be consistently STRAIGHT and hopefully FAR with is also very big. If she's always in the trees she is going to hate it.